THR Tallguy79 recovery<

Ugh.
I hate that you struggle at work....feeling better only when you're away.
All I can do is hope another employment opportunity magically presents itself.
Don't give up hope.....you never know.
Stay in touch and enjoy the rest of the weekend. Thanks for updating. I wish things were better for you.
@tallguy79
 
I couldn't take the never ending pain at work anymore so I called the surgeon and got an appointment where he significantly changed restrictions and ordered a functional capacity evaluation. I'm back down to 6 hours shifts and 10 pound max until I get permanent restrictions. I completed the evaluation today so that will get passed on to the surgeon tomorrow and hopefully I will get permanent restrictions within a couple weeks. i won't be able to stay at my current job. Hopefully worker's comp will pay for vocational training in the form of an associates degree at the local Tech School. In the mean time I have less hours with less pay but also less pain so it's worth it.
 
Last edited:
I feel bad for you but this hardship may be a blessing in disguise and the vehicle to get you out of the no win situation you're in. I'm sorry you have to face change but I think it will be for the better. I'm sure the thought of furthering your education and learning a new trade is not something you're looking forward to, but it will bring you comfort in the form of less pain and hopefully peace of mind in that you will have some clear direction of your future.

It's like you've been dangling in mid air in a sense, waiting for the pain and stress to end, feeling trapped and unable to move forward. I'm sorry it had to come to this but am assuming you're feeling some emotional relief. Hopefully so anyway. Keep us posted.
Can't believe it's going to be your one year anniversary already in about six weeks! I'm happy to hear your pain has lessened.
Enjoy the weekend, it's almost here!
@tallguy79
 
Sorry to hear you're still in pain. Did the OS specify why you're in pain? I hope the opportunity to get an associates degree works out. I restarted my life over a few times with moving and changing careers. Do what's best for your health and possibly find something you really like, I know making money is important too.
 
:wave:I am glad you are getting a reprieve from hard days at work..
I'm sure you are going to do very well with whatever you pursue.
Rooting for you!:yay:
 
@Eman85 OS says everything looks good structurally so no indication of what the pain source is. It's from doing too much work for too long. I was standing/walking for 10 hours a day for 3 months before I finally said "enough!". That's probably close to 20 miles a day which is crazy for someone with a THR. I think my pain will go down a lot when I get to stop walking on cement for such a long time every day. I'm still doing 6 hours with my new restrictions which is still too much. Worst should be over though.
 
If the replacement is in good shape that's great and the strain of daily torture on the tissue must be what's causing the pain. Resting it should heal it. I hope you can get pain free soon. What we do to our bodies for money is insane. I can tell you first hand the long term effects are rough. I have pains all over my body especially if I do any hard physical labor any more. The pains seem to last a lot longer and the healing is a lot slower
 
@Layla I had my final follow up with the surgeon yesterday. He gave me a 50% permanent disability and I am limited to an 8 hour max shift with max of 33% in a standing position. Max 35 pounds lifting. Seems reasonable as long as the 33% isn't all at once. When I brought the note into HR, they said they would have something for me to do on Monday. I don't know how long that will last but I will be firm in making sure they don't have me working in a standing position more than 33% of the time. I will try not to quit. I will take it very easy and of they decide to fire me then that's fine. It doesn't look like they are willing to offer me an office job so I expect my time there is very limited. My pain is not getting any better so I don't mind getting fired and having some time off while I take my time looking for a sedentary job.
 
Hi @tallguy79
Thanks for the update. It seems unbelievable that you're only a week and a half away from your one year anniversary. It's good to read you're satisfied with your surgeon's recommendation, find it reasonable and intend to follow his direction. I hope you don't run into a problem at work as you try to abide by the disability guidelines. I'm sure you can't fathom it now, but if you do lose your job it may be a blessing in disguise. You seem more open to the possibility of employment elsewhere, which is good. I believe it will all work out for the best and I wish you luck. Stay in touch and let us know how things are going.
I hope you have a nice Sunday!
 
Hi :wave: @tallguy79
Missed your one yr anniversary :blush: sorry.
So...a belated Happy One Year Anniversary! :cheers:
I hope things are looking up for you.
Wishing you a great Summer! :SUNsmile:
 
@Layla I just got terminated from my employer because my permanent restrictions prohibit me from doing my job duties and they have no other work for me. I knew this was coming but it's a little unsettling. Now I have to start looking for an office job with no office experience. Bummer.
 
Aww, I'm so very sorry to hear this. Truly I am.
While I'm sure this makes you feel anxious and uneasy, hopefully it works out for the best once all is said and done. I think the physical demands of your job, even though reduced by the 50% disability status would eventually take its toll. I'm sure you realize that also. I understand this news is unsettling, and the prospect of a job search unappealing, but now you'll be forced to find something that hopefully in the end will be a better fit. Please stay in touch and let us know what your efforts are producing. Wishing you the best of luck in your search.
@tallguy79
 
Tallguy 79 just thinking...what about a sewing job in the factory? Sitting using the machine. That is just an idea maybe it will give you others.
Whatever wishing you the best.
 
Hi @tallguy79
Stopping by to say Hi, see how you're doing and wondering if you're having any luck with the job search?
I hope so. While this may feel overwhelming right now, hopefully it ends up being a "good thing" when all is said and done. Wishing you luck and hope you're having a nice holiday weekend!
 
@tallguy79 this was from a workman's comp claim I figured you might get something more than terminated. I would take all of the paperwork that you should have and see the employment security commission or whatever they call it in your state. They should be able to direct you to a good course of action for training.
 
@Layla I found someone willing to hire me for an entry level office job. It is a call center which is probably not a great fit for me since i'm an introvert but it's a start. I start on Oct 7th for 2-3 weeks of training. It will be normal office hours and I will be seated nearly the whole shift. Hopefully the desk/chair fit me so I don't have to tell them about my disability to force an accommodation. Pay is bad but not as bad as some. I can cover my normal bills including mortgage but won't be saving for retirement any time soon.
 
:wave: @tallguy79
I'm glad you found something that doesnt stress that hip so much.
I have always thought it is easier to get a job when you have one, so if things dont seem a good fit, possibly you can keep an eye out for something better.
Sure hope you have a good weekend!:tada:
 
Congrats! I'm happy to hear it. No one can see you when you're on the phone so hopefully that will put you at ease with the new job. You do well here on a public forum, so don't sell yourself short. I realize it's not face to face here, or at your new job, but I bet you'll do fine. Thankfully the pay covers your monthly expenses and networking with a new group of people may lead you to something more desirable with better pay. In the meantime you won't be standing on and walking on concrete floors all day like you've been and doing and no more heavy lifting! :happydance: Your hips will thank you. :yes:
Stay in touch and let us know how you're progressing. Until then...all the best to you!
@tallguy79
 
Good Morning and Happy Monday to you!
One week to go until you start your training. I hope you're warming to the idea with the thought in mind that you can search for something else if you're not liking it after a time. I understand that's easier said than done but sometimes realizing we have options makes it easier. I hope you have a nice week!
@tallguy79
 
Hello,
How did the first week of training go? Hopefully okay. This job will save your hips from the pounding they took as you stood on and walked on concrete all day, but you have to be happy also.
I hope it works out, but keep your ears open and eyes peeled in case it doesn't. It's a new network of people to communicate with which could lead to a door opening elsewhere for you if this doesn't work out.
Hope you have a nice week!
@tallguy79
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom