Bilateral TKR Suzzee 2000's race to a new life.....

I am so happy things are going so well with you! 0 extension? That is amazing. That is my biggest problem. My PT wishes they had measured before surgery because I think my extension is better now than before...but it is FAR from zero...lol it was 10 last week. Hugs hugs and more hugs! xoxoxo
 
So glad to hear things are going well for you. Keep on napping!!!!! I told my husband it was a good thing that I actually LIKE my bed....I am a morning lounger......he could never do this. He needs to be out of bed with the birds!!!!
 
Just checking on you! Sounds like you are doing great. Counting down my days ..8 more to go! Don't do too much.:spin:
 
I am so happy things are going so well with you! 0 extension? That is amazing.
Thanks @Karringtyn I killed myself to get that and didn't really realize I was doing it and making everything work correctly! I really didn't I just knew the Pt in the hospital had the "evil" eye :heehee: I told her that the day I left and she just :heehee:....they told me some things I will share later in this post.

Keep on napping!
I have been ALL DAY~~~ After I took the longest walk since March 9th :)....I was SO TIRED!!! And it's been so weird to sleep and doze and nap this many days.!

8 more to go! Don't do too much
I know you are getting excited @waitingtogarden I remember being in your shoes and I am very thankful for the recovery thus far. I have been a crybaby now and again.....I have started talking about something when it wasn't even related to my conversation:snork: I know that's the medicine but it feels so weird! And I am doing every thing they are telling me and I know you will too!!!:friends:
 
I would like to share some things about my recovery that may help some of you who are getting ready to have yours. After reading lots of recovery stories, listening and talking with my PT's I 've learned some things that I hadn't thought of that I want to share. My Physical Therapy has NOT been anything like I expected. I thought they were really going to hurt me but not one has. I had 2 in the hospital....1 that came in from Cincinnati the 1st Saturday I was in the Rehab facility. 1 that Sunday and 2 since I have been here. That makes a total of 6 PT's...They have all told me I have done better than any patient they have ever had because I pushed myself to the limit and sometimes a little beyond. I was surprised they said that but I know I have done with my PT!!! I did not suffer in silence:heehee: but was told by the 1st 2 PT's at the hospital that I did my physical therapy with "sound effects":heehee::heehee: and I did!! I would yell and go :gaah:then:groan:and I would pull harder to bend my leg or I would put my CPM machine a notch or two higher than they asked me...Maybe they felt sorry for me I don't know but they never ONCE pushed me beyond what I was capable of. I also have great upper body strength and would jerk myself around to pull myself up to the top of the bed for them or the nurses and then go :gaah:....10 days later I am still doing good.....baby steps but good none the less. My PT's here are the Rehabilitation Center have told me I am doing all the rehab myself and they don't need to do anything except guide me through each process!!! For this I am very thankful. The PT that came in from Cincinnati to see me Saturday told me that people who do the best with rehab are the ones who push themselves in the beginning and have good range of motion, which helps them in the long run have better quality of life. ...Whether that is true or not I do not know it is just one PT's opinion based on what he has seen in his practice.

I do know this I have terrible days as well as good ones. I haveWhen I first started using my walker I would go :gaah: and slam it down with each step! I have cried:boohoo: and have :hairpulling: and I have not felt well. This has been a very hard recovery so far but I have tried the best I can to stay upbeat and positive through it all! I ran a low grade fever over the allergic reaction to my bandage but feel so much better tonight!
I am able to stand up by myself without help and are now allowed to go to the bathroom alone. I walked down the hallway ...was worn out so I slept away the rest of the afternoon away....but I would do this all over again because I can FEEL the difference in my knees. The OLD knee arthritic pain is gone FOREVER and now the pain is surgical which is getting better day by day...now welcome to the new BTKR bionic knees!!! :beer: which do hurt but a different kind of hurt~! A good hurt not the kind that I knew would never go away!!!!
I really don't know what I would have done without all of you and especially those of you who have encouraged me to no end and all the other moderators as well as so many more that I wish I could remember how to spell! TO ALL OF YOU THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR STORIES AND SUPPORT!!!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @suzzee2000 you are doing so brilliantly. I am so proud of how you are getting through this. I wish you the speediest recovery ever!

I just woke up really hungry. Went downstairs got a fast free banana custard yogurt, added three level tablespoons of sugar free muesli left it to soak in a bit. Made a cup of tea. I've just fetched it up here and that yogurt mmmmmhmmmmm was divine x x x x

That physio has done me good. I'm sitting with my op leg flat on the bed and I can actually feel the back of the knee touching the mattress. Thank goodness progress!!! At last!!!!!

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxo big hug for you!
 
Suzzee, your description of your PT and rehab and ups and downs and positive attitude are all very inspiring. We all go into this surgery with what we know - or think we know - but, as you've described, the reality for each of us is different. I'd love to hear as much as you can tell us about the little surprises, good and bad. Because you are living your recovery, right now, and I'm impressed with your good grace.
 
I just woke up really hungry. Went downstairs got a fast free banana custard yogurt, added three level tablespoons of sugar free muesli left it to soak in a bit. Made a cup of tea. I've just fetched it up here and that yogurt mmmmmhmmmmm was divine x x x x
I have never eaten that before but I am getting hungry thanks to your post!!!!:heehee: Seriously tho it does sound divine!!! :)

Thank goodness progress!!! At last!!!!!
You deserve to have that good progress! Everyone deserves to have at least one to help! GLAD YOU ARE DOING SO GOOD NANA!!!!:friends:


but, as you've described, the reality for each of us is different. I'd love to hear as much as you can tell us about the little surprises, good and bad. Because you are living your recovery, right now, and I'm impressed with your good grace.
Thanks BigBend!!! I know it's so so true about the reality of our recovery journey! For instance just this morning I woke up at 4:30 had to hit the bathroom and when I got back bed, I just started crying....no reason really just couldn't help it. :cry: My nurse walked in and asked if I was ok I said yes I'm starting a pity party and I'm not sure why!! She said it's part of the process of healing.....I will take that.
Not all my aides have been top notch but all in all so far so good!!! Today is shower day and HOPEFULLY I will get to walk up the steps they have in the rehab center. I won't go upstairs to my daughters room but I do have one step to get inside my home so I will have to be able to walk up those steps before I am released to go home!
 
You seem to having a great time at rehab! It's getting real around here. Have the recliner area almost set up. I decided I need some baskets to organize the stuff on my table...one for snacks, one for TV remote, DVD remote, etc., things like that. I have some work to do in the bedroom. Found a small elec cooler we used for traveling and I want to set that up in the bedroom for drinks and my lunch. Kitchen is a bit far for the first couple of days. Any more advice???
 
Suzzee! So good to hear you are seeing the difference between the HEALING PAIN and the BONE ON BONE PAIN. Just remember that on those days you question the surgery... and know that in 10 months you will feel as good as new( how I feel today!:)) Do not worry about the steps at your home... I did two flights after two days in the hospital... you will be fine... just DO THEM. Get up those darn stairs! It may be uncomfortable.. but it gets easier each time. After all the days of healing you have had in rehab, you can do them! Do not baby yourself or tell yourself it will be too hard... Nothing is too hard after what we went through! You are a trooper and it shows! Best to you!:yay: Joan:dancy:
 
@waitingtogarden , I don't know yet if this is good advice, but I intend to have a cooler in my bathtub with bags of ice in it. I'm not getting a cryocuff/ice machine but I want a continual ice source. Since my tub is near my bedroom, I think I'll be able to keep some of my ice packs cold and use the cubes to fill some of the packs designed to work with cubes, for use during the night. I'll keep my kitchen freezer with ice packs for day time. At least that's my plan!:heehee:
 
I am using an ice machine but I do have some back up ice bags in the freezer. So tired of getting ready! 7 more days and predicting we could get significant snow Tuesday/Wednesday. So not happy. Not written in stone just one of those "it just may happen".
 
Hi @suzzee2000 - just been having a catch up with some threads as I have been a bit self-possessed the last few days. Now I have seen my OS and know what has happened and that I just have to get the bend going all over again from scratch, I am not happy, but I know what I have to do.
As for you - you are so fantastic! Well done! I am hideously jealous about the bend in your knees - you must have worked so hard. Won't be long and you will be bending like a bendy thing and able to paint your toenails, like I did the other week. Mine will just have to suffer until I get that bend back and I can deal with them again :sad:

Think you and the other BTK's are amazing - and delighted that everything is going so well for you.
X
 
Do not baby yourself or tell yourself it will be too hard... Nothing is too hard after what we went through!
I WILL NOT BABY MYSELF!!! :dancy:I PROMISE!!!! AND, AMEN :angel:IT IS TOOOO Hard after what we went through!!!!

You seem to having a great time at rehab! It's getting real around here. Have the recliner area almost set up. I decided I need some baskets to organize the stuff on my table...one for snacks, one for TV remote, DVD remote, etc., things like that. I have some work to do in the bedroom. Found a small elec cooler we used for traveling and I want to set that up in the bedroom for drinks and my lunch. Kitchen is a bit far for the first couple of days. Any more advice???
@waitingtogarden I really am having so much fun! I love my 82 yr old room-mate! I have met some fantastic people and have had my family visiting daily is good !!! :):):) You sound like you are really getting things together and that idea of the electric cooler is THE BOMB!!!! I didn't do that but I'm gonna have someone fix that for me when I get home!!!!! You are doing fantastic and if I think of anything else I will let you know!!!! I'm getting so excited for you too!!!! I'm going to be watching you and encouraging you as we travel this recovery journey together!!!! :friends:

Do not worry about the steps at your home... I did two flights after two days in the hospital... you will be fine... just DO THEM. Get up those darn stairs!

your doing great speak soon xx

I don't know yet if this is good advice, but I intend to have a cooler in my bathtub with bags of ice in it. I'm not getting a cryocuff/ice machine but I want a continual ice source. Since my tub is near my bedroom,
@BigBend NOW THAT's WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!! :yes!:Fantastic Idea!!!!!!:yes!: I have a huge bathroom right off my bedroom! I will have my husband set me up!!!!

we could get significant snow Tuesday/Wednesday.
:snow dig: No I don't need ANY MORE EITHER!!!!!!


Now I have seen my OS and know what has happened and that I just have to get the bend going all over again from scratch, I am not happy, but I know what I have to do.
As for you - you are so fantastic! Well done! I am hideously jealous about the bend in your knees - you must have worked so hard. Won't be long and you will be bending like a bendy thing and able to paint your toenails, like I did the other week. Mine will just have to suffer until I get that bend back and I can deal with them again
@dogwheels .........AWWWWWWW:console2:I am so sorry you have had this set back!! I'm so glad it is TEMPORARY!!! And you WILL do it and recover perfectly!!! I did work like a dog that is t he truth! Because I read too much and realized I wanted this more than anything!!! Remember I have 4 small children depending on my giving them a new life!!! :)
Now, that you mention it, I can't wait to bend my knees to paint my toe nails:yahoo: It's been so long I can't remember the last time I did!!!
Well off for the CPM and then back to reading all of the incredible stories here!!!!:thumb:
 
Sounds like you're doing just great!
 
I haven't been writing much but have been reading. I'm so glad you're hanging in there @suzzee2000 and that rehab isn't too bad :) It's great that you are close to home so family can come by easily. I know those kiddos mean a great deal to you and you are doing the best thing for their future by taking care of you now. (isn't it wonderful how strangers like me can give you advice!!!) Your progress sounds goods. I love your positive outlook. You are an inspiration to me :) I hope you have a wonderful day!
 
Hey Suzy , you are doing great ! Keep it up . I know its not a piece of cake but as you know if you follow the mantras it certainly makes it less painful and bearable. You have alot of friends here that are pre op which is great. !! You are showing them that its doable and you are a wealth of information for them . Way to go !! Plus your positive disposition is great . Just abit of caution . It is rollercoaster with lots of ups and downs. Obviously everyone's up and downs are different . One size does not fit all . We are here for you during both !!. So do you have an idea of when you go home ? And if you can , describe how you have your house set up for your recovery as it can help the pre ops and we might be able to make a suggestion or two . As you recall I thought I had my living room set up ! , till I got home on day 2. I had to make reconfigurations some 55 hours after my surgery. So I do have history of ODIC. Last 2 days nothing but elevation and ice , even heatpad in the mornings to loosen things up . By the way, what kind of meds are you taking and how often. I think pre op might benefit as well , so that they have an idea. I was given upon my release from hospital enough meds for quite awhile and it got overwhelming because of the frequency and times of different meds. Thats why I suggest a free phone app to assist with the meds . Ok Suzy. Relax and drink lots of water.
 
Back
Top Bottom