THR Tee (AKA Frieds) Flipping to "the other side"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using cocoa butter daily and massaging the scar area with my fingers.
The cocoa butter gets absorbed and doesn't feel sticky.
 
Oh @frieds I have to say I am envious - I cannot drive until I get the ok @ my 6 week appointment. That one is a hard one for me because I live in the burbs and to do much of anything, including getting my 9 year old to her various activities, you need to drive. I love hearing all of your positive updates :) You sound great and sound like your enjoying your little milestones, happy dance for you!!!


Sharri -LTHR May 28th 2014 13 inch incision on side
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@MajorHeidi - how soon did you begin using cocoa butter? When did you know it was safe?

Anyone used silicon strips? I have read about them so naturally curious.

Today I start outpatient PT. not sure what to expect but it's a trip outside the house :) Day 19 and still get the occasional sort of ache on front of thigh and side (not really ache but aware of sensation) but not painful. Walking coming along. Ventured to Walmart and did grocery shopping this weekend, then came home and rested so I don't overdo anything!

Feeling as always cautiously optimistic but excited!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Glad you are doing so awesome. I started out patient PT last monday. It is wonderful to get out of house and they gave so much equipment to use. I had not thought of using anything yet on incision.. I was a little scared to do that this soon.. Curious about what people say.


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Great update @ Frieds!Sounds like you're doing really well! As far as your scar there are products on the market to assist in healing scars. not sure if they are available where you are though. one of them is called bio oil but i know there are others as well that if they carry them, you can get in your local pharmacy.


Sharri -LTHR May 28th 2014 13 inch incision on side
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Frieds! Glad to see you're doing better! As for what to use on your incision, I read in another post where Josephine cautioned on using lotions, etc. She suggested using baby oil (but stressed that it won't make much difference). The last of my steri-strips came off yesterday so I'm not using anything; seeing my OS on Wednesday (driving myself, too!!).


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

2014, May 20th posterior TLHR
 
@frieds On the cocoa butter, I tried once about 4 weeks, and it felt too soon. It seemed to stop the
scab from getting firm and dry. So I only did that once.....
I waited til about 7 weeks, when everything was dry, and all scabs off.

Now I do it once daily in the morning and let the cocoa butter soak into the skin with the massage all over and around the scar. It does seem to help on making the firm tissue below the scar to 'soften up'.
 
Sounds like everything is well on track @frieds! It's great that your progress has been so positive... I wonder what PT will recommend. .. I am still doing daily exercise and walking... wish I could drive @frieds and @cami515 . I too am restricted until at least 6 weeks. ..I can't wait!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
So this morning marks three weeks. I am driving and venturing out but still very cautious with precautions. See my OS on 26th and have tons of questions with what I can do and when.

At the moment taking it day by day. I feel the odd aches here and there but guess that is completely normal. Waiting for incision scab to completely come off so I can massage and try things to help reduce scaring.

Patience is not my strong suit so I'm actually impressed how I have behaved. Keep thinking can I travel? Will I ever be able to dance again (as I am very energetic and enthusiastic dancer) and do crunches and cardio so I don't turn into the stay puff marshmallow woman!!!

Wishing my friends great success. Just hit the "I'm restless mode" and getting impatient. Want to feel and act normal and not have to always be thinking of the hip or any aches. Hoping that day comes - its difficult now after three weeks of really focusing on resting and being smart!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
[Bonesmart.org] Tee (AKA Frieds) Flipping to "the other side"
[quote="frieds, post: 629293, member: 13126"]Keep thinking can I travel? Will I ever be able to dance again (as I am very energetic and enthusiastic dancer) and do crunches and cardio so I don't turn into the stay puff marshmallow woman!!! [/quote]

@frieds, of course, you'll do all these things---much later---but you'll do them. So hang on to all that PATIENCE and know that it's going to take more TIME---and keep taking it slow and easy---you'll get there before you know it.

Funny how once you get past the first 6 months, it doesn't seem like it took so long.
 
Ugh today going upstairs my good leg/knee started to have a pang. Maybe tired of providing extra support. Boy I can't wait to feel normal again lol!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I hear you @frieds! But it will great that normal will be pain free and agile! It's funny cause whilst I'm be no means a great dancer I was upset when in December last at a wedding I couldn't dance.... I was a ball/dinner dance in October so I am hoping to take a step out! I'm sure judging by how will you've been doing you'll be dancing in no time... maybe you should start planning a holiday as a goal to work towards? Is there anywhere on your bucket list you could visit?

Hopefully your knee will be ok too mine have been a bit creeky so I'm back taking omega oils to help...

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Post-op day 22 and I have to say it was exciting day! I ventured out to store around noon and bought groceries so I could cook a nice homemade meal for hubby tonight. I figure the walking is my daily PT combined with the stretches and icing they gave me.

Starting to really see the light. Hubby even noticed when walking around the house without the cane that I was walking normal this morning - like I used to years ago - with no noticeable limp. And I can stand with all my weight on my left side now - something I couldn't do previously. Of course as the day grew later and the muscles more tired there was tiny limp - but I expected that.

It's kind of exciting to wake up now each morning as I see little improvements every day! And I'm addicted to icing. It feels so good and frankly keeps me nice and cool as it is 98 degrees and humid out!

Hope all my hippie buddies are doing well and also progressing. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and its sunshine so stay true to your path and it will come. I'm seeing that now. So no matter what stage you are in recovery all I encourage you to do is BELIEVE and remain positive!

Tee (LTHR 5/28/14)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Nora - btw, thank you for the encouraging words yesterday. Working on my to do list now as a matter of fact. Planning to visit my folks in Florida, maybe Jamaica in October or friends in Memphis and then the holidays! Hope you are well!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
How "religiously" do you do the PT exercises given? I go out patient 3x week - do I need to do on all off days as well myself at home in addition to walking and normal activities?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I went to outpatient PT twice a week. I rarely did any exercises on the other days. I just did normal walking. Shops, restaurants, things like that. We ate out a lot because no one felt like cleaning up.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
I am doing outpatient PT twice a week, and not repeating all the exercises except for during PT.
Lots of walking; pool, too.
You're doing great!
 
I go twice a week. I ride the stationary bike 3.5 miles on in between days. And normal walking.. Shopping , errands


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Okay another silly question. I see my OS next Thursday for my 4 week follow up - will ask him this also but wanted opinions here. What if any dietary supplements would you suggest me taking to help support strong and healthy bone growth and the likes for my new joint? What won't hurt the implant but overall provide benefit? Please keep in mind I am not a pill popper - have to set reminder on my cell phone daily even now to take the meds prescribed at the hospital for the thirty day period (iron, aspirin and Celebrex).

Tee


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@frieds we just had a discussion of this on my thread. Poppet has also a link she posted on there although it does not work for me.. I used a lot of natural supplements before surgery.. Did not take too many pain meds.. I have continued taking all presurgery supplements as now as I want to be sure my good hip stays good. :))) vitamin d , gelatin, vitamin c are some.. I am sure if you tag poppet she would tell you more


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom