TKR The Knees and Me - staged

I had sedation and a spinal. Woke up clear-headed in the recovery room. No memory at all of the surgery, which is as I wanted it! If I had had my phone with me I would have posted from the recovery room. Not sleepy at all, only chilly and wanting a warm blanket.
 
@rubyyarn, I actually wanted GA, but my surgeon doesn't do it for tkr; pffft! That said, the spinal/sedation thing worked in such a way for me that I never knew anything whatsoever about the needle stick; zip, nada. They must have given me a hefty dose of "Happy Juice," prior because I never even saw the OR, lol.

@Fire wolf, yikes!!!:yikes:
 
@Polkadot they tried talking me out of GA as well, but I am persistent!:snork: I did get to see everyone in their "spacesuits" in the OR as well when I got there.
@rubyyarn I am sure you will pick the best way for you! :yes:
 
@rubyyarn I had the spinal with sedation as well and have absolutely no memory of the spinal. I also had a block put in my thigh just above the knee before going to the or and that one I felt, but it was so worth it because it lasted through the first 24 to 30 hours and really cut down on the pain while I was in the hospital.

The last week before my 2nd knee, I was so nervous, wondering what I was thinking! My knee had to be done, though, if I was going to have any quality of life, so I just held onto my mantra - after this, never again, never again. I am 6 weeks out from #2 and still recovering, but already glad they are both done and I don't have to look forward to ever having to do this again.
 
I had spinal with sedation - do not remember one thing between the pre-op area and the recovery area -- I remember being wheeled to my room after surgery and one of my former students who is now an xray tech was holding up an xray showing my new knee with implant - then I zonked out again . . I remember being quite nervous ahead of time as I did not want to see, hear, or feel anything . . .and I didn't. I hope all goes great for you Ruby.
 
I told my surgeon if I heard a saw, drill or hammer, he'd be in "Deep ____er....stuff!" Seemed to work, lol.
 
Got the pre-op labs and paperwork done today and took the opportunity to quiz both the physician's assistant and the doc himself about the anesthesia. Turns out the doc prefers his patients under general anesthesia they don't have to spend any more time than necessary in the operating room. Made sense to me. I prefer that anyone cutting on me be completely happy with the circumstances before doing so :yes:

So...I will do the general again and give them a heads up about the nausea issue. My surgery is at 7:30 AM again :yes!:
 
Last edited:
Hospitals are so fun. DH and I were waiting for me to be called in for pre-op lab tests. There were some other people also waiting including a couple maybe a bit younger than we. I think the woman was facing hip surgery. Anyway, she was reading the Highly Important Things You've Gotta Know when she suddenly exclaims "Can't have marijuana? Dang!" She was kidding, I think.

The tests were...well...tests. For some reason, the urine test involves peeing into a pill bottle. Whatever happened to the Dixie Cup sized specimen jar? Needless to say, it was a rather disgusting experience.

But the rest of the day...wonderful! I walked all over the hospital, including a long walk to where the car was parked. Then on to the grocery story. All of this with the cane reposing happily in the car. The hips and thighs were somewhat sore from lack of exercise when I got home, but the knee was happy as a clam. No problems, not even the desire for an ice bag until much later.

Life is good.
 
It sounds as though the hospital took their cost-cutting measures in the wrong area if one must urinate into a pill bottle; egads! How messy!

Glad to hear your doc will use GA and knows about your past nausea experiences. And I agree, a happy doc does a better job! Good deal on the 7:30 start time; whoohoo!

When is the big day?
 
Yeah, Tuesday is the big day :)

I'm hoping to report the hospital stay, just 'cause hospitals can be so strange. But I may be too fuzzy-headed to figure out the tablet :heehee:
 
You'll figure it out @rubyyarn! Why? Because you'll be bored silly, lol. I hope this is just a one night stay?
 
@Pheebs52, last time I was stuck there for 3 nights. Hopefully, if the nausea can be kept at bay, I can go home sooner. I HATE having to request assistance to go to the bathroom!

It's probably a good thing I didn't have Bonesmart then...the stories (complaining?) would have been epic!
 
Eeeuw....3 nights? Nah, you definitely don't want that! I had one night and that was more than enough for me, lol. So, no nausea allowed, right? Your surgeon knows this right? Of course he does. Just reiterate this to them on the morning of the BIG Day!
 
True, my mistake, and you will spend more time with him/her prior to being wheeled in.
 
Dang! Flunked the urine test...again! Got the glad news this morning that I must take the antibiotic...again! Bet anything I don't have a UTI...again!

It's rigged, I tell you, rigged! Maybe some fat old ladies can successfully pee into a pill bottle, but I sure can't :gaah:

But I'll be a good girl and do the drill. At least this time I'll be finished with the pills before the surgery.

Rant over...
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom