Guest viewing is limited

TKR Tammy's new knee

I Tammy, I found that if I laid on the sofa, leg elevated as shown on bonesmart, icepack under my knee and also one on top I was able to drift off into a nap. Hope this can work for you too. Also when lying on sofa I made sure I had all the stuff I might need within reach. Telephone, cell phone, glasses, tablet, magazine. That way I had no reason to get up. Thank goodness for ice-no side affects !
 
Still pain but not like it was at first.
I am about 6 weeks out. Only bends to 95 that worries me. I don't get around real well yet still use cane.
But going to get a new puppy this next Friday. I am excited for a change but worried about the car ride it's 2 and half hours. Any ideas to stay more comfortable ?
This is such a long recovery I read about it and not the same as living it. Getting impatient to get back to my life. I don't know how people go back to work at 6 -7 weeks . I am worried at 12 weeks that I won't be able to do my job. Thanks for letting me rant . Excited though for new pup, he's a Scottish terrier- Wheaton . He needs a name now :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Tammy,
95 is OK for 6 weeks out. The bend will improve as the swelling goes down. t's fine to be still using a cane as well. There are no prizes for giving it up quickly and it can be very useful to warn people and to ward off rushing people and dogs.

I hope that you have someone with you who is prepared to look after the puppy - it would be difficult for you to deal with a excitable young pup.

I'm hoping that you aren't going to do the driving. For the car journey, try to sit on the back seat, with your legs elevated on pillows. Take ice packs and keep your knee iced. You'll need to stop about every hour to walk around, as you will probably get quite stiff. Don't forget to take your pain medications with you, as well as a drink, so that you can medicate during the journey, if necessary.

Try not to worry now about how you will feel at 12 weeks. It will be very different from how you feel right now.
 
Thanks for advice . I am very fortunate to have a great brother who has left his home and came to stay with me for 3-4 months . He is driving me and been taking care of my other dogs. He's ok with the new addition :) .
I just thought I would be walking good by now and driving . I am learning a lot about having patience.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
When you think about what was done to your knee, it's not surprising that it takes a long time to recover. Your knee went through serious trauma and it's wounded. It needs time and gentle treatment so it can recover.
Try to be patient with it now and it will reward you well in the future.
 
I can't wait and I am so glad that this forum exists to help us all out.
Just nice to know what's normal and not. Yep up at 3 am still hard to get comfy at night but it's getting better. Can't wait for spring and warmer weather .


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Tammy, patience is a virtue loathed and learned by many after TKR. It is frustrating when we want to be "normal" and have our lives back, yet the knee has other ideas. Take your time and just look at each day as one you have lived and one that brought some healing to your knee. It is exciting to get a new puppy! Congratulations. What other dogs do you have? Do they have to be walked or do you have a fence in yard? We got a new little beagle (2 yrs old) about a month ago and he sure has changed our lives. The cat's too!
 
I have a huge fenced in back yard with doggy door for them. I have a 10 year old toy poodle and a 14 year old shih tzu and a Scotty pup now that's 16 weeks so want to get her a buddy as my 2 old ones snub her lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am at week 8 finally rom is getting better 106 and straightening though at 6. Still get really tired and knee aches is this normal at the stage? Haven't been able to return to work as they want you at 100% before they allow you back so will still be 6-8 weeks I hope. And still have sleep issues but not as bad.
So glad warmer weather finally here.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Your ROM is good and it will probably keep improving as time goes by. It was normal for me to still feel tired 8 weeks post op and my knee ache.
 
Good to know doing odds and end chores now and drive today. Was good feeling .


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks for all the advice and help so great to have people to ask questions and just rant :) knee is getting better but wow what a slow process and I thought I understood that but until you have had to do it you really don't understand.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It was a good day today but kinda sad, got to drive today but went to see my friend and coworker who just had a stroke she is doing ok but lost her ability to write and her speech is effected severely. So even though I sometimes feel sorry for my self with this knee problems I try and remember their are people who have it worse. But it was great driving to therapy today. So please say a prayer for Laura.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] Tammy's new knee

This is my new Scottish terrier, Tyson


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Still waking up from pain multiple times at night just a rant. 9 weeks out and lucky to get 3-4 hours of sleep . I was sure hoping this would be better the sleep by now. The pain is better then at first but still just constantly aches :(


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Tammy, are you taking any pain medication now? Tylenol can help if you are off your pain meds. Also, I take an occasional diphenhydramine (Benadryl) to help me sleep. Our sleep cycles get so disrupted after surgery, sometimes we need a little help. It does take a long time to be free of pain. Patience should be taught at those knee classes! :console2:
 
Yea I am pretty sure that's my problem running out of patience :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I empathize with you about the lack of patience. Just remember that there will be an end to what you are experiencing now and the rest of your life will be so much better for you. As someone else has said we are in a roller coaster ride with ups, downs and many twisting turns but eventually the ride does come to an end.
 
Hi Tammy, it sure does take alot of patience to get trough this. I'm just over 3 months on my RTKR. Had my LTKR ten months before. I had just started to feel good from the first one, then the second one had to be done !. It does get better, for !e it seemed like at 3 months I started to feel more like myself again. Sleeping is an issue for most of us. I found that the only thing I could do to help that situation was to nap whenever I could. When you're tired, take a nap or just go to bed, if you can. Good luck with your recovery. Thank goodness we can share our experiences with each other.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom