Guest viewing is limited

TKR Tammy's new knee

Pt wasn't that great today for rom
Only 77 at almost 4 weeks but he didn't push me to bend it more .
It isn't even I get great pain it just won't bend . Should I worry or quit and relax the dumb worrying


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@ Tammy7692, How are you feeling now, did those chills ever go away ? So strange, some of the things that go on while we are healing. I've noticed that sometimes I feel hungry but when I sit down to eat, nothing tastes quite right. Looking forward to just feeling like myself again. I'm sure the medications we need to take are causing a lot of these weird things. Hope you are doing better tonight.
 
Yes won't that be great ! To feel normal . I hope your doing ok too
Food still a challenge to eat and chills come and go. Have the electric heater on in my bedroom now .


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Really wish the pain would let up and I could sleep :(


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Tammy7692, I found that putting an icepack under my knee and also one on top helped me get to sleep. I know you've had a problem with being cold, so cover up with a blanket too. The pain meds made me feel cold for a long time. I'm slowly cutting down on the Tramadol I take for pain and know I'm not sleeping as well as I was. Need to be off the Tramadol in the next few weeks as I just picked up my script from my surgeon and was told this is my last one. I was able to switch to Tylenol at about the same time with my last TKR, so it should be OK. Wish they realized we want to be out of pain & off these meds more than they do. Hope you get some sleep today, take naps if you can. The first few weeks are the toughest part of recovery. It will start getting easier soon.
 
Tammy, I hope you are feeling better. Have you tried taking a Benadryl for sleep? I had to take it to help me sleep. When your incision is completely healed, please try the Saran Wrap. Some nights it is my saving grace. The first time you try it, it will feel strange - give it another try. Things will get better. I promise. What pain meds are you taking now?
 
I haven't tried Benadryl but certainly will tonight 4-5 hours sleep is making me so tired. Thanks for info.
Can't wait Til pain lets up its better then week one but still so painful.
I am reminding myself good days are coming :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Tylenol and oxy. What does Saran Wrap do ?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks Karol will try the ice pack under knee I always put on top or side


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Tammy, the Saran Wrap keeps my knee warm and really helps the swelling. It will sweat under the wrap. Your incision must be fully healed before you do this - so please wait until that time. There is a YouTube video on here about it also. Good luck with the Benadryl. I buy the generic diphenhydramine. Since you are taking Tylenol now, doing it this way instead of Tylenol PM will help you stay within the safe limits of your Tylenol dosage. Good luck!
 
I just got changed to hydrocodone with acetaminophen so will see how this goes.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just a rant so tired of this pain and not sleeping :( . Can't wait to be normal again ...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Tammy. We are only one day apart in surgery dates! I'm so sorry to hear that you are still in so much pain. I have begun the Bonesmart regimen of taking Tylenol and Advil throughout the day (there is a suggested schedule posted somewhere...) and it seems to work very well. I still add 1mg of hydromorphone just before going to bed though, and I make sure I ice my knee for a good hour before going to sleep. My knee is all kinds of sensitive right now and I think I may try the saran wrap thing one night to see if that helps. I hope that you can get a good night's sleep soon...it will make all the difference to the way you feel.
 
Just a rant so tired of this pain and not sleeping :( . Can't wait to be normal again ...
@Tammy7692
What pain medications are you taking? It sounds as if one of two things is happening - either you're under-medicated, or you're doing too much.

It's still only just over a month since you had major surgery and, unfortunately, sleep disturbance is part of the recovery deal. Remember this article? Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
The answer is to try and accept the sleep disturbance - it will pass, but could take a while - and make up for it by taking daytime naps. Sleep where you can, how you can, when you can.
 
Are you able to nap at all?
 
I try to nap then lay down and insomnia happens. :( I am
Sure it will work itself out in time .
It's just hard to get comfortable.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I try to nap then lay down and insomnia happens. :( I am
Sure it will work itself out in time .
It's just hard to get comfortable.
At only just over a month from surgery, you should still be resting most of the time - at least 2 hours resting for every hour you are up.
You shouldn't need to make a point of lying down to nap, but could fall asleep in a chair, with your leg elevated.

Do you have somewhere that you use as you cosy little "nest", not necessarily the bed? You should have been able to find some way to get comfortable by now, as you don't have to lie in any one particular way. How do you normally like to lie?

I'm wondering if you're still taking your pain medications or if you've curt them back, because if you can't get comfortable, maybe you're under-medicated?
 
Still taking the pain meds they just don't seem to help me a lot. Changed three time to try and get better pain control


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom