THR SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey

Update
Just got back from a lovely holiday in France. The leki stick stayed in the car... I manged to walk up a few hills, took paracetemol to avoid stiffness and had lovely hot baths when I could. Managed creaky stairs in old hotels without a problem and getting in and out of baths.
Almost all the stiffness I was moaning about now resolved. Scar still looks rather red 8 months on so guess there is still some healing to do. using body lotion and scar oil helping.. Most of the beds I slept in were really comfortable but, after one nights sleep back at home, one of my toes is back to looking arthritic and painful and stiffness in upper leg this morning. I am going to look into a thick mattress topper before investing in a new mattress but I think that is in my future..

Hope everyone is doing well!
 
@SurreyGirl after having 2 months of sleep misery after my first THR I bought a new mattress. I am now almost 2 weeks past THR #2 and I can’t believe the difference a good mattress makes. Sleeping well! I hope you do too.
 
Happy Eight Month Anniversary, Surrey Girl!
Nice to read you enjoyed your time in France. I hope you have a wonderful Spring!
@SurreyGirl
 
Thank you Layla….

Stiffness still there but I can sleep on my side much better now.

I still use the Leki for walking long distances or when carrying something heavy on my back but all good.

Have started regular aqua aerobics and Poolates both of which are helping. I’m rubbish at Poolates and got told off for laughing at the back of the class as I was spoiling the Zen feel but it was fun. I ached the next day but the limbs are loosening up nicely. Only casualty was my big toenail that half detached itself during Aquazumba. Yuk!

Next biggest challenge will be retirement end of July. I have very mixed feelings about this but am investigating other classes at the Club - a sort of “sport of the month” to try and find out what suits me and then attend on a regular basis.

I might finally try my hand at writing properly as I always enjoy it.

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement over the years and the Next Big Step awaits (pun intended)!
 
All my best on upcoming retirement. Everyday is Saturday! LOL!
My partner & I say we wonder how we found time to work before retirement because the days fly by.
We all need a little hobby (or grandkids) in our case.
Volunteer work as well as just working on your own health is an excellent endeavor.
I volunteer at a dog rescue & love it.
I also dog sit & get paid for that so a little extra cash never hurt.
I enjoy the pool as well, makes your whole body feel good & my son has salt water pool & I think salt is so good to absorb into your skin. Takes away the little aches & pains we can't avoid.
Sounds like overall you are coming right along, some stiffness hits me early in AM but works itself out. That's another benefit of getting in pool.
Stay well.
 
I hope this isn't farewell for good. I wish you all the best in your retirement. With two new hips, the possibilities of fun filled activity is endless. :wink: Enjoy!
@SurreyGirl
 
Thanks everyone! I am very busy workwise up to my retirement including writing up a proper handover.
Any more tips ala GlassHalfFull re enjoying a retirement having been a workoholic very welcome!

I am still having a few issues with the scar even after 9 months.. - it gets a bit achy and stingy after Aqua and the top of the thigh is still stiff but all manageable. I use biooil on the scar after showering and really massage it in. I still do stretches and heel pumps when I wake up in the morning and this helps my pesky arthritic toe which is now more of a nuisance than either hip.

Many milestones met including putting on my socks, getting in and out of the bath without thinking about it and attempting poolates which I find hard but rewarding. Onwards!
 
Greetings from the Sunny West Indies!

Harry and Hermione hip twins went sailing on a hobie cat yesterday without any problems once I found a comfortable position from which to help. Crossing the boat took time and care so my friends balanced the boat.

I went to the Wi v Afghanistan match yesterday and a tremendous atmosphere. Every jumping up and dancing when WI got 6s and I was jumping with the rest of them!

6 of us raided our hotel fridges and had an Afterparty until 2am. Bleurgh!

England v WI on Wednesday and cannot wait. Seat cushion, rum and airhorn at the ready.

Hip still not quite right at night and I still have the pillow between my legs to help. Scar itching occasionally so packed my biooil…which helps .

But still seeing progress 10 months out.

Hot humid weather (sorry UK) is definitely making me feel much better and my Leki has stayed in its suitcase so far…
 
A packed stadium. I could not have done this six months ago
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey
    D987A0E1-B5C9-4B2D-97AC-4F6D73DCCC6C.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 45
And calm at breakfast!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey
    774E8798-1308-4F7A-9177-B7F76AE70BE1.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 46
Fun! Always love hearing your adventures! I think I prefer the breakfast view. Have fun at the game!
 
Lots of chats with older ladies around the pool ee how they are managing retirement. Met a kindred spirit who also retired from her Uni job after 10 years and quite a reassuring chat. Just over one month for me to go now. Still doing work emails with a 5 hour time difference. Sadly a lovely man due to lecture for me in 2 weeks has died unexpectedly. I had known him for over 20 years and he will be much missed.

First thunderstorm of the trip so an enforced rest day playing scrabble and Pass the Pigs with fellow guests.
 
Have fun SurreyGirl! Happy to read you're doing so well and enjoying life. I'm sure given more time any night struggles you're having in an effort to get comfortable will ease also.
Stay safe and enjoy!
@SurreyGirl
 
Pass the Pigs? :scratch:
 
Ps. The whole island is cricket max and that includes the American guests as their team did quite well.
 
Pass the Pigs? :scratch:
It is a game where one tosses little rubber pigs and you are scored by the position they end up in. You can choose to keep tossing and adding points but if the pigs land sideways with one black spot upwards and the other pig with no spot upwards you lose All the points in that round so you have to gamble your chances of a lucky run.

It is great fun to play for families and friends. If the pigs land touching you are out of the game. This has caused friendly disputes including cameras and credi cards to ascertain if a gap exists or not. We meet our friends once a year for the annual Pass the Pigs match!
 
Scoring sheet
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey
    35C9F5D3-7515-4941-B384-B849C26FA577.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 38
Well the holiday ended with quite an adventure.
Some doubt about where hurricane Beryl would land. Our scheduled flight left earlier than planned.
Back to work and straight into two weeks of running courses. So eating lunches during the day and a light meal at night.
I eat half the desserts provided.

Once I retire I will try to do more exercise to help the hips and lose some more weight.

Nee hip still a bit stiff but walking a bit better. Think I need new sneakers as after a year mine have gone a bit soft.
Hope everyone is doing well!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom