TKR The Knees and Me - staged

Oooh, I really like the idea of having been *upgraded*! @nensi, so thanks for that!
 
Indeed! We ought to start writing "my upgraded knee" instead of "operated knee" (singular or plural)

-(does singular have a plural and is plural a singular word... no don't derail ... just giggle)-
 
Into week 5 and beginning to see some of that hope thing everyone keeps talking about :snork:

Yesterday went well, walked around the yard some and puttered around the house a lot. If this keeps up, I'll be back to a normal routine before too long. The knee behaved, not needing a lot of ice or elevation...

...until bedtime. Then the Pillow Dance went into high gear. Under the leg, on the floor, between the legs...some nights nothing seems to fit. I finally ended up on the couch with an ice bag and an extra Tylenol.

PT today, and maybe a shopping trip with the husband. Onward!
 
I know the pillow dance partner well! I've been trying to follow his lead for the last 10 weeks and I would like to ban him from my dance card However I don't see that happening any time soon so I guess I will just dance along and see what happens!
 
PT, and she slipped a couple of new exercises in on me. My flex has improved to 102. Since my arthritic knee has only 107, I don't have far to go to match that.

Had to call in for a Percocet refill, which meant a trip to the big city to pick up the scrip, then on to Wally World to get the actual pills. In between we did some grocery shopping while waiting for the pills. I did fine up to a point, then both knees called it quits. I parked on a bench and tried to look as blase' as it is possible to look in Wal-Mart, while DH finished the shopping.

It took them 45 minutes to fill that prescription! Believe me, I was so happy to get home to the recliner and an ice bag! City life has its moments, but for the most part I am glad to be away from all that!
 
Not much to report today. No ill effects from yesterday's excursion to Wal-Mart. Learned from the therapist that some of my goals are: walk 75 feet to the car without a cane, walk 300 and 500 feet with a cane. Crouching and all that to follow later. It helps to know what is ahead.

Tried going up the stairs foot over foot. Doable, but I had to take it slow. Was able to back down too. Haven't tried going down foot over foot yet.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Goals are OK, as long as they're flexible. Don't be too concerned at meeting them, because you knee is healing at its own speed, and not following your PT's agenda.
It's only a month since your surgery and walking down stairs one foot at a time can take as long as 4 month - and that's normal, too.

By the way, it's best not to discuss other people's progress on you thread.
 
Well, it finally happened my left knee, the arthritic one, blew up on me. I kept telling the therapist that these barre exercises might be a problem for that leg. We may have to talk next session.

Anyway, the exercises are simple enough: lift the surgery leg to the front 10 times twice. Do the same to the back. Then to the side. Then bend the knee 10 times twice. Resting is OK, maybe I should do more of it, but at the end my 'good' leg is quite unhappy. The right leg has no problems at all. Anyone else have this sort of issue?

One good thing, the Ibuprofen I'm taking for the left knee is letting me go longer between Percocet doses. I'm leaving the Tylenol in the bottle for now.
 
@rubyyarn I also have standing exercises to do--similar to yours--doesn't hurt my op knee or my still to be upgraded knee but that still to be upgraded knee's leg does get tired with bearing my weight through all the reps. Taking breaks to walk around helps.
 
Well, it finally happened my left knee, the arthritic one, blew up on me. I kept telling the therapist that these barre exercises might be a problem for that leg. We may have to talk next session.

Anyway, the exercises are simple enough: lift the surgery leg to the front 10 times twice. Do the same to the back. Then to the side. Then bend the knee 10 times twice. Resting is OK, maybe I should do more of it, but at the end my 'good' leg is quite unhappy. The right leg has no problems at all. Anyone else have this sort of issue?
All those exercises are too much at this early stage , they're not good for you un-operated leg, and they're unnecessary at this stage. I suggest you stop them all.
 
@Celle, I think these are strengthening exercises. When would they be appropriate? They are hard on my arthritic leg, but don't hurt my new knee at all. I do wonder what the purpose of PTL is once extension/flexion is achieved?
 
You should wait until at least three months after a TKR before starting strengthening exercises. Before that, your leg will be gaining strength from your daily activities.
 
OK. That makes sense. I'll hold off on those at least until the left leg can take it. Thank you for the advice :smile2:
 
Sounds like you are doing well, rubyyarn, getting glimpses of your normal now and again. I bet that feels wonderful. You are 10 days ahead of me so I'm going to pencil that in on my calendar for August 2 !
Keep up the good work and remember - don't join the ODIC !
 
@nensi, it seemed to happen suddenly. I think having to worry about the arthritic knee caused me to realize that the new knee was feeling pretty good :yes!:

Onward!
 
It's nice when the operated knee becomes the good knee.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom