THR Tallguy79 recovery<

@Layla The job is not looking promising right now. On Oct 18th, the end of the second week of training, I have to take a test. If I fail the test my employment is terminated. Minimum passing score is 85%. Passing does not seem likely at the moment. It is certainly less physical than my previous job but more than ideal. I have to walk about 7 minutes from the parking garage to the office(one way). On Thursday there was a fire drill. I had to go down 3 flights of stairs and I had to do it fast enough to not get run over by the hundred+ people behind me. I was quite sore after I got back even though I took some Extra Strength Tylenol beforehand. I was still sore from that on Saturday but Saturday was the only option for mowing the lawn. Now i'm even more sore and will likely have to take something for the pain before work tomorrow. Tomorrow we are going on a tour of the 4th floor which is where we will be working after training. We will be meeting the Sales Managers and seeing where our cubicles will be. It's a large area so I will be walking a lot tomorrow.
 
Aww, that's too bad. I'm sorry it's not looking too promising at this point but fingers crossed :fingersx: something changes this week. If you pass the test, try to give the job a fair shake and use it as an opportunity to meet and engage with new people who may offer insight helping you move in another direction.

If you'll be sitting most of the day, look at that seven minute walk, morning and evenings as healthy exercise and take it at your own pace, at least after work when you'll most likely be in less of a hurry to get to your vehicle. Living in Wisconsin, the walk may not be ideal when the pavement is icy or slippery. You'll need to order some of those traction devices you slip over boots for safety....if you don't own a pair already. We were just discussing these on someone's thread the other day....wish I could remember where. @mainegirl1 may recall as I know she was part of the conversation. You could read of the brands that were recommended and those that received a thumbs down.

Hopefully fire drills are a rare occurance. If it happens again soon, possibly you could find a way to lag behind rather than feeling pressured, or pushed to hurry. That's IF you're notified in advance there will be a DRILL.

If you need to take something for the pain you're experiencing over the next few days, don't hesitate. I'm sure it's only temporary and hopefully you can come home after work / training and ice with your feet up, not doing much else until you're feeling back to normal again. Hope it eases soon.

Wishing you comfort and a good week as you continue the training.
@tallguy79
 
@Layla this was the thread though I think its the least of Tallguys concerns and the employer ought to have the surfaces treated.
At any rate @tallguy79 don't give up. I hope you can believe in yourself. I too am an introvert in person but actually loved working in a call center ( I was NOT selling anything!)
 
@tallguy79 Sometimes, maybe most of the time, introverts do the best in call centers because they actually listen to the caller. You might be surprised and even come to like it.
 
I think its the least of Tallguys concerns and the employer ought to have the surfaces treated.

Possibly I misunderstood, tallguy...not sure? But I thought he was communicating that he has to walk outdoors for 7 mins from his vehicle to his work place in the morning, and back to his car again after work with the new job. If that's the case, he may want to consider those traction devices for a safer walk on icy, slippery pavement during the Winter months.
 
I don’t think all places of work treat their parking areas appropriately to handle ice and snow. Even though they should.
 
@tallguy79 I remember you saying the whole THR was a workmen's comp related injury and also that a Dr. declared you 50% disabled. Have you contacted any of your state's gov't agencies? That's where I would start and they surely have some training and assistance programs for you to find an employment path. It might not happen with the first person you talk to but I would be looking into it.
 
The good news is I passed the test and completed the initial training. This upcoming week I continue my training at my new desk. I work with a mentor to train on the phones. Unfortunately I woke up Saturday with a cold and it was worse this morning. Looks like I will be talking all day with a sore throat and cough. Bummer for me and everyone who has to work with me for the next week or two.
 
Hello :wave:
Congrats on passing the test, that's awesome news!
Sorry to hear about the cold. Bring lots of cough drops, or hard candy. I like Lemon Drops because cough drops get sickening. Drink lots of fluids. Bring some Chicken Noodle Soup for lunch, you can even buy those packets of Lipton Cup A Soup you can add to a mug of hot water. That should feel soothing to a sore throat.

Make sure you cough into your elbow or your mentor will bop you over the head with the phone. :heehee:

Try Chamomile Tea, or Peppermint, or Ginger if you can tolerate drinking tea.
Feel better soon and let us know how the week goes. I hope the hip is doing well, or even better now that you're no longer lifting, standing and walking on concrete all day.
@tallguy79
 
Aaargh...lousy colds:cry:
I up my vitamin C when I start feeling a cold coming on and it does seem to help.
I also hope that your hip is happier since you quit that labor intensive job.
New jobs are So Awkward... just have to get through these first few weeks.
Think I said it before, but often it is easier to get a job when you've got one.
So you can keep an eye out for something as you see if this one will be something you can settle in to.

All the best, @tallguy79
 
Happy to hear you passed the test and training, sorry about the cold. Hope your hip is doing better and continues to get better now that you're off the concrete, lifting and such. You can continue to look for other employment while you're doing this to cover the bills, it really does seem easier to get a new job when you already have one.
 
Cough, cough, hack, hack, how did it go?
Did you annoy the mentor with your cough? Hopefully not...
@tallguy79
 
@Layla My cough was minimal but getting worse. Everyone in my section had a cold to differing degrees. When you have so many people in such a small space, once one gets sick they all get sick. Washing hands, hand sanitizer only go so far. It's just inevitable.
 
Well, it's good for you in a way that you're not the only one, then no one can blame you when their turn rolls around. I'd hate to be the only one hacking all day while everyone's sneering at you and giving you the side eye. :skep:
I hope you feel better soon! :mcoffee:
@tallguy79
 
I have had an increase in pain on the back of the hip presumably from sitting for hours at a time on a fairly cheap office chair. Not as painful as the pain from walking too much but more pain than I was expecting from office work. I hope this doesn't get any worse.
@Layla
 
Last edited:
Hello...
I'm sorry. I'll bet it's from sitting also. Hopefully you're able to take regular stretching / walking breaks. If I were you, I'd do a little online research and purchase a cushion to use at work. No shame in that, you had a hip replacement. Possibly one of those memory foam? Maybe others will stop by with suggestions.

You'll find one in the Recovery Articles I've included below. I'll see if I can find any other info for you also - https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/recovery-aids-a-comprehensive-list-for-hospital-and-home.12499/
I hope all else is going well. Wishing you a good week!
@tallguy79
 
@tallguy79 I remember you saying the whole THR was a workmen's comp related injury and also that a Dr. declared you 50% disabled. Have you contacted any of your state's gov't agencies? That's where I would start and they surely have some training and assistance programs for you to find an employment path. It might not happen with the first person you talk to but I would be looking into it.
If your THR was work comp, you should be collecting a check from them every week. Did you have an Attorney? If not, I would hire one. They work on a contingency basis. If you don't get anything, they don't get anything. They can't fire you for a work comp injury in Texas. I don't know about Wisconsin. I would sure check though. Good luck and glad to hear your THR is doing better. I have mine
on November 25th. Not looking forward to it!
 
@Layla What is a Lounge Doctor? I saw you mention it to ceezee in a prior post. Also, what does ODIC mean?
 
I found, when sitting for long times that I needed to be sure that I wasn't perching on the edge of the chair. leaning forward all tensed.
I still struggle with that when I get engrossed in things, then I just need to get up and walk around for a bit.
I wonder if there is a possibility of getting a better chair that is better suited for you?
@tallguy79
 
@Dhall Yes it was a work comp injury. I am getting a monthly payment based on my permanent partial disability(PPD) rating. I will get this monthly payment for a total of almost 4 years. Nothing after that except continued coverage of qualifying medical costs for up to 6 years.

My employer was able to fire me because my surgeon gave me permanent restrictions that did not allow me to continue to do my manual labor job. For the year following my THR I was on temporary restrictions and my employer could not fire me during that time.
 
Back
Top Bottom