Guest viewing is limited

TKR The Knees and Me - staged

Mornings are falling into a routine. Up, bathroom, tea, wait for Percocet fumes to subside.

I would love to get rid of the Percocet, but don't know how. Currently I can't seem to go more than 5 hours between pills. I see others using Tylenol, but when I tried it, it only worked for an hour before I was back on the Percocet. I am now in my 4th week (counting the surgery as Week 1).

I seem to be healing OK, can get around the house without assistance. Have PT today, but I plan to start walks outside tomorrow. I am really really tired of just sitting!
 
I can relate on being tired of sitting around. But, with the heat we're having, I probably wouldn't be outside anyway.

Take the Percocet as long as you need to. Before long, you'll forget a pill, or go a little longer between them, or maybe even sleep through your nighttime dose time. It seems to happen naturally. I hated the way they made me feel, but hated the knee pain more!
 
Yeah, once i started going 6hrs between doses, I decided to replace one dose with 1000mg tylenol. I was mildly sore but made it to the next dose. Just kept doing that til I was off daytime Percocet. I kept my percocet at night for almost a month after I was on tylenol all day. I was motivated bc I needed to get back to driving so I weaned by 2.5 weeks. I'm taking it slower this time.
 
I get to 6 hours now and then , but not consistently . The one time I took Tylenol I took 500mg. Maybe in a few days...
 
You may need it for awhile yet and that's ok. Don't push yourself to get rid of it because suffering isn't worth it. It will just happen naturally when you forget to take a dose because....you're not in pain.:flwrysmile:
 
The one time I took Tylenol I took 500mg.
500 MG is too small a dose. The effective dose of Tylenol for post-op pain relief is 1,000 mg, 4 times a day (4-6-houry), to a total of 4,000 mg in any 24 hours.
Do check that none of the other medications you are taking contains Tylenol (Acetaminophen). If they do, include that amount in your calculations of your daily dose total.
 
@Celle, I figure with the Percocet5-325 I can take 4 500 MG Tylenol in a 24 hour period. Sounds like I should take the bigger dose in place of a percocet.

I'll try that when I get the nerve.
 
PT today. A lot of it involved standing on my left leg while I moved my right leg in all directions. Showed me how out of shape I am all over, cause the left leg ached as much as the right one did. Got another massage today to continue work on all the stiffened muscles in the right thigh. Apparently the hip flexor she worked on the other day was still loose, but everything else...eek!

I know when I turn onto my side my knee feels like a bag of rocks; maybe this is why. Looking forward to tonight to see if that sensation is improved. Had to do some heel slides, pulling my foot backwards under a chair. Then she brought out the groan-o-meter to measure the flex. 98 degrees. Then she said something about 'window of opportunity'. Uh oh...

Whatever, as long as she doesn't do any pushing and shoving.

Don't know if it was the heat, the therapy, or what, but I got pretty restless just sitting in the recliner. My husband suggested a walk and I jumped on that. The knees weren't too happy... "Aw, gee, we weren't gonna do this until tomorrooooow..." But we were all in a better mood by the time we got back into the house.

I do think the exercise was better for me than not.
 
Nice report Ruby - I love it - "groan-o-meter" -- ain't that the truth. Don't pay attention to that "window of opportunity" - I think there is even an article about the myth of that on here. Your flexion sounds awesome at this point in your recovery. Walking is excellent exercise.
 
Ruby, you have excellent flexion and should have no concerns at all in that regard. I'd kill for that number, lol.
 
I wish my PT did massage. I feel kinda robbed. Just lame exercuses that I can do at home. I only like one machine. Otherwise, I'm basically not getting a lot out of it.
 
wowza rubyyarn ~ your r.o.m. measured at 98 degrees? you have nothing to worry about. i wish mine was that good. glad you enjoyed your walk. i love the "groan-o-meter" ~ so true, especially when they push you just a little bit further.:groan:
 
Ruby, I think you are doing great as well. Recovery moves so slowly. It feels like it has been forever, but it has been less than a month. I try very hard not to look to far into the future because I want to be there now.
 
I woke up today to two unhappy knees. Yep, the 'good' knee had decided that enough was enough, that I was not to stand on it for 60 reps of anything without consequences! I probably should alternate the barre exercises with sitting exercises for the time being. Meanwhile, all the exercises the therapist wanted me to do this weekend probably won't happen until the arthritic knee calms down.

I'm content with my flexion/extension, especially after reading about all the problems so many here have with that. In the hospital my legs were kept straight, so no problem with extension. The rest will happen. The therapist who evaluated me said my goal was to be a 'community ambulator', i.e., able to walk around, shop, etc. Nothing about being a trapeze artist.

I think the massage is meant to loosen specific muscles so I can do heel slides at peak efficiency. That is what they measure, after all.

So today will be spent with my knee elevated and ice bag in place. Maybe I can make some headway on the lace edging I am knitting.
 
Your ROM is just fine. Main thing now is to keep your knees, both original and new, happy and healing. The original knee is probably a bit compromised also, and can use some TLC, even if it doesn't complain lots. You still need it to be well-behaved for a bit. Use this weekend to rest, elevate, and ice. Show your knees you love them. :roseshwr:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom