Guest viewing is limited

THR Tee (AKA Frieds) Flipping to "the other side"

Status
Not open for further replies.
@frieds, I see that you still doing a lot of icing and you like it very much. May I ask how you do it for your hip? Where you put your icebags? Different places each time? Or on the scar, most of the time? How many bags, usually? For how long? Do you ice during your sleep at night?

I'm asking all these questions, b/c I feel like I need to learn it. First week, my hip was so swollen and so numb that ice or no ice I didn't feel any difference at all, although the hospital nurses kept two ice bags on me all the time, 24/7. Now, 12 days after the surgery, I can certainly feel the ice on my skin. And sometimes I'm getting so cold from it that I'm shivering and even feel "cold inside". So maybe I overdo it? But I don't even keep it too long any more , 10-15 min max and then I feel cold. It does help to keep the area around the scar cool - for it's still warm, red and very tender...

Thanks in advance for your details and advice :)
 
@frieds, I am also going to ask my OS on Tuesday about supplements. I suggest Vitamin D and Magnesium. I was just reading that too much Calcium that is not balanced with Magnesium can lead to bone spurs among other things. Apparently magnesium prevents calcium from building up in the wrong places in the body. I think most people are somewhat deficient in magnesium and supplementing with it can also balance excess sodium in the diet.
 
@frieds Good for you! Planning those trips is something to focus on without putting too much pressure on yourself either! I getting away next weekend for a few days for a hotel break and then later in the week for a few more days. I am living for a pedicure. .. maybe in the autumn I will get away with to the US or Spain...

I managed to cook dinner today too.. it was great just to use one crutch.. I still have a pronounced limp but I think I still have a slight leg length differnce... but that probably makes sense. I am back taking omega oil, glucosamine as well as a multivitamin. .. I am hoping now I'm doing the right thing. Previously my that's what my OS suggested but wasn't really pushing them. I guess you can beat a well balanced diet with plenty of fruit, veg and low fat proteins.... maybe you can let us know what your OS suggests...

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@alla - yes I have learned that ice helps with the dull aches I get here and there. Lately it's been the front of my thigh and side. My incision is posterior - more backside but that feels okay. I tend to use two flat refreeze able gel packs from Walgreens for 15-20 mins at a time. I have mine inside a pillow case so I can tuck the extra cloth under my good hip and anchor the ice where I want it focused. It does chill me overall after 15 mins but since its hot here it's okay and if I get cold just put a blanket on top of myself. I ice at least 4-5x a day - it won't hurt no matter how often. I do move the packs around to where I feel ache or can get relief. I like one partially under hip (incision area) with one on top of thigh and groin - but move them wherever I feel they can help! Best of luck but can't hurt to try :)

@CodeGirl - thanks for the heads up on magnesium. I'll be sure to ask my surgeon and make sure he agrees. Just think I eat a lot of veggies and fruits but still has to be other nutrients to help strengthen the new bone growth to my prosthetic. Glad to hear you're doing so well!!!

@Nora - hey there partner. Always great hearing from you! Hope you are up dancing or close to and enjoying your progress. Yes, I don't fancy myself a big cook but felt so liberating cooking last night and it tasted great so I didn't lose my touch haha! You sure sound like you're coming along nicely. And I noticed that as my muscles loosened and healed my legs evened out. My first week I was nervous about a difference in length but when they were right and not rotating that kept it feeling that way. It's coming - you'll see :) xoxox

Tee


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
So...went out to dinner and to hear a band with friends last night for a celebration. I sat a lot but walked without cane and was stable. I think today I am paying the price. I feel some aches - particularly in groin. Assuming this means to ice and take it easy. It's not horrible pain but it is annoying. Hope I didn't push - it was a lot of activity but I was careful to sit well and not make wrong moves!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I LOVE ice!!! :) :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
So just documenting my journey...today is day 25 post op. it's hard to believe its been that long. I walk mostly unassisted but rely on cane when feel tired. I am fortunate to be steady on my feet but I credit that to all the exercises and strength building I did before surgery.

That said, everyday is a new experience. While I am not complaining at all about my progress - I get aches in all different places and while not painful - they always set my imagination on fire. Luckily I have found that ice is my friend and after sitting or laying for a while, walking feels fantastic.

External PT has helped also. While the exercises seem so simplistic, I can tell the difference. Today they measures my lateral movement and I went from a 12 to 20 in just one week. Progress is good - now matter how big or small and I feel blessed to at least so far have had a good experience.

Now my waiting game is for the scab on incision to completely come off so I can massage and use creams etc. it appears that some if the glue applied internally oozed out a long time ago and the scab is adhering in a tiny little area to that. Guess will have to ask OS about it later this week during follow up.

Anxious to find out when can exercise, have sex (poor hubby haha) and take vitamins or other helpful supplements. So for now I keep trucking on and hope others are doing well also!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I just had someone ask me if I have a prosthetic. Wow. Guess I do but never thought if it like that. Not an issue, it's just not a word I thought I'd use with myself. Love modern medicine and technology though!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Today was a big milestone! Had my month OS follow up and was cleared to do everything except run, jump and bring knee up to my chest. Check check and check (I don't even like two of those three haha)!

Have to wait two more weeks for air travel as he said first six weeks higher chance of clots and altitude pressure - but no big deal. I can resume gym and walking, biking etc. he even showed me I can touch my left foot - something I haven't done in a year. And as a bonus he gave me a photo of my bionic self ;)
[Bonesmart.org] Tee (AKA Frieds) Flipping to "the other side"



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds great! Lucky you to be free of restrictions. My follow up appointment isn't until 24th July! It's great you can get back gyming it too. I am staying is a fabulous hotel and can't swin! I would love to... I had my fancy pedicure and fell asleep for most of it. The tiredness has not yet fully passes. Did you doc give any advice on your scar or vitamins to take?
 
@frieds, I am SO jealous!!! Congrats on being a good patient and achieving lofty goals!! So happy for you!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ok went walking today and all great. Just went to get mail and hip was clicking. Stopped got the mail and stood a second. The walk back - nothing. Has this happened to anyone else? First time I've heard any noise. Didn't hurt but definitely clicks noise....


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
How long were your scripts for PT? I had 8 visits. Wondering if more would benefit me. Curious what other OS' prescribed for you all....


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I have gone for 8 sessions and saw my OS today and said I do not need more . He would give me more but I have been cleared me for all activities ( yoga, biking, all sports ) so I feel I may not continue with PT and just get on with my own activities .. With yoga for strengthening and stretching


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Thanks lab - you too!

Five weeks Wed. Hard to believe. I start back to work tomorrow also - although working from home for a week or two. Life is good.

Found out I in fact have right more PT sessions on my script left so I am going to use them. I like the strength building activities and stretches they do that isolate muscles and believe they have helped in addition to my walking. OS cleared me for gym so I will start this week and build up over time. Just prior to surgery I was doing 3-4 miles elliptical so will start back for 5-10 minutes on minimal resistance and see how that feels. If not can always do upright bike and some arm weights. Will feel good!

Still taking precautions. Even though I've been cleared I am the sort to not push it. Figure takes awhile for bone to truly grow and stabilize so don't push it Teri! Just happy to drive and walk the mall and resume normalcy of walking unassisted. And hubby smiles ear to ear when I walked up and down stairs completely normal again (albeit a bit slow lol).

Hope my hipster friends are doing just as well or better. Without all of you as my support system I couldn't have done with with such a brave face. And for any of you about to go through this process - you can do it and I'm here for you as well!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Great @frieds !
Good plan to use the script for PT.
I asked for a round of 12, and now have asked for another round of 12.
Since it is all FREE for me now that I reached my out of pocket max, why not?
I like the stretches and it is strengthening my knees/quads which weakened thru inactivity due to hip.
 
Has this happened to anyone else? First time I've heard any noise. Didn't hurt but definitely clicks noise....

Didn't anyone answer this for you? Tag someone next time.

But, yes, it's normal. The bearing surfaces of your new hip are hard and they click together sometimes. It will decrease as the soft tissues heal and regain tone.

I still get it occasionally, even four years out from THR. Especially first thing in the morning, I'll get a couple of little clicks right after I get out of bed.



Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
@alexthecat - thank you for your response!! Helps! It stopped and
Hasn't done it again (yet) but was disconcerting the first time heard/felt it. Hopefully healing nicely and getting stronger with PT and walking!

Xoxoxo


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom