TKR Tammy's new knee

Take care if yourself Tammy

LTKR 27 OCTOBER 2015
 
Wishing you good pain control and some :sleep:
 
Haven't been on here in awhile .
First night tonight I slept well.
Pain finally seems to be getting better:) still using walker but had many bumps this last week. Had to go to er for dehydration and low potassium . But only 10 days out so why does pt focus on bending numbers . I am at 85 only had 90 before surgery . Hopefully things will continue to improve.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Tammy! I am only one day behind you surgery-wise. I'm glad to see that things are improving painwise. Like you, I was having a time of it with pain management, but I think I have it under control now. I am still using my walker due to calf pain, but it is getting easier. Too bad your PT is focused on numbers like that. I was at 70 at five days postop and she hasn't measured again. My PT seems to be more focused on comfort/pain threshold than on numbers. She says it will all come soon enough. I like her!
In the mean time, I take each day as it comes and try not to worry about tomorrow. I remind myself too, that each day is a fraction better than the day before and I am heading in the right direction! I think a lot of our recovery is dependent on our attitude and mental resolve. Hang in there...you are doing great!
 
Sorry about the dehydration and potassium. Did they give you instructions on how to avoid that again?
Sounds like you're making good progress on the bend.
 
It's too bad that so many PT in the US are driven by numbers by that is what health insurances demand.
 
That's for sure, they just said drank more Gatorade and eating will work itself out in time.
Feeling a little better
Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad you're feeling a bit better. It is definitely important to drink lots of fluids in the recovery--if nothing else b/c of the constipation problems that can develop with pain meds. I think Orange juice is a good source of potassium so that might be good to have in your mix of things to drink.
 
At 2 weeks out . Doing ok going home Tuesday can't wait . I am inpatient rehab . I do wish pain killers work for me but this is 3 rd diff surgery and they never have.
So toughing it out but it's getting better. I can't wait to be in my own bed :) and see all my dogs .



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I keep reminding myself what someone said in a post I read.
This is all temporary . My mind is getting ready to be active but not my knee :(. Miss my super busy lifestyle ....


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've been there with my partial a year+ ago. It gets better! I'm going to be there again starting weds when I get my full replacement. So happy I found this app.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Wishing you the best for your surgery . I feel like a turtle and I was a rabbit lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am trying to do small walks maybe 100 feet Every few hours wow am I tired is this pretty normal and I can't seem to walk right yet I walk stuff legged is that normal ( but my knee was not bending for a couple years so I always walked with limp )


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, Tammy. All normal.
You'll be tired for quite a while yet, because almost all of your energy is being directed towards healing your knee.
Energy drain for TKRs
 
Thanks the tiredness is weird feeling I was super active before this


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So glad you are on the other side. Sorry you awoke to pain. I had a spinal block so it lasted about 8 hours so they had me walking 3 hours after surgery. Not so good the next day ....but make sure they stay ahead of your pain. They gave me 12 hour time release Oxycoten and Oxycodone every 4 hours between. I could not take it even though it controlled the pain it made me very nauseated and was useless trying to do PT because I didn't even know I was in the world ...Like someone on Intervention. But they changed my meds and things got better every day after. You will get there take...one day at a time. I would never have thought I would be where I am now after TBKR. Give yourself at 4 weeks. The knees will bend. I had home PT for 3 weeks but simple things like just heel slides. Ankle pumps are important. I wish you all the best. and like @Celle said don't let the PT hurt you...Speak up. I did several times. It will bet better believe me. Wishing you a peaceful and quick recovery
 
Any home remedies for barfing from pain meds already on Zofran also
Pain meds just make me naeauted .
Can't wait to be done with them.
Going home tomorrow :) been in rehab cause didn't want my elderly mom to have to take care of me .


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yea I don't have my voice yet pt does hurt me when they try to measure . I am up to 95 though .
I am starting new place and rules gonna change tired of being scared to go to pt , cause of the pain .
My only bad exercise though is the measuring .


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
They say if I don't I won't be able to walk right and that scares me more .


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom