Guest viewing is limited

THR Tallguy79 recovery<

Thanks for updating.
You must be breathing a sigh of relief. Increasing the walking sounds like a great idea. Why don't you just concentrate on that before beginning inclines. I don't see why ankle weights would be necessary at this point. I'll bet the increased walking will help though. Go slowly, increasing distance gradually. Slowly but surely you'll get there.
I hope you have a good day!
@tallguy79
 
@Layla The ankle weights were just a substitute for incline when I build up to that. I think I will get a membership at the gym 2 miles down the road. There I can use a treadmill that simulates an incline. I will focus just on increasing my walking time(flat surface) for the first couple weeks and build from there.
 
Sounds reasonable. I'll bet you see progress too which will be good.
Obviously you can't keep your desk job indefinitly so you may as well get yourself
in the best shape possible without overdoing it. Still wish you didn't have to go back to that squatting
and heavy lifting.
Have a good one!
@tallguy79
 
Tallguy is on the move. :egypdance:
Getting rid of that bad hip will get you back to healthy and happy.
I think you've done very well!
Good for you!

I had a hard time with uneven terrain and didn't like inclines:sad:
Take care and easy does it on that part.
Hope your day is a good day !
 
I agree about the ankle weights and not even sure why.
Just doesn't seem necessary and not sure it's wise....
I'm tagging @Jaycey to weigh in on this.
Curious about what she's learned about using ankle weights during recovery.
@tallguy79
 
You will just make yourself sore and achy using ankle weights. Don't bother. If you start on a treadmill start flat and slow building up your time very gradually. Slow and steady works better than trying to sprint.
 
Weights and tension bands...didn't find them useful...found them to cause me to feel sore and achy...
Really.
 
Just want to addd something here @tallguy79. There is a risk you run wearing ankle weights in that you can over stimulate you hip flexors (can’t remember the name of the three muscles at the moment), and cause tendinitis. When my hip was scoped, the traction out tremendous stress on my hip flexors. For a while I couldn’t even lift them. I thought this was due to weakness, so I worked then (with ankle weights no less). The end result was tendinitis in one of my hip flexors. So, just a word of caution... hip flexors Benicia from strengthening, but sometimes rest is best. If it hurts when you lift your leg, or you get that “good burn” in them (which you should never feel in hip flexors)... or if you struggle to lift your leg with the weights on, that is a sign to stop. Just my two cents.

Cheers
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary! (tomorrow)
How are you feeling? Work? PT?
I hope things are beginning to fall into place for you week by week.
Leave us an update when you're feeling up to it.
Wishing you a good week!
@tallguy79
 
I'm closing in on 4 months and still have pain with every step. I have pain in several different areas but the worst is on the lower outside part of thigh. The surgeon wanted me to increase my walking over these 6 weeks before my next follow up on Sept 25th. After the first two weeks the pain got to the point that I could barely bare weight on my leg so I have cut out almost all walking outside of work. It has started getting a little better but still hurts every step I take. I have to take ibuprofen just to get thru the day and i'm just doing low end office work. I know the surgeon is going to expect me to start doing some manual labor after the next follow up but I just don't see how that will happen unless I take a lot of pain killers. Getting concerned that I will never be able to go back to my regular job. They don't have a permanent office job for me so I could be unemployed after a couple more months.
 
I'm sorry you're still struggling with pain at four months post op.
What does you're surgeon think the source of your pain is? I don't understand ignoring your pain and
prescribing you walk more. Is that all he's offering as a remedy to your undiagnosed pain, walking?
@tallguy79
 
@Layla The pain got worse after I started walking more after my last follow up appointment. I did contact the surgeon's office after the pain got worse and they said to let the pain be my guide and reduce my activity if I have a lot of pain so that's what I have done. I'm sure at 4 months, it is still just considered part of the process. Being a work comp case I don't think the surgeon will let me just continue as I am for another 6 weeks. He will require that I start doing some muscle building exercises most likely at work hardening. I would have to go to the work hardening area of the rehab clinic and do work based manual labor under the supervision of occupational therapists. It's going to hurt but it may be what I need to build my leg muscles so they don't hurt as much long term. I have to be able to stand and lift boxes for 10 hours to do my regular job so if I can't even do work hardening for 4 hours a day then I guess I will be out of a job. Only way to know is to try it for 6 weeks or so and see what happens.
 
Its hard to come up with words. I feel bad for the predicament you're in with both workers comp and your
job description of lifting boxes for ten hours a day. I don't see this as beneficial long term. That's if you're even able to do it. It's like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. I know we've had an exchange about this before, but you may need to find another job. It could be better for you in the long run.
@tallguy79
 
Definitely try massage. What do you have to lose?
 
It's not a matter of whether I can do the job or not, it's a matter of whether or not I can tolerate the pain it will cause. I will just go along with whatever the OS says for a couple more months and hope the pain is better by then. I assume healing will continue to take place for at least that long so it could still turn out ok.
 
I hope you're right. Truly, I do. I just worry you'll aggravate whatever is causing the pain.
Go slow. It sounds like that's your only option anyway. Try massage. Hopefully it will offer you some comfort and relief. Stay in touch.
Hope you have a nice Sunday.
@tallguy79
 
I just finished reading your thread @tallguy79 all the way from post #1 to the one you just posted. I’m not a doctor, not a nurse, etc., etc., But I have been a English teacher for over 30 years, and man, if most of my students were as articulate as you, I’d be one happy retired professor!

I know you say college (I guess even community college) isn’t for you, but the essay I just read about your pain and angst could be the beginning of a riveting book. Those are some mad verbal skills you have there!

Just writing to say hang in there, and perhaps think outside of your box...
 
Sorry to hear you're still in such pain. Mine was posterior but the outer edge of my thigh stayed sore for quite q while. Just rubbing my hand along it while sitting I could feel the soreness. I really just started to notice that soreness has gone away. My other soreness/pain was closer to the incision and around my butt. Massage did help it along with stretching.
Doing the job with pain is not going to do your body any good. I know it's workmen's comp so if I were you I'd get some professional advice on your situation.
 
Back
Top Bottom