Guest viewing is limited

THR Teacat has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good idea!

Teacat, have you ever tried "White tea" ? The one we often get as a treat comes as curls and they unravel with the hot water.. I love experimenting with herbal teas and have cups and mugs and a very special Chinese tea mug with a lid, very ornate and painted with real gold... A special prissy from my DH :)

Check this out... https://www.whiteteaguide.com/whiteteahealthbenefits.htm
 
Poppet
You know, white tea is something I have not tried. Mainly because I love black tea and the bold taste of Assams and Keemuns. What I've read of white tea has been more about how it's prepared so the link you gave me was very interesting! It helps lower BP and with arthritis among many other things. I'm going to have to try it maybe as an afternoon or evening tea. I'm interested in where you get your teas too. I typically buy online loose leaf teas from places like Harney & Sons or Uptons (great for trial sizes). Although, I'm becoming more concerned about organics and pesticides especially with teas from China (of all places). So with white tea, I've read that it's best to use a low temp water (lower than green tea) and steep for a longer period of time (8-10 minutes) although, often package labeling will read differently. I guess you have to experiment with it and see what taste appeals to you.
 
Poppet I like having a lid on my tea cup, because I like to keep it hot. I tried white tea post op because I was on Coumadin and they said no green tea, so I switched to white. Very delicate flavor, I liked it. I wonder which is supposed to be better for you - green or white?
 
ByGosh Herbal teas are all good, hard to say if there is one better than another.. i just have a very large variety :)

I am currently on Lemon Myrtle and Green tea which is together.. and Green tea and Ginger. I only drink organic herbal teas, couldn't get used to tea with milk in it. I will often have a fruit herbal tea instead of desert.. I love the berry teas and I have one that even has dried beetroot in it... yum, yum.. :)
 
Is it normal to still be limping at almost 6 weeks post op? I can still tell the operated leg is longer than the other although it seems to have improved some since right after surgery.
 
Hi Teacat. It is normal to be limping still at 6 weeks. Are you limping because you are experiencing pain? If so, maybe your pain med regimen needs some tweaking. If you post it, we can ask Jo to comment on it for you. Are you using a cane, or are you trying to ditch it too soon?

A leg length differential will impact your gait also, but the prevailing wisdom is that it usually sorts itself out around 5-6 months, and not to worry about it before then. It may turn out that you will need to use a lift, but using it too early in the game can be detrimental rather than helpful.

Have you read this yet?
Leg length differential - LLD

Sharon
 
Hi sharonslp! Thanks for getting back to me. I don't have any pain. I do still take 2 Tylenol in the morning and evenings for the sake of taking it. I am also not using a cane and never have. When I walk, I have to focus 'heel-toe, heel-toe' as I tend to still step on the ball of my foot and swing my operated leg slightly out and around. Part of the reason is my leg feels longer and part of the reason is the bad habit I developed pre-op. I also still have some referred pain in my knee on the operated side probably because I'm still walking funny. I'm hoping when I start outpatient PT (this week) and build up some strength in my muscles it will all correct itself. Just wondering if most people still have a limp at this point or should I be worried that something isn't right.
 
It doesn't sound like anything is wrong, and if you are starting PT, they should help you correct your gait. It sounds like you have to unlearn all the compensating moves you originally learned before surgery ever occurred. Let me tag alexthecat and see what she thinks. She has some expertise in movement and exercises issues.

Sharon
 
I agree with Sharon. It sounds like you are right on track for your stage of recovery. I'm sure the PT will give you gait training and strengthening exercises to help improve your walking.
 
I start on a cane this Tuesday after 4 weeks of 2 crutches and no weight bearing on the operated leg. I appreciate the insights here and hopefully can add something useful down the road...
 
My OS expects it could take up to 6 months to get completely rid of my limp.
 
6 week post-op

A couple of days ago, I woke up with a sunburn-like rash on my wrists and ankles and had red pin points all over my torso. My wrists and ankles itched like crazy but not my torso. I felt achy, neck/shoulders stiff and lower back hurt, nauseous. I knew it was from the Bactrim I had been taking. I was down to the last pill when this started. I had read in the Rx leaflet that these were some side effects and to stop taking it immediately and call the doctor. So, I had 9 1/2 (instead of 10) days of antibiotic and the doctor said it was fine and not to take the last pill. The next day the nausea was gone, rash/hives were less and today they are gone! And the aches are gone too. I feel so much better! The incision looks good too. Will keep an eye on it.
Had my first outpatient PT appointment yesterday. Couldn't even do one lying down leg raise without hurting. That's how weak my leg muscles still are and I wonder why I'm still limping, duh! So we did some basic strengthening exercises and seated leg raises. My thigh muscle felt sore but no pain in my groin!
Slept on my operated side last night for about an hour. Felt great to have that 'choice' again. Haven't slept on that side in probably 3 years!
The improvements are coming more slowly (ie: not daily) but I'm seeing them and it feels great!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Teacat has arrived!
Time to start looking at improvements by the week rather than the day. And don't forget to look back and see how far you've come---and don't dwell on how far you have to go. You'll get there. Sure glad that nasty rash is gone and that you're feeling good.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Teacat has arrived!
 
Hi ya clifford149!
Thanks for popping over to see how I'm doing! Your recovery sounds great too! I'm feeling much better and did my first grocery store trip yesterday. Walked the entire store pushing the cart full of groceries for about an hour. I was very tired and limping towards the end, came home and rested. No pain but whew! Rested and then had to pick up my son at preschool, stayed at the playground for an hour letting him get some energy out and then I made dinner for the family. Feels good to get back into the swing of things but it was a full day and I was tired last night!
 
Hi Teacat. What a day an hour shopping....school trip.....cooking.....please don't get too tired but I appreciate needs must......
 
7 weeks post op
Continuing to get back into the swing of things. This weekend was busy: church, taking my son to a birthday party (held outside at a park) and a Kentucky Derby party. I'm all partied out! Yesterday, I cleaned and purged some of my son's toys which involved bending over and picking them up. No problem but man my butt and hamstrings hurt today!
Went to my 2nd PT session today. Excited because I rode the stationary bike for 10 minutes! I know it's not a lot but the last time I did it was a couple of weeks pre-op and it hurt and I kept raising the left side off the seat because of my lack of ROM. Today, I rode with no pain, comfortably! Also did clamshells, seated leg raises (did a couple lying down but had to bend my knee slightly), bridges, balanced only on operated leg for 30 seconds 5x, calf raises and stretched hamstrings. I was sore but it was the good kind of sore and no pain while doing the exercises. Feeling like I'm getting some of my groove back. :egypdance:
 
Yay Teacat,
Great to hear. I'm about 3 weeks behind you so your recovery stories give me lots of hope.
Being of a more senior age I have no toys to pick up. Lol. Luckily as I am still on restrictions!
Power on girl!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom