Guest viewing is limited

THR Take a deep breath! Jump in!

oh my am I getting tired of dragging!
It's the energy drain Krista posted about. It's also what I call the one month slump. Mentally you are feeling pretty good. And you are moving around a bit better. But the body just isn't quite ready for full on yet.

My prediction - give it a couple of weeks. What seems impossible now will be easy very soon.
 
What seems impossible now will be easy very soon.

Oh, I look forward to that day!

I've had a bit of a funky tummy the past couple of days and last night, one thing that set it off was taking some acetaminophen--doesn't usually bother my stomach but last night I felt queasy after taking it so I've not taken anything today as I let things settle down and I can really tell that I still need to be taking it! Muscles all over are feeling sore, not just around the op hip. Tummy is feeling better and if that continues tomorrow morning I'll try the acetaminophen again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just to say that my walker is now mostly a piece of furniture in my bedroom where I drape discarded clothes! I was using it in the middle of the night for bathroom trips but no longer. It is a handy clothes storage item though.
 
@Miss Muffet I'm on a cane--and in the house I'm starting to forget it--get halfway down the hall and realize the cane is still in the living room! Early in the day, my gait without aids is fine but as I get more tired the cane is needed to keep my walking smooth.

It seems to be the norm here to go from walker to cane and skip the crutches stage.
 
@gertie - I'm stiff and awkward first thing and loosen up gradually. Always a bit stiff when getting up after sitting for a while. Ah that's interesting going from walker to cane. I have to say you are making great progress - imagine where you'll be in a few weeks time. :yahoo:
 
Hi @gertie, just wanted to chime in & empathise! I'm Day 14 & finally left the house for the first time to go to Sunday lunch in a pub - it was great seeing friends & all I had to do was be driven, walk a few feet, then sit & eat but boy! was it exhausting! Came home desperate for my recliner & was asleep within minutes! And I too am fretting about getting the house ready for Christmas!
Still, my surgeon said it would be like this - so I try to think that when I feel zonked it's my body's way of telling me that it's ready to get on with some healing whilst I rest.
But why when I was in hospital did I look rosy & healthy & now I'm a horrible sallow yuk colour, even after sleeping??
 
@doopy How wonderful it must have felt to get out for lunch! And yes, a nap after is probably needed at this stage. I went out to my meditation group this morning--drove myself and a friend to another friend's house, sat around for 1.5 hours, drove home--chatting and meditating shouldn't take a lot of energy but I was pooped when I got home.
 
@Miss Muffet The op hip (left) is feeling great on the cane and off--occasional twinges and stiffness but mostly pain free to very minimal pain. The thing that's holding me back is my arthritic right knee--it's been bothering me the past couple of days when I go for walk. In the past I've worn an elastic support on that knee when I go for a walk and that seems to help but I haven't done so recently b/c of concerns about circulation and blood clots post op. I'll ask at my follow up appt on Wednesday if it's OK to start doing that again and I might start back on my Celebrex--had hoped to be done with that but might need it for the knee. I'm also still feeling some LLD and feel like that is contributing to the knee pain. And because of precautions I've been doing the golfer's reach, which is basically a lunge, to pick things up from low places and that also stresses the right knee. All things to be discussed with the PA on Wednesday.
 
@gertie, I too am trying the golfer's lunge when absolutely desperate, but think I'll now be addicted to my grabbers for life!! Sooo much easier than bending, even before OA! Have you got one (or 3)? Some famous TV type said you know you are ageing when you bend down to get something and then look around for anything else that needs doing whilst you're down there!
But I bet meeting friends and spending time meditating did you a world of good!
 
@doopy Grabbers are my best friend--I have 3 and used them a lot pre op as well--one in the bedroom, one in the kitchen, and one near the washer/dryer. But there are some things that just need to be picked up by hand.
 
@gertie So that is why I have someone else pick up the kitty cats and put them in my arms! Sounds like everyone is in healing mode and doing well. Everyone has their own problems that come up and cause a pause in recovery.
I read where you had a bad tummy from meds. I also have had a problem with a bad stomach as in feels like an ulcer. Stopped drinking carbonated drinks, coffee, milk and going bland with small meals and taking my slippery elm to coat the stomach. Stopped taking one tab,325 mg of aspirin after 3 weeks. The Dr. ordered 325 mg 2 times a
Day but Knowing my body I only ever took One tab a day. Will discuss this with OS next week. Left hip still feels like it needs more recovery time. I do notice improvement but it is a slow process this time around. Had to laugh about losing the cane. I do that too!
 
@SwimGirl I wondered if my funky tummy was a final rebellion against that aspirin regimen--or maybe it was just a bug since I feel fine now. Sorry to hear that yours is still rebelling!
 
@gertie - slightly green that you can get out and driving so soon. That flash of independence and the ability to mix socially means a lot. Am personally longing for that stage again, though I did feel ever so slightly anxious at first. I suspect you're right that your knee is grumbling about having to be on support duty, and I suspect the golfer's reach would be adding extra pressure, so definitely worth bringing up at your appointment. Tummywise I am prescribed a stomach protector and have been taking a probiotic drink every day. We never know if these things make a difference but I used them as a precaution and, apart from occasional indigestion, have been ok.
I absolutely love my grabbers - before surgery, during recovery and beyond! I'm a shortie and it has saved me hailing my much taller hubby whenever I cannot reach things. Am actually amazed at quite how effective they are at picking up even tiny things, including a pill which dropped behind my dressing table one morning. Now that impressed me!
 
Yes! I used mine to pick up a dropped postage stamp which I needed urgently & the grabber worked brilliantly!
I too have been prescribed a stomach protector whilst I'm on the ibuprofen (NSAID) & it's worked very well, especially as I often have ulcer-type problems usually. Must try a probiotic too!
 
@Miss Muffet Yes, driving myself places is a treat although I'm not going far--the car just isn't that comfortable. Thankfully I have an automatic or I'd still be sidelined. This car is my first automatic and I got it when I was recovering from my ankle injury several years ago and could no longer manage the clutch.

Today's adventure will be a trip to the grocery store--I'm making a list! I was indeed anxious on my first trip--surprising since I've been driving since I was 16--but it felt very odd being back in the driver's seat.

@doopy Grabber magic! My only defeat was once when I dropped my iPad. Now if it were just possible to use the grabber to load and unload the dishwasher...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy to hear you now have the keys to your wheels again! Independence!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom