THR Tallguy79 recovery<

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you've had a good week.
Best wishes for a wonderful weekend!
@tallguy79

Have you considered getting a second opinion? I have had both hips replaced and one revision due to a loose stem. After my first THR I had intermittent issues with pain, and after three years it had progressed to the point I was left with no doubt something was significantly wrong. Prior to the revision I had multiple tests and they all came out negative for a problem with the implant - x-rays (multiple x-rays over time), bone scans, a dye test where they injected dye into the joint and took a scan to look for looseness. But the surgeon said it has got to be loose. He replaced the stem and it was loose - it just did not show up any of those tests. I suggest that you consult with another surgeon to find out why you are having so much pain and/or to rule out an issue with the implants.

I was discouraged that I needed a revision, but afterwards I felt great and still do - that was in Dec of 2014. My left THR was this past May and I feel great and am very active. After four months - and this is just my non-medical opinion - I would think you would feel better.

I hope you feel better soon.

Had my latest follow up with surgeon yesterday(4 months post op). Even though he thinks I have trochanteric bursitis he still took me off sedentary work duties. So my employer will have me walk around the warehouse doing inventory(8 pound max lifting). I will have to go to PT for up to 12 sessions to confirm and then treat the bursitis. Next follow up is November 9th. Unclear at this time if I will be cleared for full duty at that time.

Hi, Thanks for the update!
Hopefully you can handle the new work duties.
Will be curious to hear how the PT goes. Stay in touch and let us know how it's going.
Best of luck with next steps.
@tallguy79

:sad:Sorry you have to deal with bursitis.
Wishing you a restful Weekend!:SUNsmile:

Happy Five Month Anniversary!
Wondering how you're doing...Hopefully things are gradually improving for you.
Is PT helping? Leave an update when you feel up to it. Would love to hear how work is going.
Warm wishes for a good week!
@tallguy79

Five months post op today. Unfortunately I still have pain with every step I take. My last follow up with OS was almost 4 weeks ago and there has been no reduction in pain. In fact the pain is a little worse now than it was then since I have been taken off sedentary work and have been walking and standing on cement for 8 hours every day. There is very little pain in the hip itself. The pain is mostly in the mid-to-lower quad and the entire outside part of my thigh from the hip to the knee. PT thinks that is an IT band issue. I feel better after PT but it doesn't even last one day before the pain is back in full force. I have been taking Ibuprofen and extra strength Tylenol every day for months with no end in site. I sure hope it starts getting better soon. My next follow up is on November 9th and the OS will likey increase my weight limit from 8 pounds to at least 15. If that happens I will go from lifting almost nothing at work to lifting around 450 11 pounds rolls of paper every 8 hour shift or around 550 rolls per day if they move me to 10 hour shifts(still only 40 hours/week). A bit concerned about that. Since it is a work comp case there has to be documented improvement from one follow up to the next or I will be considered to be at maximum medical improvement and I know the surgeon won't be willing to say that at just 5.5 months. Therefore he will have to increase my weight limit at least a little but the result will be a big increase in lifting while at work and likely even worse pain. I may have to quit my job. In fact I applied for an office job at a different company yesterday.

I'm sorry you're still struggling. I was hoping it eased for you.
I'll be curious to see what the surgeon says on November 9th. If you don't get any satisfaction and have
to return to your previous duties at work, I'd look for another job also. I'm happy to hear you're preparing for that possibility. It's not worth the pain and wear and tear on your hips. Let us know how your OS visit goes. Wishing you comfort and a good week. Thanks for the update.
@tallguy79

:wave:
I hope you are able to find a less taxing job also!
Still lots of healing happening and improvement to come so keep the faith!:yes:

Good luck with your OS appt tomorrow.
I hope it goes well for you. Give us an update afterward if you feel like sharing.
Wondering if you've had any luck with the job search?
I hope you have a nice weekend!
@tallguy79

You are only 5 months post Op. your doing way better than I ever did. Sometimes there is a few hiccups along the way. It does sound like Iband...I had the same issue. It is important that it has been addressed and pt will help it heal it takes time. Your a tiger back to work already you have worked hard to get thru this so far . I am amazed that your on your feet all day, your are strong and determined . It takes almost a year or more for it all to heal for most of us hippies. Soon it will all be a faint memory and not another thought will cross you mind... it will all be behind you and you’ll be so glad you did have the surgery. Many healing blessing sent your way.xxxxHippylife

@Layla I'm back from my follow up with the surgeon. When I told him I have been walking on cement for 40 hours a week he seemed surprised. Six weeks ago he released me from sedentary work to just a 8 pound max so my employer assumed I could be on my feet the whole day every day. The surgeon was concerned that if he increased my weight limit my employer would just have me do the max again so he kept me at a 8 pound limit and 40 hour limit and this time he specifically added 8 hour max. My employer probably would have wanted to put me on 4-10's soon but now they can't for at least 6 more weeks. The OS recommeded I find less physical work where I am not walking on cement all day. He suggested a sit down forklift job since I have experience with that and don't have office experience. He said he expects that around the 10 month mark I will be sent for testing for a final determination of what my permenent restrictions will be. I will continue to go to PT for pain management. My next follow up will be on December 28th.

Last edited:
The surgeon was concerned that if he increased my weight limit my employer would just have me do the max again so he kept me at a 8 pound limit and 40 hour limit and this time he specifically added 8 hour max.
Glad your surgeon is looking out for you.
I know this has been awfully hard on you...but I think you have been very strong through it all.
Your health is the most important thing.
Hope you are resting and have an easy weekend!

Last edited:
Sorry that I'm slow to respond. Life called me away from the forum for a couple days.
I'm sorry you continue to struggle with pain, live with the aggravation of your current work duties
and the pressure in finding employment that will suit your new physical limitations. In the long run it will be best if you can find another job, I know you realize that. I wish you success in finding the perfect fit and much comfort along the way. Please stay in touch and let us know how your appt goes at the end of December.
I hope your week is a good one!
@tallguy79

Last edited:
Hi @tallguy79
Wondering if there have been any changes over the past several weeks?
Any luck in the job search?
I hope PT is helping you with the pain management. You must get frustrated some days.
I know you have the appt at the end of the month and hopefully you'll let us know how it goes.
Wishing you comfort in the interim and a wonderful Christmas.
I hope 2019 brings some positive change for you. Take care.

@Layla There has finally been some inprovement with pain while walking. My limp is much less than before but pain is only slightly lower. There is a noticeable improvement after my Monday PT session but it only last 1-3 days before it goes back to where it was. At least there is some progress. I am going to ask the OS to allow me to do 10 hour shifts starting Jan 2nd, still a 40 hour limit per week. I will also ask that my weight limit be increased from 8 pounds to 15 pounds. That would be enough for me to go to my shift(2nd shift) and do 80%+ of my job. My partner on the machine would have to do all the lifting of the 25 pounds rolls and 46 pound rolls. Most days there are around 10 of those heavier rolls and around 500 rolls between 11-14 pounds. I will give that atry for a few weeks before I look at any other jobs. I would like to stay where I am if I can since I won't make as much money in an office job without getting a degree and school is just not for me. I did apply for one job outside my company and two jobs within my company. Two of them I haven't even gotten an interview for and the other one I should find out next week if they will give me an interview. I'm not expecting one and after that I won't apply again until I know what's going to happen with my current job. Now I have to figure out how i'm going to shovel my driveway without breaking my 8 pound restriction. We have a few inches of heavy, wet snow. I guess I will use my small snow blower to get rid of the bulk of it then clean up with the shovel. If we get more snow than this I will have to pay for removal.

Good to hear from you! I'm happy to hear there's improvement even if it's only small. I hope it continues.
I also hope you're feeling up to the 10 hr shifts and not doing it because you feel pressured. I would assume once you start, there's no going back. I'm happy to hear you're looking for other jobs and I understand your hesitancy but you're still relatively young and have many years left to work. Wondering how you're feeling about this long term and the physical toll it may take on you? I'm sure you've thought about it. It's easy to blow those thoughts off and figure you'll deal with "whatever" when / if the time comes. We all do that easily enough. I just wish you'd continue looking on a regular basis as you never know what may turn up one of these days.
Keep in touch and let us know how your appt goes at the end of the month.
A great week to you!
@tallguy79

I hope you're doing okay...Stopping by to say, Hi :wave:
Wishing you a nice holiday season and a happy, healthy 2019!
Let us know how your appt goes on the 28th.
A great weekend to you!
@tallguy79

:wave:@tallguy79
Hope your holiday is bright!
:tree lights:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member