Guest viewing is limited

THR Take a deep breath! Jump in!

Was just reading through your battle with that 4 week lull @gertie . I can relate. Hitting that wall again is frustrating, even though I knew it was coming I am struggling with it. I know it comes and goes for all of us. Seeing you punch through to the other side of it is helpful.
 
@gullimac I'm not sure I've punched through to the other side but I have made a dent in the wall! Feeling pretty good today after a good night's sleep and the sun is out. Yipee! I just went to the supermarket and about half way through felt that fatigue wash over me--quickly got the essentials, found a short line, and home but it does hit suddenly.
 
@gertie , funny you should mention iPad - I just dropped my iPhone, no grabber anywhere near (doh!!) & amused the cat greatly by trying to chopstick it up onto a low chair with my crutches! Impossible!!
As bad as playing lasso games with the legs on one's underwear when grabber has disappeared! A whole new range of games for Hippies!!
 
@doopy Someone should make a video--impossible hip precaution situations and how to deal with them--lassoing the undies, grabbering the iPhone/iPad, putting on stretchy fabric pajama bottoms with a grabber, trying to thoroughly clean the cat box with a long handled scooper that just chases the clumps around the box...
 
@gertie, well done in supermarket! Fantastic - it's the beginning of the end of all this, light at the end of the tunnel! I just pottered today & then slept for an hour in my beloved recliner, watching rubbish "house search" programmes on my laptop - bliss! But what I'd give to be able to vacuum the house!!
 
@doopy It's an interesting time for sure when going to the supermarket and vacuuming the house seem like causes for celebration!
 
Hmm, am using cat-mad mother-in-law for cat tray, though cat does go out but gets attacked by beastly neighbouring cat every time. He's really unhappy - he just can't settle when he sees my crutches.
Yes - I can see a YouTube video going viral of crazed Hippies (& not in the 1960s type) wrestling with stuff - my embarrassing one is having my behind snapped at by the loo seat & lid which sort of fall down because of the raised loo seat - it's a race to see who gets to make it down first - seat or me! (apologies if that's too graphic!).
Well, we have to laugh!!:heehee:
 
I'm am seriously fed up with my painful, OA involved non-op hip and knee. I wonder if it's gotten more painful the past few days because I'm no longer taking the aspirin, which was for blood thinning purposes but might have also had some anti inflammatory properties? Just went out for a short stroll--R (no op) hip hurt a bit but not too much but then just after I turned around to come home, the R knee kicked in and was so painful at one point it felt like it wanted to give way. I limped home and wondered if I should put the cane in the other hand since the non op leg felt more need of support than the op leg. Once I got in the house the pain quieted down a bit but...this will really impede my recovery.

Before my hip got so bad this summer I assumed it would be my r knee that would be replaced this year and it looks like it's telling me that should happen--and then there's my r hip which is sounding off as well (after being pretty quiet up to this point). Ugh.
 
@gertie I am wondering what joint will be next? My OS recommends having hips done before knees. Not sure why that is. Perhaps for stability. It seems like those who Have knees done first seem to have more alignment problems. Take your time before having surgery again. In the meantime try to get off NSAIDS.
Have you done any research on curcumin? It is really advertised in the health food stores as an alternative for
Aspirin, ibuprofen and other nsaids. I took it preop until the 10 day cutoff before surgery. I am not taking any long walks except inside the grocery store and Walmart! And then there are the handlebars on the carts to hold onto. When cart is to the car I remove my cane from cart and get into drivers seat! I will walk the mall later.
Much later!
 
@SwimGirl thanks for your reply! I know there are risks with NSAIDS but I get regular bloodwork done as a precaution--I tried curcumin but it didn't work very well and upset my stomach. The Celebrex seems like the best thing right now--acetaminophen has worked well for the post surgical pain in my hip but doesn't touch arthritis pain.

I too have heard that about hips before knees--what you say about alignment makes sense--I've also heard that b/c the THR is an easier recovery it makes sense to do that first--and get stable hips before tackling the knees--but my knee may not give me any choice. I am really not eager to do another major surgery any time soon but I also want to be able to walk and enjoy my new hip.

I have done more walking today--around the house, 2 very short walks outdoors, the grocery store (love those carts), a doctor visit--and I do wonder about LLD and whether a slight lift might help--a PT in the hospital said I was "vaulting" when I walked--feels like I come down extra hard on the non-op (and shorter feeling) leg. To be discussed at my follow up on Wednesday!
 
Remember @gertie that Josephine said it takes about 4 months or so for your mind and body to register that legs are NOT different lengths. It just feels that way. At least I think it was about 4 "months. But, it is well worth mentioning at your appointment. I kept telling my OS please make sure I am level on my hips! Ask OS about your knee while you are there. After having my hips done I am amazed at what I can do now that I had gradually lost over time. I can reach my feet! So wonderful to stand for long periods and not feel tired! Yeah! Good luck at your follow up!
 
@SwimGirl Yeah, the LLD is weird--might be all about perception but I clearly feel myself kind of hitching up and then coming down when I walk as though I'm compensating for one leg being longer. Strange, strange, strange.
 
@gertie I notice after surgery there is always something that needs attention, LLD, walking gait differences, stomach problems, suture problems, etc. Thank goodness for BS so we can all share our own strange experiences and know someone else has lived through it!
 
I had my second follow up visit today, with the nurse practitioner I saw for my first, 2 week follow up--won't see the OS until I go back in February for my 3 month visit. X Ray looks good. I asked, again (broken record that I am) about precautions. For those who haven't followed my saga, the approach my OS uses supposedly does not require any precautions but he's new to this very large and very conservative practice and doesn't want to rock the boat so--precautions in place supposedly for 3 months. BUT...it seems that the long list of "no-nos" that I was given on discharge from the hospital don't actually apply (I haven't stuck my op leg out in front of me to stand up from a chair for weeks) and at this point the biggest "DON'T DO IT" is crossing mid-line with the op leg, especially with a flexed op leg--not a big deal for me. I can bend beyond 90 degrees as long as I bend down between my legs and knee on op side is turned out. I don't have the flexibility yet to do this move but I can start working toward it, which would mean I could cut my toenails and zip up my winter boots!

Got a Rx for PT and I'll make some calls tomorrow to figure out who I want to work with. I'm mostly looking to PT to help me safely regain flexibility and make sure my gait is OK.

I drove myself to this appt--40 minutes each way, mostly on the highway, and it was fine, even in the rain coming home. Woo-hoo! The world is opening up.

Talked about my arthritic right knee--and hip. Knee is definitely in worse shape than the hip. She said the hip had some visible arthritis but not yet severe. I might end up getting a cortisone shot in the knee to see me through the winter but for now, at her recommendation, I'm going to try a small heel lift in the right shoe to see if that takes some stress off that knee. I meant to ask about whether it was OK to do pool exercise but forgot--I'll call about that.

I asked again about the fatigue. She thinks it's mostly due to healing still happening but said I might still be processing the general anesthesia as well. She said her mother (this is the 2nd time she's referred to her mother's experience which makes me think mom is probably about my age and therefore a reference point) had some degree of fatigue for up to 3 months after a recent hip replacement--not constant but would creep up on her.

And that's the report at 5 weeks out!
 
Went out to lunch today, at a restaurant! Such simple things bring such pleasure. I was prepared to hoist myself up off an armless chair if need be but didn't have to--the tables for 2 had chairs with arms, yippee! The handicapped bathroom was only minimally accommodating--grab bar next to toilet but fairly low commode--but I managed. Another step back to normal life. (Of course I have spent the rest of the afternoon reclining on the couch.)
 
@Jaycey I seem to remember you posting some simple, safe hamstring stretches on someone else's thread--just can't remember where it was. Can you point me toward them?

I'm having some mild buttock and back of leg pain--might be mild sciatic pain. After several weeks of sitting mostly with my legs elevated, the past few days I've been out in the car and sitting in regular chairs more. All the stretches I know would move me too far past 90 degrees.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@gertie yes I posted about hamstring stretches. They really helped me post LTHR. I was having major spasms in the same areas as you. I think it was piriformis but the stretching did help.

Start very slowly and gently. I just sit in a chair, raise the leg straight out in front and pull my toes toward my body. Works a trick for sciatic pain as well.
 
@Jaycey Thank you for the info about hamstring stretches--very useful!

Snow here today--ugh. I usually enjoy the first snowfall but not this year--too wary of slipping and sliding. Temperatures are going to be on the mild side all week so the snow will melt but still, this is a taste of what's to come. Tropical climates are looking good right now!
 
@Jaycey I swear by Stabilicers--and will certainly approach the great outdoors with caution (if I can figure out how to zip up my boots with my currently limited flexibility!)
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom