Bilateral TKR Suzzee 2000's race to a new life.....

is rollercoaster with lots of ups and downs. Obviously everyone's up and downs are different . One size does not fit all . We are here for you during both !!.

How true Ice!! and thanks....Today was one of those down days. Not sure why but woke up feeling blue!!! :shrug:I have stayed this way all day and am tired too!! :sigh:

So do you have an idea of when you go home ? And if you can , describe how you have your house set up for your recovery as it can help the pre ops and we might be able to make a suggestion or two .
I think I will be going home by Friday the 28th, My house used to house a handicapped child so there are many things that make is quite easy for me. Like a ramp to the front porch. The bathroom is big and roomy and I took the rugs out before my hospital trip. My bedroom is attached to that bathroom and has the washer and dryer which will make things easy too. I have my bedroom set up as my main hub. I have telephone, TV, place for CPM machine, all electric outlets ready for High Speed and all cords to all my a container with 5 drawers stacked full of things I might need. :umm:I am getting a raised up commode, shower bench and walker.....

By the way, what kind of meds are you taking and how often.
I am on oxycodone (SP??) every 4 hours so far so good:ok:
.
Ok Suzy. Relax and drink lots of water.

Ok @icep707 THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! I am relaxing with a big 32 quart thermal complete with lid and straw that the rehab center supplies....it is kept full 24/7 which makes it nice ..... :):)

haven't been writing much but have been reading.

@Derby I have really been concerned about you friend! I haven't heard from you and I have worried about how you have been getting along in your recovery!!! Let us know so we can follow along and encourage you!!:friends:
 
I agree; one's emotions are up and down like a Saturn V*.

t is rollercoaster with lots of ups and downs. Obviously everyone's up and downs are different .
This is a roller coaster ride of sorts----just do not try to figure out why your knee(s) are not cooperating or why your emotions are all tangled up.

Strap yourself into the ride and understand that someday you will reach the end of the ride---these ups and downs will become fewer in number and less drastic---but at the end of the ride, you will be fully recovered!
 
Strap yourself into the ride and understand that someday you will reach the end of the ride---these ups and downs will become fewer in number and less drastic---but at the end of the ride, you will be fully recovered!
:)
Thanks @referee54 You always have the right things to say......
 
Medication will make you feel all kinds of different ways, Just know that its very normal . I had some mighty weird dreams early on . They were very vivid . Sounds like you got the house down pat . One thing I still dont have that I still want Is a long handled spongy shower thing. I think my hardest days were the first week or so . It does get easier but I got to think its much more difficult on bilaterals. You have been super courageous. Bye for now .
 
One thing I still dont have that I still want Is a long handled spongy shower thing.
I need one of those :iagree: too!!!!


Medication will make you feel all kinds of different ways, Just know that its very normal . I had some mighty weird dreams early on . They were very vivid

:shocked:I have been having those weird dreams too which makes me NOT want to sleep!!:shocked: Thanks for the reminder that it is normal!!
 
hi @suzzee2000, Congratulations and welcome to the other side. Hoe you are feeling well and not having to deal with pain. Glad to see you are in the social room. You are great at the Limericks and I am glad you feel up to it. Take good care of yourself, plenty of rest. Take good care of yourself. Lots of days ahead and PT to contend with and healing
 
hang in there Suzzee... it just gets better and better! A few bumps in the road along the way as with any healing journey. Keep the faith!:egypdance:
 
You go home the same day as my surgery! At least I will remember. You seem to be all set up to get there. I am clueless as to whether I will prefer the bed or the recliner. I think it will be bed first. We shall see.

You are doing great in your recover, roller coaster and all. Have a wonderful week. I know you will enjoy going home.:egypdance::flwrysmile:
 
Had a fantastic day today!! PT said my active. ROM is 115 Left and. 115 Right
Flex is @-3 Left & -4 Right
Said it was Fabulous...some days I feel so down
Some days so weepy
Some days so happy
And the moods just keep changing. The only thing that isnt changing is my feeling of being completely wiped out....All in all I'm very happy with my recovery process and I hope I can help some of you along the way....

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You are really coming along! Good for you :) My ROM isn't that good. I am not good about pushing myself. I have to call tomorrow about setting up outpatient p.t. Hopefully that will get me motivated.

I go from weepy to happy within a day and back again!
 
Suzzee, I can't believe how terrific your ROM is for so early on! I'm sure you know, but flex is much easier to gain throughout recovery but extension is more of a challenge, so it's great that you're almost to zero already! Yes, I don't miss the seemingly constant mood swings and spontaneous bouts of crying and feeling sorry for myself. Don't get me wrong, they're still there, but at least less frequent. You have such a positive outlook; that will help immensely, but just know that the roller coaster of emotions is part of the goody bag of recovery. Nothing you can do about it other than to know that it will get better! Keep up the great work!!
 
Here it is almost 3:00 am Monday morning and here I sit looking at Bonesmart and wishing we could set up a chat and talk to eachother:yes!:! I am thinking of being in this Rehabilitation Center, my family, my mood and a paper that is due Monday night midnight that I don't want to do!! Every time I start trying to read the book I :thud: fall asleep! IT's SO ANNOYING!!!

First of all THANK YOU for stopping by and posting on my thread!!
I appreciate it very very much!!!
:thankyou::friends:


Anyway @Derby mentioned something about clothing shoes and spring...Anyone have any of their favorite websites you want to share? I can NOT wear any of my shoes that I used to wear because of my walking so crooked and with my feet changing and etc......I have a pair of Orthotics that my surgeon said I should keep IN CASE I need to use them. I am praying as the years go by I don't need any orthopedics at all! I just wanna buy a couple of good pair and just wear them out.

Suzzee, I can't believe how terrific your ROM is for so early on! I'm sure you know, but flex is much easier to gain throughout recovery but extension is more of a challenge, so it's great that you're almost to zero already!

Thank YOU Dogloverx3 NO I did not know that until yesterday, while working with my PT. I am really really thankful for how good it is!!!! She is such a great therapist!! Makes it so much better after reading the horror stories some people have concerning theirs! :what:

ust know that the roller coaster of emotions is part of the goody bag of recovery. Nothing you can do about it other than to know that it will get better! Keep up the great work!!
I know it is.... but it feels so weird!! :yes::yes:

My ROM isn't that good. I am not good about pushing myself. I have to call tomorrow about setting up outpatient p.t. Hopefully that will get me motivated. [/quote
:console2: Try your best Derby...Look at it as an investment in you and in your future! I know it's very hard Derby but always do the very best you can. It doesn't matter what the numbers are as long as you know you did your very best!!!!! And prayerfully your setting up for outpatient PT will do the trick for you friend! :friends:


I go from weepy to happy within a day and back again!
I know Derby I am doing the same thing....:sigh:Lots of people say it's just part of our recovery......
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Suzzee!!!!
Well I finally was able to read your thread early this morning, but feel asleep before responding. It's funny how it kind of creeps up on you without realizing it. Saturday I fell asleep on the recumbent bicycle. Lucky for me my wife woke me up. I have read your thread with great interest. From the looks of the schedule today, I have about 3 1/2 hours of therapy. One of them has me intrigued, it's the E3 standing group. I'm sure just standing is a challenge at this point. Sound like all your hard work will pay off for you. Good luck today. I'll be back when I can. tom
 
@suzzee2000 Your message to me really got me thinking. You're so right; it's all about doing your best. I really appreciate that and needed to hear that. I am ashamed to admit that I haven't been doing my best. I have been a big blog lying on the couch for almost three weeks expecting it all to work out. That has to stop today. I won't worry about the numbers but about doing my best. Thank you :)
 
Suzzee! Hope you have a good day today!:) I remember those nights where this website was my Godsend! I could not sleep more than an hour at a time, and I would come and chat with whoever was on board. Thank goodness for the iPad! I never would have made recovery without it!! Sleep is so precious to me now that I KNOW what it is like to not be able to sleep.... I cut out any caffeine in the afternoon, evening and drink only Chamomile tea that I brew up each day rather than the diet soda pop I use to drink. I sleep well now at 10 months out, but, the first 7 months I was not sleeping at all. The surgery, drugs and such upset the body rhythms so much! Take care my friend and wishing you peace and healing today. Joan
 
Awesome on your numbers. I learned awhile ago for me I can't focus on my numbers because my knee was FAR worse BEFORE surgery but I don't know those numbers...but what matters is the here and now and those numbers are better!! :)

How is the pain level? Are you home now? I know I should know this...but I can't remember....brain is foggy today.

I hope you have a great day...xxx
 
Hi @suzzee2000 - just dropping in to let you know that I am thinking of you and hoping that today is being one of the 'even better than good' days.
Do, do, do get the long handled squidgy sponge on a stick, that @icep707 mentioned. I bought every gadget and gizmo going (most still unused) but I didn't buy that, cos I didn't think I needed it. Wrong!! I have managed without, but it certainly would have been handy ...... especially as my ensuite shower is not big enough to bend down easily and also it would have been useful to scrub the whiffy pong of chlorine from below my knee after being in the hydro pool.
Somebody posted that you were still in touch with lots of pre-ops on here. If you still are, I clean forgot to post my very best pre-op tip, so you may be able to pass it on. If not it will amuse you ..........
A few days before I went in for the op, I went to the beauty stand in the department store where I buy my skincare products. I bought one small item and then with a sad and woebegone face asked the assistant if she had any samples of my usual products as I was going into hospital. Of course curiosity got the better of her and she asked me what I was having done and how long I would be in for. I told her the 'no holds barred feel sorry for me' version. Result! I walked away with 5 days worth of serum, cream and night balm, and the sample sizes were so generous, I only ended up using 1 lot while I was in hospital. Tee hee ............ the rest will come in very handy when I am ready for a holiday!
Take care
ChrisX
 
Well I finally was able to read your thread early this morning, but feel asleep before responding. It's funny how it kind of creeps up on you without realizing it. Saturday I fell asleep on the recumbent bicycle. Lucky for me my wife woke me up.
Yes @Tomel I get it!! I get the fact that I have done that too thankfully my falling asleep has been reserved to the chair and the bed!! How is everything friend?? Hope recovery is going Good for you!!!!!!:)

@suzzee2000 Your message to me really got me thinking. You're so right; it's all about doing your best. I really appreciate that and needed to hear that. I am ashamed to admit that I haven't been doing my best.
Awwwwwwww @Derby :console2:I am sorry you are having such a tough time!!!! But,.... I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! If I can I know you can!!! Lets just keep on keeping on doing our very best!!! :friends:

Sleep is so precious to me now that I KNOW what it is like to not be able to sleep.... I cut out any caffeine in the afternoon, evening and drink only Chamomile tea that I brew up each day rather than the diet soda pop I use to drink.
Thank you @gazelle7777 for your idea!!! I can't wait for the day to get some restful :sleep::sleep: Any other good tips you wanna pass along? :)

How is the pain level? Are you home now? I know I should know this...but I can't remember....brain is foggy today.
Hi @Karringtyn Glad things are going well for you and I understand about the brain fog......It's almost embarrassing..... the things that I blurt out!!!! :heehee:My pain levels are very low probably a 3 without my meds... for the day which this is the 2nd time this rehabilitation center has " run out" of mine....:whistle: so I here I sit working on a paper for a midnight deadline for College and sneaking around my most favorite forum of great people to see how things are going!!! I will go home on Friday the 28th. I know I can go tomorrow or Wed but I decided to take advantage of the whole two weeks of being waited on hand and foot....having my sweet husband home taking care of the four kids and the house and the cooking and the animals and etc etc etc.........soooooo I am going home on Friday! :yahoo: I'm so excited!!! Maybe this sounds weird but my PT doesn't even think I need in home therapy because I am kicking my own butt with it and will continue on...on my own!!! I have an appt with my OS on April 2nd which is a week away then I will see if I am able to go on to rehab at the hospital or where ever he wants me to.

Do, do, do get the long handled squidgy sponge on a stick, that @icep707 mentioned.

OK I WILL!!!!!

Somebody posted that you were still in touch with lots of pre-ops on here. If you still are, I clean forgot to post my very best pre-op tip, so you may be able to pass it on. If not it will amuse you ..........
A few days before I went in for the op, I went to the beauty stand in the department store where I buy my skincare products. I bought one small item and then with a sad and woebegone face asked the assistant if she had any samples of my usual products as I was going into hospital. Of course curiosity got the better of her and she asked me what I was having done and how long I would be in for. I told her the 'no holds barred feel sorry for me' version. Result! I walked away with 5 days worth of serum, cream and night balm, and the sample sizes were so generous, I only ended up using 1 lot while I was in hospital. Tee hee ............ the rest will come in very handy when I am ready for a holiday!

Chris WHY DIDN'T I think of that????? :snork:That's a funny story!!!!:snork: BUT.....FANTASTIC IDEA!!! I will be sure to pass it on in pre op posts:ok:!!! Yes I do try to encourage those who are pre-op because I remember being sooooooo afraid too! I want to help ease the nervousness if possible!! :thumb: Thanks for stopping by
@dogwheels :friends:
 
Back
Top Bottom