THR Take a deep breath! Jump in!

Sitting here on the couch feeling like a slug. Have had insomnia the past 2 nights--not totally sleepless but waking early and not getting back to sleep (3 a.m. this morning). I don't think the insomnia is post-surgical--I think it's a recurrence of an ongoing problem. At least I don't have to struggle with trying to get to work in a sleepy haze!

Hip is slowly improving. Walking around the house mostly without any aids and beginning to do so outside as well. Getting out each day for short errand running or meeting friends. The winter weather has interrupted any outdoor walking--I'll need to come up with a different plan for exercise. Previous winters, before my hip went south, I cued up and followed low impact aerobic videos for wintertime exercise. Might be too soon for that right now but eventually. Feeling a bit down but I think that's mostly due to gray, cold, damp weather and lack of sleep.

Feeling a bit down but I think that's mostly due to gray, cold, damp weather and lack of sleep.
I think you are right. Lack of sleep plus dark, gray and cold days get everyone down. I hate these very short, dark days.

Is there a shopping mall near you? Walking inside on an even surface might help you transition to more wintertime exercise.

@Jaycey I'm coping better with the short days than I usually do because I can get out in whatever light there is during the day so that's a silver lining to the recovery period. When I'm at work full time, I leave the house just after it's gotten light and come home in the dark. And if it's icy and/or bitterly cold I don't leave the building at lunch. Feel like a mushroom most of the winter!

A mini-landmark today. I got in the car to go do an errand and realized I'd forgotten my cane--it was sitting on the dining table in the house. Ha! Later I strolled down the driveway to get the mail, caneless. Slowly, slowly inching forward.

That's wonderful, @gertie! As of tomorrow for me, no brace, can full weight-bear and going to first PT! We are progressing...

Ugh! Did you see how cold it's going to get this weekend? Bone chilling.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

@gertie, very cold weather is here, too. It won't be above freezing for the foreseeable future, with more snow coming starting on the weekend. Next week on Wednesday, it will be -10 degrees F! And below zero the day before and after, too. I won't be making any plans to go out for those days. I put the ornaments on our tree today, and wrapped the few presents I'll be giving the day before. So I am officially done getting ready for the holidays. Except for my Christmas cards, which I won't send until after my son gets here on Christmas day, so we can include a group photo with him in it.

My PT is on Friday. My leg is a bit sore. Maybe I've been doing too much.

@gertie Yes, you start leaving cane behind. Good for you! Progress! Just be careful!

@Krista Wow! Glad to hear you are getting around so well by now. I am just getting going on Christmas shopping. Finally a nice cool day of 64 degrees. I am finally in the mood to shop! Your temperatures are just crazy!

@BusterBeans Those temperatures are ridiculous! How on earth do you stay warm? Yesterday I was shopping for nice flat shoes for a Christmas party and worried it would be too hot in the car for canned cat food that I just bought. Wasn't in store long however. I am dreaming of cooler climates at least for Christmas!

Six week report:
--Walking mostly without a cane during the day, unless I'm going to be on really uneven ground--keep the cane by the bed for when I get up in the night. Op leg feels strong when I'm walking.
--Had in-house PT for a few weeks right after surgery. She suggested I wait a bit to do outpatient PT--give tissue more time to heal. I have a Rx for outpatient and will try to set up an appt soon.
--Still dealing some with fatigue and know that this might continue for a while. Essentially, I don't have any reserve energy--if I have a night with less than optimal sleep I am wiped out the next day. Met a friend for lunch and then did a couple of errands today and I now want a nap.
--Just talked with HR person at work and said I was hoping to come back on Jan 3 on a phased return. He thought that sounded good. I have short term disability benefits until Feb 1 but don't think I'll need to be out that long.
--Continue to have minimal pain, although soreness might increase a bit when I start working more on ROM--things are very tight! Will need to proceed cautiously.

Ha! Just had what feels like a fairly normal Saturday! Coffee with a friend first thing, a couple of errands, home for an hour or so before going out with another friend for a couple of errands to a nearby orchard and farm store, then home to do some cooking for the rest of the afternoon. No cane indoors or out and hip feels fine.

Relaxing now on the couch, feeling some fatigue but not the overwhelming exhaustion I've felt in previous weeks. We'll see how I feel tomorrow--I have various plans but have already let folks know that I might bow out.

@gertie Sounds like you are right about where I am. Getting around without a cane. Went to visit a friend in the hospital an hour and a half away at a very large hospital. Took 20 min to park in parking garage, walk to elevator, walk to hospital, get another elevator and then after the visit repeat the whole process. Used my tall umbrella for support, So glad I took it in the car. At 6 week appointment I got an Rx for PT but decided to wait until Jan. To start it. Dr. said I Still had inflammation in left hip so I am not pushing the exercise. Besides, I am walking a lot while Christmas shopping. Glad you are doing so well. Get your rest.

@SwimGirl Love the umbrella support! Isn't it wonderful when these hips heal well?

Yes, in general I'm getting around well on the op side--but after my "normal" day on Saturday, when I was up and moving a lot, my non-op side has been protesting. I've got arthritis in both the hip and knee on that side and neither is happy about the increase in activity--I'm gently telling them to get with the program. I think I too will hold off on PT, mostly because of scheduling right now.

@gertie I agree! Too much going on in December to stop and do PT. My order is 3 times a week for 4 weeks!
Who has time for that until after Christmas! Also, I looked up plum pudding recipes online. Looks like a Christmas food with fruit and nuts for certain! Enjoy the snow! I am so bummed. We had one cool 60 degree day and now we are back to 86 degrees! I will have to go north for a white Christmas!

@SwimGirl Just went out to do a few errands in the slop that's left after snow gets cleared away--would gladly trade this for warmth!

Ha! Ha! No one seems happy with what they have! Grass is always greener on the other side until you get there!

What is the PT for? My OS advised that I didn't need PT beyond the 2 classes I had in the hospital. But then I had a mini posterior without any complications.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

@BusterBeans I asked for the PT--but haven't made an appt yet so you can tell I'm a bit ambivalent. I want someone to help me safely regain flexibility--and keep me accountable. I know a couple of stretches given to me by the PT who came to the house after surgery but I'm not very consistent in doing them. And I also want someone to assess my gait, LLD, etc. Probably just a few visits--no aggressive strength training.

Happy New Year! I'm just a little over 8 weeks into recovery. I haven't been on the forum in a while--got caught up in holiday stuff, sister visiting, get togethers with friends, etc. Sis left mid-week and there's a lull right now before I start work again next week--not looking forward to that! I'm planning to phase in and hope to really stick to that but know there will be a pull to get back to full time quickly.

I clearly joined the ODIC in the lead up to the holidays. Prepping for sis's visit and then doing things with her meant more in and out of the car, on my feet more, bending down a bit more, sitting in hard straight back chairs in restaurants and at friends' houses and I've paid for it with an increase in soreness, especially in the groin area and at one point down the hamstring. Was able to back off of busyness over the Christmas weekend--didn't go near the car on Christmas day--and have been more cautious since then, trying to limit car trips and errand running and things are gradually improving. Hope that continues once I go back to work!

Energy is somewhat better as long as I get a decent night's sleep although I still get hit with sudden fatigue and longing for a nap (a good reason to start work slowly). It seems like it's this energy thing that people who haven't had this surgery really don't get and if I mention it they look at me worriedly like I must have some sort of undiagnosed illness and I reassure them that this is normal but they don't quite believe me. Even my sis, who had her knee replaced, doesn't quite get it--I suspect she's forgotten what the recovery felt like.

Hope we all have happy and healthy 2017s.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom