Guest viewing is limited

TKR The Knees and Me - staged

Took the knee out for a spin yesterday. One of the grand-nieces was getting married. She had chosen for the ceremony to take place in the middle of a field on top of a mountain. At least, it looked like a mountain to me. Actually, it was more of a good-sized mound, rather like an Indian burial mound. I told my husband "This could take a while..."

Fortunately two SUVs had been pressed into service to haul the old and the lame around. Guess I qualified. Anyway, I managed to crawl onto the running board and, with a lift from DH, get into the vehicle.

At the top of the mound you could see far and wide. It was a beautiful September day, about 85 degrees. The ceremony, which included a tree-planting ceremony, was lovely. The reception afterwards was in a lower pasture, so we got another ride in the SUV.

The knee held up pretty well, considering. I had to use the cane because of the uneven ground. I made it for about 2 hours and then we had to leave. The youngsters had set up a dance floor and coolers full of wine and beer. I expect they had a fine ol' party before it was all over.

When we got home, I crawled under an ice bag and took a nap. No ill effects as of today :yes!:

Hopefully, by the next big family gathering I will have two functional knees and not have to be a party-pooper.
 
@rubyyarn Overall sounds like a good venture out--and great to look forward to fully functioning knees at the next gathering. And you're brave to take on entering a big SUV.
 
Well I'd say that was a bit of a challenging location @rubyyarn! Uneven ground is tough, and a steep hill or mound with a new knee and one ready to fizzle out would be mighty ouchy. I'm glad you were able to get into the SUV, enjoy the ceremony and view and best of all, feel just fine today; whoohoo!

Just think, next year, you'll be ready for Everest!
 
Well, maybe not Everest, but I hope to persuade DH into a dance next time :loveshwr:

Once knee#2 is done, I can walk further without something fishy happening.

Tomorrow is the day!
 
Dancing seems reasonable @rubyyarn but don't strike Everest off your list, lol!

How is your stress level today?
 
Not too bad. I try not to worry about it.

Hey! This time tomorrow I will be out of surgery!
 
'Atta girl!

Yes, this time tomorrow it will all be over and we can look forward to your slurred, fuzzy posts from the "Other Side," LOL.
 
We will be here cheering you on every " step" of the way! As I told my PT, I liken this to a trip to the dentist, in a short while it will be OVER! You will be soooooo happy you have this behind you! I waited 2 yrs between with every step hurting. You are MUCH smarter than I! All the BEST for you! (( ))
 
Thanks, Helen! That's why I staged mine, 'cause I knew the other one wouldn't get any better. The bi-laterals might have the right idea, get it all out of the way at once. But my doc doesn't do those.

I do look forward to two good knees and...mobility! I haven't walked easily for many years. Hopefully I can remember how :)
 
Fortunately two SUVs had been pressed into service to haul the old and the lame around

I laughed out loud for quite a while at this image. I think this should be another badge, @Pheebs52 and @Thesoutherncook. "Eminently haulable: O & L." (Make people wonder what the letters stand for).

@rubyyarn, I'll be sending good vibes your way tomorrow morning! Certainly you have one of the best attitudes about doing this that I've ever seen. With my first and only (so far), I had involuntary tears leaking out of my eyes all the way up to the 5th floor. Embarrassing, huh? I guess my lacrimal system was trying to help me alleviate the stress! I expect you'll go in there like Rocky conquering the steps.
 
You are so going to love having two new knees! :happydance: Maybe not at first, because most new knees are not lovable at all in the first few weeks, but after that. When you stride down a street, waltz around the house doing chores, or simply stroll the aisles of the supermarket. You will be glad you got rid of both bad knees.
 
Oh, @Polkadot, for my first knee I was pretty scared. Had no idea what to expect or even how long the hospital stay would last.

But for the last 3 months I have had BoneSmart and that has made such a difference!

There will be pain, but it will pass. I may walk like the Tin Woodman, but that will pass. And so will all the other knee recovery :censored:

I have done all I can do to get ready; there is nothing to do but do it :yes:
 
Best of luck to you tomorrow. You are ahead of me in the staging game, but I'll get there. It will be so nice when you don't have that painful knee to walk on. I'll look forward to seeing you on the other side.
 
Good luck tomorrow, keep us apprised of your progress. We had our (first) TKR just a day apart so it's been interesting to follow your journey. :martini: Cheers!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom