Guest viewing is limited

THR Teacat has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teacat How are you doing. I was reading some of your posts and wondered how you are doing. Remember you are doing your recover. Please don't compare yourself with others. I love tea also. I like trying different types of tea too. Take care. Tashia
 
Hi Teacat I have just caught up with your thread Well done on your fantastic recovery You are obviously enjoying your life again and it must be lovely being able to play with your little one again. I am so happy for you
 
Wow you have been busy with all these parties and fairs, great to be doing fun things with all the family though and probably the best medicine you could have. :cheers: Your PT seems to be going well, how much longer will you see her, I have been signed off now until hip number 2, she says to just keep doing what I doing and everything is as it should be. :)
 
Littlejem
I actually just started outpatient PT and had my 2nd visit. I did have in home PT and at my 4 week post-op check up the dr. ordered outpatient PT but then I couldn't get an appointment until a week and a half later. So it seems my outpatient PT is delayed/late (at least to me) but I'm glad that I took it easy and healed for 6 weeks before starting it. It's just like they say that 'hips have a way of working themselves out' and I would have been fine not doing any outpatient PT. But, I have seen quick improvements in my strength in just 2 visits. I'm currently going twice a week but they said after the next visit they will see me once a week because I can do the exercises on my own. It's really just a matter of doing them in a controlled setting to make sure I'm not in any pain when I do them and show that I can do them. The Dr. ordered 6 - 8 weeks. Before I started, I could not walk up stairs normally or do a lying straight leg raise. Now I can walk up stairs (slow) and I did 6 lying SLR's (could have done more but PT didn't want to push it). They seem very conservative and they said none of the exercises should hurt when I do them. I have really enjoyed it so far and it gives me a sense of accomplishment.
The picture of your dog is so cute! Is he a weimerainer (sp?)? My brother has 2. No wonder Henry gets all the attention when you take him out! Who could resist? Good luck with your 2nd surgery. I'm sure you will pass with flying colors just like you did this one!
 
It's just like they say that 'hips have a way of working themselves out' and I would have been fine not doing any outpatient PT. But, I have seen quick improvements in my strength in just 2 visits.
That's quite right but there does or may come a time when some guided PT is either needed or useful.
 
8 week post op report
Another kid's birthday party this past weekend. I think we are done with parties for a while.
Going up and down stairs (with alternating legs) getting better but I have to *think* about it before doing it. PT has reduced me to going 1x per week. Did 10 lying down straight leg raises, one with a 2lb. weight. It was not easy but I'm making progress. Today put on my socks and shoes on operated leg, unassisted. Again, slow and difficult, ROM was tight, but no pain and I expect it to get better. Woke up this morning lying on my operated side. Don't know how long I slept on it though. Got in the floor and played with my kids for an hour yesterday. Feeling like I want to get back to the gym, now I need to figure out when with 2 kids. School ends for my 4yr old tommorrow, yikes! I'll have both with me all day! I have yet to take both out with me by myself (except for school playground).
So even though I'm doing all this, I'm moving slow and taking it easy (stairs, getting onto/up from the floor, putting on shoes). It's almost as if I'm re-learning how to do these things.
I do have some low back pain that goes away the more I move. I had this pre-op and attributed it to my hip, but boy is my low back stiff when I first get out of bed. Lying with pillows under my knees does not help. I think we need a new mattress.
I also have notice some soreness on the top of my foot of my operated leg, a little above where the top of your shoes ends (like a bridge connecting your ankles). I notice it particularly after I go to the store or even during PT. I asked my PT and she said it could be because I was walking/stepping more on the ball of my foot pre-op and now I'm walking heel-toe. Anyone have this sort of soreness happen?
So grateful to be getting my life back pain free! :happydance:
 
Hi Teacat. mondo_caine posted this list of exercises to do in bed before you get up, to alleviate lower back pain. Works very well for me. Takes about 90 seconds max.

1. Lying in bed turn the feet outwards and moved, them slowly inwards rotating the whole leg.
2. Move the feet up and down as if pushing down on pedals.
3. But clenches.
4. Roll up a small towel, place it under one knoee at a time and push down hard.
5. i had RTHR so I have to raise my left knee and using my left leg and shoulder, lift my butt as far off the mattress as possible.

Also, in regard to your foot pain....have you tried new shoes? It's very common for our pre-surgery shoes to be a problem, since they have wear patterns based on our old gait issues. For me the problem was shin splints. But it's something to consider.

Sharon
 
Hello Teacat Just catching up on your thread now. It's been a while, but it sounds like your doing great. So glad things are going well and with no pain at 8 weeks! :) It's good that you're taking things slow and steady, and you're able to do alot quite sucessfully! Now that you have both of your children all day, how do you keep them occupied? It must be a lot easier if the weather's nice outside and they can be in the fresh air, running around and playing. And you've celebrated recent birthdays, too! How old are they now? I was just adopting my second, then giving birth to my third at 42 and 43! It's a little bit of a story on how that happened, but it all worked out, of course.
I've been meaning to mention that I like your new Avatar photo. Is that of one of your own pretty heart shaped tea cups? It always makes me want a nice hot cup of tea!
Glad you're recovery is going well and you're making nice progress. Have fun with the kids today! :SUNsmile:
 
ByGosh
Just got finished catching up on your thread! So nice of you to stop by mine and say 'hi'.
Having both children all day has been hard. I have had help (husband, my mom) since my surgery but my mom went home on Mother's Day. I have 2 boys: one is 4 years old and the other is 4 months.
I get excited when I find out others who have adopted! And you did around the same time (it seems) as I have. Whew, I now know why people start families in their 20's! But I was a crazy person myself back then and I was 30 when I married. To keep my 4 yo busy, I now rotate toys and he is pretty imaginative too. Mostly we go to parks as we don't have a swing set in our yard (we are looking to move this summer). We went to a splash pad yesterday and stayed 3.5 hours and when it was time to leave (gave 5 min warning before) my 4 year old ran from me! I put the baby in the stroller and went after him walking as fast as I could. Luckily, he didn't go far. So where ever we go now will be fenced in. We are working on his listening skills. :gaah:

Yes, my avatar is a picture of one of my teacups. You can't tell in the picture but the saucer is heart shaped too. The green dishcloth is knitted by me as well. I love to knit and crochet but sadly, I haven't had time to do that since my oldest son was born except for the few Christmas gifts I manage to do.
 
Teacat So is your new baby adopted? I didn't know that. How sweet! You have a 4 yr old biological son and a 4 month old adopted baby? And a new hip. Busy, busy! How old was he when he came to you?

My first son was born when I was 35. He was very, very premature - just 25 weeks gestation, and weighed only 1 1/2 pounds. He had a 25% chance of surviving. (That was over 26 years ago and he's now attending graduate school at Yale, absolutely fine.) I felt at the time that I could never go through that scare and trauma again. Until I was 40 and then really longed for another baby. Well, after a couple of misses, we put in for adoption. Five months later we got a lovely little 10 week old baby girl from So. Korea. So cute!
Just 4 months after that, I got pregnant with my daughter, who was born full term on her brother's birthday! To me, it was like a dream come true - a full-term healthy baby! So now the family was unique and complete. One was born a premie with a very rough start, one was adopted and that had it's own challenges, and one was born full-term after my being on bedrest for 5 months while pregnant with her. Not the usual way to have a family and a little rough going at the start, but we're loving, close, supportive and very committed to each other.

So the little 4 year old sounds like a typical little guy, on the run, smart and energetic, lots of fun. Yes, a fenced in area would be good, especially with that new hip. I don't think you can run quite yet..:)
 
ByGosh
You have an amazing story about your family! Wow, don't you wish you could go back to those doctors and tell them all about your son?! And how sweet that your two daughters ended up being so close in age!
Both of my sons were adopted here domestically. We got them the day after they were born. I was actually in the delivery room and saw my first son's birth. It was an amazing experience. I would have done the same for my 2nd son but he surprised all of us and came in the wee hours of the morning 3 weeks early.

It's been a while since I've been here and I hope you are doing well. I'll need to pop over to your thread and see how you are doing.
 
Teacat How lucky to have seen your first son's birth, and to have gotten both of the lil guys just after they were born. It makes such a nice family for you. I guess you're busy with those boys. I hope you're coming along well and able to enjoy them both.
I'm ok, thanks for asking. Still have issues with pain, unfortunately. I think it's time to see someone else, really. I'll keep you posted.
Take care and have fun with the kids!
 
I get excited when I find out others who have adopted!
ooooooo Teacat ByGosh can I jump in too? Both our boyz are adopted. I had two miscarriages inside of 3 months, then no more pregnancies, so we signed up at an agency, and put out the word for private. Both kids are fairly local, and "look like us". We did not have the courage to go with a mixed race family. But its a journey, isn't it? It's fun to meet both you who have both bio and adopted kids! I can't join that club... LOL
 
zauberflöte Yes, you've adopted your sons, too. Teacat adopted both of her boys. Do you have more children than two, Teacat? I think between the three of us, I'm the one with both biological and adopted children. And my adopted middle child is from South Korea, which was fine for us. There are many Asians here, and quite a few adopted Asian children. My first is my biological son, my second is my adopted daughter, and my third is my biological daughter. She's sandwiched in between the other two!
Awwww - I love them all so much, I become a softie just writing this! Aren't kids the light of our lives? :)
 
And then they grow up and produce grandchildren....so yeah....it just keeps getting better. :)

My niece surprised the family about 5 years ago when she and her husband announced they were adopting a 4 year old boy. She said it wasn't because they couldn't have a biological child; it was just that they were ready to love a child but didn't feel ready for an infant. That would come later. So they adopted Romeo, and two years later, their daughter was born. And soon after Gloria was born, Romeo's birth mother had another baby, so they adopted him too. That gave them 6 year old Romeo, ten month old Gloria, and two month old Nic. And two months ago, their son Olan was born. Now Romeo is 8, Gloria is 3, Nic is 2, and the baby is two months. I am exhausted just thinking about it!! And I'm really hoping Romeo and Nic's birth mother is all done!!

Sharon
 
Hi all my BS friends! I've been meaning to update for a while now and every time I would log on, I would catch up on everyone's threads and then I would run out of time and need to get off the computer. So, I'm updating first thing this time!

Finally had my 12 week appt with my OS on 6/19. I have not seen him (only the PA) since my surgery. PT released me the week before. OS says x-rays look great and to come see him for a check up in 2 years! He said I can do whatever I want. I asked how long I could expect my new hip to last and he said 30 + years. Now, I realize some OS are a bit optimistic and I know he can't predict the future (no one can) but, I was encouraged that I do have that possibility, which is what we all want don't we?

Looking back at my experience (I've had some bumps in the road), was it all worth it? Yes! I hugged my OS and told him he gave me my life back! I also met a rep from the manufacturer of my prosthesis and I thanked him too. It was challenging recovery. By that I mean, knowing when to rest, having patience, and accepting what my body tells me in recovering even though my brain says otherwise.

As far as the things I'm doing/getting back to:
With 2 boys my "exercise" are my kids. I am on my feet most of the day. I do a lot of keeping up with my very active 4 year old and lots & lots of bending and picking up my 5 month old. I'm able to get down on the floor and play with them. After their bedtime, I will usually ride my recumbant bike for 30 minutes and do some stretching afterwards.
I've also been doing some stretching in the bathtub in the evenings. I find the warm water will loosen/relax my muscles and I'm able to stretch a little further. I also work on sitting cross-legged (indian style) in the tub.
I regularly sleep on my operated side for several hours during the night.
I have so much more energy! All the post op energy drain was gone at about 6-7 weeks but compared to pre-op energy-it's amazing how pain drains you of your energy. I had learned to cope but, now I see/feel the difference.
I feel like I have more "spring" in my step.
Oh and the leg length difference - Gone! After surgery, it seemed so much, at least an 1 inch difference, but now it is completely gone!

I don't like that I needed to have the surgery, I guess no one does. But, I am thankful for medical technology and that the surgery was available. I'm so thankful my surgery was successful & that I don't have to live in pain.

Thank you Bonesmart friends for all your encouragement and sharing your experiences. Thank you moderators for your advice and expertise. I could not have kept my sanity or a positive outlook without this group!
 
Hi Teacat I have just found your update on your own thread and no wonder you have not had much time to post recently as you are just so busy You need a load of energy to care for a four year old and a baby of five months I have just spent a few hours this afternoon looking after my seven month old grandson who is gorgeous but now I am exhausted and I was glad to hand him back to his mum.So well done you
 
Teacat what a fabulous recommendation for THR you give :) Sounds like you are making great strides, and I wanna be where you are, let's see, I'm 20 yrs older, so, let's say 20 weeks after 12 weeks:rotfl: Is that, like, Christmas??

I like using the bathtub to warm up for stretching, excellent use of resources LOL. And energy-- I do so hope to see some of that someday :) You give me hope!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom