Guest viewing is limited

THR Tee (AKA Frieds) Flipping to "the other side"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I iced as long as I had swelling; and I know I had swelling til at least 3 weeks out.....
 
I don't know but I still ice.. Only a couple of times a day.. But still doing it


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Ok next question. Anyone else have "scab pain". All my pain is in good shape but since nurse took off bandage yesterday the incision is sensitive. I think it's scabbing and then when I get up off the bed that it pulls or rubs. In the scheme of life I guess not a huge deal but wondering if normal or what can be done.

Tee


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I had my bandage on for 2 weeks before it was removed on this past Monday. On Tuesday I had incision pain.. I am thinking it was the pulling of bandage and movement of wound. It felt better today. It was odd that all if a sudden the incision hurt the day after bandage came off..


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Psych - well yesterday I too felt the adhesive sting an discomfort after having an amazingly clingy huge bandage on for a week. When I walk and move it doesn't hurt today but after I've been laying and have to get up I feel it for a bit. I think since left leg and I am on left side of bed getting up it just pulls on scab as its still healing and drying. Hoping normal but can be annoying :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@frieds I am just catching up with you. I have not been spending as much time on here as prior to surgery due to being so tired. I am feeling less tired today so I am trying to catch up. I had surgery on June 3rd. I am following right behind you. The back sleeping is starting to get to me. It does help to prop your legs and feet up. I am impressed with the size of your scar and @pyschteach scar. I had the anterior lateral procedure done and I have no clue what my scars look like. I get to see them tomorrow and I am a bit nervous. I don't look forward to having to deal with the incision pain without the bandage as it does sound annoying. I hope it doesn't last long.
 
@frieds <Snort!> I also had the anterior-lateral procedure & now boast an 8"-er on a part of my body I never was particularly interested in seeing! Now -- even less...frankly, I couldn't see this beauty even if I wanted to... Too much...um... tissue kind of impedes visibility! I don't remember any extra or new pain when the bandage came off, btw.

I remember back-sleeping -- UGH -- rarely could find a comfy spot; did that for 6 weeks. And then POOF -- the light came back on! Night before I went home from rehab I decided to try turning on to my non-op side, & found I could do it! Ok, my teeth were gritted & I wasn't screaming TOO loud, & scar & the rest is history. You'll be fine.
 
@frieds - my bandage came off on Day 8 and I've only had steri-strips since then which are supposed to stay on until they fall off. Some tenderness and itchiness but no pain. Tired of sleeping on my back - tried to sleep on good side but then it tugs at the incision.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @frieds. . I still have staples in which are covered... they not due to be removed until day 14 but I can definitely feel a pull on them as it's healing. It is starting to get a itchy sensation if that makes sense and I have to ice it a bit to ease it. It is particularily uncomfortable at night and wakes me if i lie on it too much. But as with @shrinkette my incision is very long I now suspect even longer than I thought closer to a foot... the shorter incision may be healing quicker so drying out and scabbing over....

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
My incision is sore. I feel it when I rub past it and if it is bumped, the only day I would say it bothered me at other times is the day after the removal of bandage. I was a little worried.. I think the waterproof bandage keeps it in place and when it is off it moves a little ore when you move and thus stretches.. I would not worry if it looks good and not open anywhere.


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
The back sleeping is getting to me too! My neck hurts.

I think the incision burning has more to do with stages of healing than the bandage. I was able to take my bandage off at day five. My incision is glued so no steri strips or staples. I didn't feel a burning or pulling until today which is day 8 for me.
 
@frieds You go girl! You are moving right along. My incisions do burn and itch. They also feel tight. I notice if I lay down for to long and than get up the incisions do tug and pull while walking. I am still very early on. My first shower won't be until Sunday and I can't wait. It will be nice to get cleaned up. I am using ice around the clock. I am actually elevating and icing now while on the laptop. Keep up the great work!
 
Dumb question: surgery was May 28. Today is day 9 at home. At what point can I venture out on short trip like to get a meal out? I'm off walker and very stable on cane - PT said next week may not need cane. Moving around house great - so curious when can be a tad adventurous. Perhaps need to ask OS but curious what others have done. I'm very nervous about getting in and out of car but going a bit stir crazy!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Day 11 - progress. Off pain meds completely and just taking the blood thinner (aspirin), Celebrex and iron - along with requisite stool softener.

Am walking outside a bit on cane and going up and downstairs few times each day with large periods if lazy rest and tv watching in between. Last night - slept seven hours straight through. Can't remember last time i did that (and was in my back even)!!!

Itching to venture out - have lunch or dinner with hubby. Is it safe?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @frieds,

I have been out most days as I would go nuts in all day. I haven't had a problem as long as I know there is plenty of space for the car to pull close to the door and there is a less abled toilet or wheelchair accessible loo in a venue. Also recline the car seat back to get in and out... I envy your sleep though I find elevating my leg sore on the back of my knee and wakes me up. Enjoy the meal if you get out and about!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@frieds Hi Tee, I went out for a block party in our neighborhood yesterday evening and am getting ready to go out for breakfast with my SO this morning! I say go for it if you feel up to it. I haven't been in the car yet, but I don't think it will be an issue with my anterior incision. I'll find out in a few minutes! Like @NoraJ says, you can recline the car seat to get in and out. Enjoy!
 
Hi @frieds,
Did you venture out yesterday? I hope you did get to have a change of scenery!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@Nora - thanks for checking in on me. On Sunday (post op day 11) I did venture out for breakfast. Was scared and nervous but needed to see how it would go. Husband has a jeep wrangler so getting in was tricky the first time - but went slow and steady (and per someone's previous suggestion put garbage bag on seat so could turn easier) and figured out how to safely do it. I'm sure I look way worse than feel, but precautions!

Long story short it was a nice break and to see the outside world. Wasn't much walking but have decided that I need to think about seating options before I opt to venture out. Booth vs chair etc - always prefer booth but went for hard chair - right decision. Thinking may need to travel with small travel pillow to sit on just in case. So, out for about 45 mins and then back home to rest. Was tired.

Last night (day 12-13) was having some random muscle like twitches or aches. Hard to describe. Felt in top of thigh - guess where titanium and bone came together. Maybe just nerves waking up? Wasn't super painful but definitely something firing a bit so took pain killer - something I haven't done in a few days. Luckily slept from 11-6am so doing ok.

Hope my hip buddies are well (particularly Nora and Sharri) go go May 28thers!!!! Xoxox

Teri


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Teri @frieds,
I'm glad you got out it does help to make you fell more normal! I went for dinner last night and regretted not bringing a cushion I think I paid the price for a hard low chair today. I get tge twitchy thing too.... not too bad but my muscles ache rather than pain and are stiff.. so I can relate to that. Muscles into groin are sore too buy perhaps my movement was so limited before hand they are coming back to life!
I still take paracetamol as pain not totally hone and it takes the edge off.
Today is better than yesterday as I felt a bit down but I'm not bored as I miss my own house and things. I'm staying in my parents holiday home as my mum wouldn't stay in mine! But hopefully I'll get home soon if only for visit. The little things in life!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Oops and @CodeGirl - have t heard from you fellow 28th hippie. Hope well and on your way to happiness!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom