Guest viewing is limited

THR Teacat has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ByGosh! Would love to join you for a cuppa'! I love tea and have at least 3 cups a day, even during summer. Mmmm, the walnut squares sound delish! I'll be right over! :puppysmooze:
It's the same, no worse though. I've had my 2nd Bactrim this morning. Just finished up a bowl of vanilla yogurt with fresh strawberries. Emotionally, I'm doing ok. After my hissy fit yesterday, that is. I'm thankful that whatever it is seems mild and caught early. I'm walking around the house getting things done, & driving all with no pain. So, I'm going with how I feel physically and that's pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing if the red area clears up in another couple of days. I'll post a pic then.
BTW, Lovely new avatar! How are you doing?
 
Hello @ Teacat Glad you're keeping your spirits up, sweetie. Thanks for the complimet on my pretty pink rose. It was part of a lovely bouquet that I received. They were all different beautiful colored roses.
I've always liked your avatar--- it is so sweet and I love love love tea. I drink it all day long. I recently switched to green tea (not my favorite) because the usual dark tea was wrecking havoc on my tooth color and my hygienist would scold me whenever I went for a cleaning! So I drink Twining's green tea with Twining's peppermint - two bags in one. Only because the green doesn't have enough flavor and the peppermint's soothing to the tummy. But anyhow, I'd just love a cup of regular black tea with cream. Mm-m-m-m-m Queen of England here I come.

You're lucky to have no pain. I'm 6 week+ bilateral, and still have pain. I went from post op stiffness and incisional tenderness, to groin pain. I believe I overdid it weeks 4 and 5. I started to get some energy back, had a lot of MD appts. because I had a red swollen toe (turned out to be nothing), and just sort of went full throttle from there.
So now I'm trying to take it easy and see if this doesn't resolve.

My post op hip xrays today at my 6 week check up were "perfect" they said, so thank goodness the implants are properly placed at least. We all have something, don't we? It certainly can be trying!

Keep up the good work taking your meds. I'll be curious to see a new picture in a few days. :)
 
ByGosh
I see a hint of a darker pink rose in the background of your avatar. All different color roses - I bet they were gorgeous! I hope you got them for your recovery! Re: my avatar, I actually have an entire set of the heart-shaped teacups in 8 different colors. I love them and bring them out whenever I have a bunch of people over for tea, which has been a while due to the ol' hip. I love black tea too! I know green tea has more health benefits and I'm trying to drink more of it but I love me some good strong black tea (no cream for me though, just sugar). My favorites are Assam and Keemun. My dentist says the same thing about my teeth. I have stains on mine as well from the tea until I go for my regular cleaning, which I'm overdue because of the hip surgery. I want to be good and healed before I go back to the dentist (and will pre-med)!
I'm sorry you are having groin pain. Just keep icing and resting. Great news about your xrays! At least you know that everything is where it should be and the pain is from overuse. Plus, you had a bilateral! You are one brave, strong woman! Now, I hope you were not on your feet making those walnut squares for me! :wink:
 
I love putting one of each organic chamomile and peppermint tea bags in the same mug... Power packed, calming, energizing... green tea and lemon myrtle is a good combination.. :)
 
Poppet sounds absolutely yummy! And snooze-inducing, too. Gotta try it.

Teacat That's actually your tea cup that you took a picture of? I thought you got it from the internet. So lovely.
Don't worry, when I bake, I try to sit on a tall stool as much as possible to save the hips. I've been having to do that for months anyway, so unfortunately, I'm used to it.
 
Teacat I don't think Bactrim would have been my first choice but it will do. What you have there is a superficial wound infection and unlikely to develop into anything sinister. But if it's not settling after 5 days of treatment, you should get back to your surgeon and let him know.
 
Poppet The peppermint and chamomile sounds good together. I have heard that citrus flavored green tea is a tasty way to ease into drinking green tea. I'll have to try both.

ByGosh Yes, the white heart-shaped teacup in my avatar is from the internet. Sorry, I meant in my post that I have teacups like the one in my avatar. If I can figure out how to use one of my photos as my avatar, I'll upload it.
 
Teacat have you tried arnica cream on your incision? It's a natural healer and it has anti inflammatory properties. I read on here that some others use it so I started to also once my incision was pretty much healed. I mentioned it to my PT and she said I should use it on my my sore muscles too. Just an idea for you.
 
Hello @ Teacat. Those must be pretty little teacups that you have. I love the shape. It always makes me want a cup of tea when I see it.
sandybeach I've never heard of arnica cream. Where do you get it? I'll have to look that one up. Anything that can help the aches and pains, I'm all for.
 
ByGosh, Arnica cream is a all natural healing cream. I think I bought mine from Wal-Mart. I use it to massage my incision. It helps break down the scar tissue by massaging the incision and with the cream it's healing too.
 
sandybeach, ByGosh, Teacat and anyone else interested in reading this... As a Registered Natural Medicine Practitioner I use Arnica quite frequently in my practice.

Arnica (Arnica montana) has been used for medicinal purposes since the 1500s and is still popular today. Applied to the skin as a cream, ointment, liniment, salve, or tincture, arnica has been used to soothe muscle aches, reduce inflammation, and heal wounds. It is commonly used for injuries such as sprains and bruises. As an herb, arnica is generally used only topically (on the skin) because it can cause serious side effects when taken by mouth. Oral homeopathic remedies do contain arnica, but they use an extremely diluted form that is not considered dangerous. If you have any question about whether you have the herbal or homeopathic form of arnica, talk to your doctor before taking it.

I made up a mixture of three different tinctures to use topically in hospital to elevate the swelling, bruising and to assist the healing. Because it is classed as an Astringent, it acts to break up the bruises and disperse the tiny clots that may form and congregate. It has the ability to move them into the normal elimination patterns of the body. The medical staff including my OS were most interested because I was able to reduce the swelling down quickly and did not get any bruising!
 
Poppet Thank you so much for that very knowledgeable reply. Now, where to get the best topical form. Walmart? any pharmacy? It sure sounds like it's worth a try from how you described it.
 
Poppet When i get over my course of antibiotics, I'll have to get some arnica cream. What concentration does it need to be? 100%?
 
Had a lovely outing with my husband tonight. We went out for a Thai dinner. The restaurant had padded seats so no problem sitting for an hour and a half. Then we stopped by Whole Foods (its a health food store, we joke and call it 'Whole Paycheck') where we just walked around looking at all the different things they sell. After about 15 minutes I was done and we picked up our kids and headed home. It was a nice time out. I noticed my thigh felt a little sore but nothing that warrants any meds, just rest. Felt great to go out on a 'date'! I even wore my dressy jeans! :yay:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Teacat has arrived!
Nothing like a "date" out with hubby to make life seem "normal" and lift the spirits. And when it's pain free---you just can't beat it!!!! Good for you.
 
As I am a practitioner I buy different ranges (practitioner only) tinctures.. However 100 gm creams usually contain around 10ml of Arnica montana extract (1:5) Equiv. to dry flower 20mg/g in an aqueous cream base.

Health food shops are the best to advise other than a practitioner. I do understand that natural medicine products are not regulated in the US as they are in Australia. Sorry, I don't know the situation in the UK either.

btw, I never used the cream or my tincture on my incision line, not even when it was fully healed. I only used it around the area.. it penetrates and will do the job, it doesn't have to be actually on the incision line.
 
Teacat So glad to hear you had a nice date with your hubby. I'm sure it did you both a world of goood.
 
Poppet
I'm glad you told us not to apply to the incision line! I didn't think to ask about that.

Today I went back to church for the first time since surgery. Then we went out for lunch (Mexican, yum) and I had an afternoon nap for about an hour. Later we went to a friends house for dinner. So, busy day! Probably did too much but it was so much fun! No pain in hip. Just a little stiffness and mild energy drain from a full day.
The top area around my incision seems to look better. It's not warm to the touch and the red/bright pink area has diminished somewhat and looks kind of bruised. There is also no swelling and I haven't had a fever. Still taking the Bactrim and thinking good thoughts.
 
Teacat Sounds good any way you look at it! You're living it up socially, dating your husband again, and the incision is healing nicely. Maybe I better get back to church, too. :angel:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom