TKR The Knees and Me - staged

Hiya @Pheebs52!

The way I figured it, I could do two separate 12 month recoveries, or one 15 month recovery. I save about 9-10 months of recovery by staging them. Weird logic, I guess...
 
Actually, I find that rather interesting logic @rubyyarn, so I must be weird; hah! Though I kneed another one done, I just can't quite come to grips with that idea for myself, for a variety of reasons. I really want another year and a household relocation done before I have to walk this walk again, but I admire those of you who are brave enough to go the *Stager* route. FWIW, @Thesoutherncook, Helen, has Stager Badges and we also have T-Shirts. Ask and you shall receive!:heehee:
 
Oo, I like t-shirts! Maybe..."Walking: One Knee At A Time".

And I understand wanting to wait, to make sure the first knee is settled in...but I couldn't do that. Knowing it was in the future. Waiting for the pain to get bad enough to take the plunge...

Knee #2 helped a lot by blowing up on a regular basis ever since knee #1 was done. Such a bad girl.
 
rubyyarn ~ you have an excellent plan for your 2nd knee replacement. you know what to do and what not to do, ie. recliner. take good care of yourself up until your surgery date and then after and you will come through just fine. hope you'll let us know how it goes.:flwrysmile:
 
Your plan sounds sensible to me. Of course, I'm the gal who decided to get both over with at once. Part of that rationale was just what you're saying about not wanting to wait for the pain to get worse and be hampered all over again by a bad knee. We all have to live with our quirks, so whatever works best for a person.

I'm just so happy to hear about you being happy with your surgery. Not reading about the problems helped you stay strong and in that way you've proven you know yourself very well!
 
I'm coming out of the fog of the staged TKRs. As im slowly getting my life back, I'm glad theyre both behind me. But I will say, in some ways, the second was easier. Well, for me, the 2nd was physically easierbc my quads weren't nearky as damaged. But I also had all my tricks - I knew what to eat with my meds, I knew what I needed help with. I knew how to sleep, how to get in/out of the car. How to stay on top of the poop business. Etc. And I knew that I just had to survive those first 10-12 days bc that first corner was there. Lurking. Somewhere. And I would indeed turn it. And I did.

Good luck on surgery #2.
 
I've always said the staged TKRs along with bilaterals are superheroes! I soooo don't want to do my left knee, but you all are great role models! I am glad I'm retired so I won't have the deadline of returning to work hanging over my head when I actually do it.
 
I guess a lot of my decision was made for me: My doc doesn't do bi-laterals :heehee:

And after reading how strenuous this surgery is for the doc, I'm just as glad to have him alert and rested while working on knee #2.

I'm just looking forward to having this OVER!
 
I cannot even imagine having to have 2 done either at the same time or staged. So far my right knee is happy, and I hope he stays that way. But if he doesn't, I have many superheroes on BoneSmart who will lead the way.
 
Part of my decision to wait has been just how extraordinarily well-behaved my *righty* aka "Sweet Loretta," has been through all this "Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine," business. She's really been a trooper, despite being rather uglier on X-Rays and MRI than the TKR, lefty. In all honesty, I don't get it, but I'm not about to question her model behavior! I just keep crossing my fingers, hahaha! That said, I won't let her go too long as I can certainly see how problematic that can become, from my own experience and from that of so many others here. I really do admire all of you who just go for it before a year is up! You're my heroes and wonderful role-models for all of us *waity-wimps! *
 
I've changed the title of my thread a bit earlier than I had planned, but suddenly I've been affected by the impending surgery on knee #2. Today I was both restless and sleepy, prowling around under a cloud of doom.

Then I realized that, as much as I want this second knee, I am not looking forward to going under the knife again. Once I realized what the problem was I was able to calm down. The choice has been made, so no need to worry. But I still find my heart in my throat now and then. Gulp.

Eleven days...
 
Oh @rubyyarn, I can just picture that cartoon guy from L'il Abner with the cloud always hanging over his head. I think his name was Joe Bpftslk or something similar, and he wasn't facing a TKR! I'd be alarmed if you didn't have your heart in your throat every now and then; who wouldn't? But, if you postponed, then the question becomes, "If not now, when?" Sooner or later you'd be facing the exact same scenario and your pretzel-logic a few days ago was superb! You've made the right decision for you and your knees. Don't go down that second-guessing rabbit hole, eh? It's dark and smelly down there, lol. Just keep your bright lines on and the end result in sight. You're going to rock this gig!
 
Oh, no, @Pheebs52, no way am I putting this off! I'd hate having to wait, then start again from scratch!

I seem to feel like this when surgery is imminent. I'll get over it :thumb:
 
Went grocery shopping today and knee #2 grumbled the entire time. 10 days, Miz Knee, 10 days...

Pre-op paperwork and labs happen Wednesday. I was impressed with the needlework of the orthopedic staff last time. They were able to get blood out of me with little pain or bruising...and I hate needles!

Hopefully I can document this stay from the beginning. Then again, I may not be able to use a tablet while under the influence...:elevate:
 
The anticipation must be unsettling. One day at a time until then and from then on. And then it's maybe a bit easier. All the best to you...
 
Oh it's the worst. Mine were closer than yours but right at that 9w mark, I started feeling human again and then bam! Surgery #2 was upon me. Hang in there. Just do all the things right now - I traveled, I went to a Braves game, I swam...so much fun crammed into that week. Lol.
 
What date is your second TKR, Ruby?

Have you joined the September Sapphires monthly group yet?
Just post your second surgery date in the
2017 September Sapphires - Are you having knee surgery in September?
thread at the top of the Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area page and you'll be added to the list.
It's a good idea to get to know your fellow BoneSmarties who will be getting new joints this month. We've found that it helps to have a group of folks who are going through surgery and do it as a team....helping and supporting each other.
 
prowling around under a cloud of doom.
Oh, yeah! I know that cloud well! I was hedging my bets right up to a couple of days before surgery #2--but in the end I'm glad I got the surgery, even though there have been some hard days. As people on here say--once we have the 2nd surgery it's behind us and nothing but recovery ahead.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom