Guest viewing is limited

TKR Tammy's new knee

Hi Tammy Praying you get better each day. I had bilateral on Dec 8. Sleeping has gotten better for me. Sleep for about 3 hours & wake
Up stuff but a few sliding knee up toward hips & just holding for a while helps me. I get like a band of tightness late in the day. Sounds like you are doing great. That first drive is great pure freedom. I'm 61 and been riding a Harley for 26 years along side hubby This is my goal since I didn't get to ride any last year. Great that you got family to help. I'm so glad I had it done both at same time. I still go to therapy once a week & swimming/walking in pool at YMCA twice a week Keep moving is what they tell me Take care


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks I am still worried about 4 hours of work a day. Knee is getting better but it's still so sore :(
And my sleep is still awful but one day at a time. Maybe getting back to work will help me sleep better .

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning Tammy. Have you tried to take some diphenhydramine to help you sleep? I only take one occasionally. Our sleep patterns get so disrupted with this surgery. Try to elevate whenever you can at work. Some people take an ice pack with them to work and use it during their break or lunch.
 
I will try that again for sleeping :)
Work will be a challenge . Good idea I will bring ice pack


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Whenever I go out I bring ice packs in my cooler. Always there in case of need.
 
Ok that was an awful night I tried to take Benadryl and I am
Still taking tramadol at night just one . Took one benadry at 9 pm. The one at 1 am .
I couldn't sleep and weird things happened I was like energizer bunny on steroids. I couldn't sit still had to keep getting up and walking. Then my left arm to elbow kept going numb like when you hit your funny bone and it ached all night . Still a little achy this am. Then started barfing about 230 am.
Finally seems like I fell asleep at 345 from being so tired.
Anyone have this happen from taking those two meds? I think I will pass on Benadryl after that ...

That sucked lol well tonight got to better .


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Benadryl does that to me also - and some sleep aids tend to also. Something different in us I guess.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yea for sure lol not doing that again
New plan do as much as I can today so hopefully I will be tired tonight

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Benadryl exacerbates Restless Leg Syndrome. For me it is awful. I am woozy from the Benadryl and twitching like a rabbit.


Pineapple
LTKR 2/2/16
RTKR Scheduled for approximately 5/15/16
 
So what's everyone's thoughts on before my knee replacement I had shoe inserts ( super feet inserts)
Should I still use these and I also heard it was good to replace your shoes after surgery as you walk different ? Any truth to that ?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's a good idea to replace your shoes, as the tread pattern worn on your old pairs will not suit your new gait. I don't know enough about those particular inserts to make a recommendation. If they are just gel inserts, they'll probably be OK, but if they are orthotics or to correct a way of walking, they may not be appropriate now.
 
I have custom orthotics and had to have new ones after the TKR. The originals had adjustments for my knees --a wedge that helped with the tracking. And I'll use any excuse for new shoes:)
 
Hi Tammy, Try some camomile tea to relax yourself before going to bed. It helped me and down have the side effects of benedryl. Twitching like a rabbit on steroids, I can identify with that ! Wish it didn't take so long to get back to s normal sleep pattern. My extra pillow is under my knees, between my legs , covers on & off all night. No wonder we need naps. This too shall pass !!!
 
Thanks I'll try that
I can't wait for it to pass :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My leg wasn't straight before surgery and afterwards it was so I needed new shoes since the wear pattern in the old ones wasn't even. I usually wear sneakers most days since I wear them at work. I went to a running store to find the right pair. If you have custom orthotics you should probably get them checked and also look at the wear pattern on your shoes for unevenness and replace them as needed.
 
First day of work seem to go ok Til I woke around midnight and muscles and knee very sore. Just a rant wish this were over so tired of pain :(
Have to work so time to get tougher..


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
On days that you go to work, try to do nothing else, except come home, grab a quick, easy meal, and rest, rest, rest, ice and elevate.
 
Thanks will do that for sure


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom