Guest viewing is limited

THR Tallguy79 recovery<

Stopping by to wish you a Merry Christmas!
Let us know how your appt goes on Friday.
:merry christmas: :treestar:
@tallguy79
 
Happy Friday!
Good luck at your appt today.
I hope you get a good report and all of your questions are answered.
Let us know how it goes, if you feel like sharing. We'll be here.
A great weekend to you!
@tallguy79
 
@Layla I am back from my follow up with the surgeon. At my request he removed the 8 hour per shift limit and just left the 40 hour per week limit. That means I can work my regular shift M-Th 10 hours/day. He wanted to only increase my weight limit from 8 pounds to 10 or 12 but I convinced him to let me do up to 15 pounds. That will allow me to do ~85% of my regular job. 10% will require 25 pounds and 5% will require 48 pounds. I think my employer will let me do my regular shift with just me and the other operator on the machine which is what I wanted. I have been just helping the two operators when and where I can. Now they won't have to force someone to come over from another location to fill my spot. It will require my partner to do all the lifting over 15 pounds which is a bummer for him but the supervisor will know we are going to slow the machine down a bit when we get the bigger roles. I will continue to see PT on Fridays to deal with any excessive pain from the new restrictions. I think it went well. OS thinks maximum medical improvement may only be a couple months away. Then he would send me for a functional capacity evaulation. The results of that is what OS would use to determine my disability % and permanent restrictions. If I can't get cleared for 48 pounds then I will lose my job.
 
Hi, thanks for updating!
I get the impression you want to be back on 4/10 schedule. I hope it didn't take much convincing to persuade the OS to release you to lift 15lbs as opposed to only 8-12lbs. Hopefully it won't be necessary for PT to help you remedy pain you've acquired because you're pushing the limits of what you can safely handle.

You mentioned your OS thinks maximum medical improvement may be only a couple months away. Recovery can take up to a full year. Even longer for some. Is that what he means by maximum medical improvement?

It may be wise to keep an eye open for other employment opportunities in the event you aren't cleared for 48 lbs. It's still concerning the effect your job may have on you long term.

I'm glad you feel the visit went well. Hopefully you're feeling pleasantly optimistic.
A great weekend to you!
@tallguy79
 
@Layla Maximum Medical Improvement(MMI) is used in Worker's Comp cases. MMI means that you have reached the point that you are no longer making progress in your recovery and it has been determined you are as good as you are going to get.
 
It's still concerning the effect your job may have on you long term.
Yep, that's my concern, too. I know there are no easy answers to this one - keep in touch, and I hope the next couple of months sees considerable improvement for you.
 
Happy Saturday!
I noticed you just passed 8 months post op on Monday.
How have things been going over the past month? Any better, or status quo?
I hope you're having a nice weekend. :)
@tallguy79
 
@Layla Sorry, I just now saw your post from over a week ago. Still have some pain. The more I work the worse it gets. If I had an office job I don't think I would have any real issues but being on my feet for 10 hours a day, probably walking around 20,000 step on cement, is causing prolonged pain. Still have a 15 pound weight limit until my follow up with the OS on Friday Feb 8th. Then it will likely go to 25 pounds. That won't matter much. Lifting isn't the problem, the significant walking at a fast pace is what causes the problems. I don't think I will quit this job on my own since it pays well(by my standards) and jobs are not easy to come by for me. I do kind of hope that the surgeon says I can't do 48 pounds when it comes time to assign permanent restricitions because then I won't be able to keep my job. Then work comp will have to help me find a new job even if that means paying for an Associates degree. Probably 1-3 months before I have the functional capacity evaluation which the surgeon will use to determine permanent restrictions. Until then I just have to try to get by with the difficult job.
 
Hi tallguy79,
No worries, life is busy. I understand.
I worry about you with those job requirements, which I've expressed months ago.
In all honesty, if the surgeon decides you can't lift 48 lbs and it disqualifies you from continuing your position, then so be it. As long as they'll aid in you obtaining an Associates degree and assist you in finding a job, it may be your best option. I'm sorry you continue to struggle with pain. It's no way to live, nor is pounding the concrete at 20,000 steps daily. You have my sincere sympathy. The thought of starting a new position elsewhere may not sound appealing but I'm thinking long term and I'm assuming you are also. Please let us know how your follow up goes on Friday.
Wishing you comfort as you move forward.
@tallguy79
 
@Layla Back from my follow up with OS. He increased my max weight from 15 pounds to 25 pounds for the next 6 weeks then 48 pounds after that. He took off the option to have me work the occasional 12 hour shift and specified 10 hour max per shift along with 40 hour max per week. My next follow up is May 10th. If I am able to do 48 pounds without much problem then he may decide to make that my permanent max on May 10th. He may not allow me to go higher than 40 hours a week but will consider possibility of 48 hours since he knows my employer wants that. Looks like May 10th(11 days short of 1 year) will likely be the day I get my permanent restrictions and my disability %.
 
Tall guy...I apologize for the long reply....your story hit home. I can sympathize with your situation. And I understand how difficult it is with your job requirements. You have accomplished far more than most could during your recovery time and you have proven what determination, confidence and understanding of what a prosthetic hip can do and also your new hip has its limitations while healing. You have a good understanding how to keep the bone in good shape as well as the soft tissue which can take quit a hit from surgery and with prolonged use as THR can leave us using the new hip joint in a different way than before.

I learned to be mindful of how to use the new hip. I’m sure you understand that more than most. Even though it has given you mobility and flexibility, use of the joint has its acceptable limits, which are different for each of us. In many cases it takes well up to a full year or more to heal and build up strength needed which can be very frustrating and yet walking is your best friend and TIME....

Try spring shoes they take the pressure off the joints improve walking and core strength. Change your shoes often and also try soft cushy insoles with good arch supports and be sure your walking correctly and have good ankle, knees and even back supports with good upright posture. Ask you doctor about hip support while lifting.It all adds up and really makes a big difference when on your feet all day. TIME...

I see you are almost at the year mark a few more months can make a big difference and don’t give up healing it is still taking place. Every day is another day I feel lucky to have mobility and there may be some limitations as this will get better for you as your body/mind adjusts . Lifting is the biggest challenge and I totally get it. I lift in a mindful manner (by planning ahead bringing objects with me to help maneuver heavy objects)wearing joint supports and using balance of the object and the weight of the object to move without lifting the entire object. I lift bales of hay from 40-60 pounds. You’d be surprised how using the old bean by balance and centrifical force has helped me move them over the years. Keeping core and upper body strength in check is a whopper to help move and lift.Be mindful also of the other hip, has it been evaluated. There is short term healing and there is long term healing, this is long term. TIME...

In many cases it all finally comes together no matter what or how you manouver, or what your techniques to accomplish the task or to the many degrees of accomplishments made so far. You have come this far and the rest will come.TIME....

If there is a chance you can take a vaca , for a little rest from what your doing to hit the refresh button so to speak.... take a few days off.TIME...

There is more healing to come as many things are coming together for you and more will be there ... time is your best friend...take it one day at a time. Sending hugs, support and healing angels your way.
 
Hi,
Wondering how you're feeling about it all?
Do you feel your hip can handle squatting and lifting 48 lbs and putting in 20,000 steps on concrete floors
ten hours per day, forty hrs per week? I know you're still in pain and that's the part that bothers me most. There is still some healing happening but I worry that your 40 hr per week job is only aggravating your current physical condition. I hate to see you struggle with it until you're in worse shape and decide you've had enough.
I can only hope that you're presented with an opportunity that's less physical since you're still struggling with pain. You have my sympathy. I'm sorry you're in the position you're in.
I hope you are able to rest after work and sleep well at night. Wishing you a relaxing weekend.
@tallguy79
 
@Layla The 48 pounds is only around 5% of my job. That increase in max weight shouldn't have a significant impact in my job. I won't know if I have a problem with lifting 48 pounds and walking with it for 10 feet a few times a day until I try it. I hope I can handle it. I hope that when i'm given permanent restrictions my employer doesn't say that they aren't good enough and I lose my job. If I lose my job I could lose my house and that doesn't improve anything. I'm not the type that can just go out and get another job like nothing. I went almost 5 years between permanent jobs last time I left a long-term job.
 
I understand, you're not in an ideal situation. You don't have a lot of options right now and need to adjust accordingly. I feel bad that you don't have more available to you, but it is what it is. I hope that the next few months bring more healing, strength and stamina. With any luck it will all work out for the best. Stay in touch and enjoy the weekend....AWAY FROM THE JUNGLE, lol.
@tallguy79
 
Hi,
Dropping by to say Hi.
Now that you have several weeks under your belt with your new weight increase at work,
I'm wondering how you're doing? I hope things are going well for you. Leave us an update when you're able.
Will look forward to hearing from you. :wave:
@tallguy79
 
@Layla I don't think the increase in weight has been an issue. The problem is the constant walking on cement for 10 hours/day 40 hours/week. Most of the time I am only lifting 10 pounds. Occasionally I have to lift 25 but it's not a problem doing the heavier weight as long as it's not constant like the other lifting. I am still having pain all the time and alternating between Ibuprofen and Tylenol every few hours every work day. When i'm off work doing normal daily activities pain is much less and pretty reasonable.
 
Back
Top Bottom