THR SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey

Just catching up with all your adventures.
Sounds like it's going quite well.
 
It sounds like you hit the ground running after your holiday! I still have a few weeks left before our school year starts. I am trying to put good routines in place now. I am hoping to finally get back in the pool. I need a new pair of work sandals now and will need some for when the weather starts turning cooler. Good luck finding sneakers!
 
Hope you found a good pair @Hippie Chick

So! I retire from the Uni on 31st July. Have taken VS so have a years salary in the bank plus taking my Uni pension early….

Since my holiday I have been working non-stop on my courses and doing a handover to someone who has now said it is all too much. So she won’t be doing the job after all. Their latest bright idea is to split my job between three people!

My Lecturers took me out to dinner and I have had quite a few lunches over the past week with Uni friends. Great family wedding last weekend and I danced. Lovely atmosphere and I didn’t use my stick once :-)

“Harry the Hip” is now Amost most better and his anniversary of installation is 9th August. I still stiffen up when walking. Paracetemol helps but I am
back to sailing hobie cats and now looking into Free Diving so will be booking a course in the next 3 months.

I still sleep with a pillow between my legs, use the shower seat and prop up my back with the wedged shaped pillow so all those aids came in useful.

I still use my Leki if carrying a laptop on my back for balance but most of the time it stays in my car.

Life is improving but will now be very different as finishing work.
I hope “Harry” and I do not get bored!

I am going to take August off and then look at volunteering and possibly some journalling. Plus getting my violin playing back up to standard (poor neighbours)

Hope everyone is continuing well with their recoveries. Thanks again to everyone who pulled me through all this!
 
Last edited:
I am watching sales hoping sandals go cheaper! That will allow me to get two pairs. I am super excited to hear about your upcoming retirement! It sounds like you have been doing the work of two or three people. Hopefully they see what you were accomplishing. Thanks for sharing what you were still using. I have not tried sitting in the floor yet. I have been to water aerobics- yay! I bought swim shoes for the pool deck which helps tremendously. I found out I will be returning to work at twelve weeks instead of eleven. My boss is not going to like that but that’s what my OS put on my paperwork. I am still getting tired so I am not complaining. Please keep us posted on your upcoming adventures!
 
Hi SurreyGirl,
Thanks for sharing all the good news! It's been a pleasure interacting with you over the past six years through both of your THR journeys. You've been a great support to others and I'll never forget some of the stories of the Hotel for Hippies. :heehee:

Congrats on your retirement! I wish you health and happiness as you begin this new chapter in life. I hope you'll still check in on occasion. Stay safe, be well and enjoy the great times to come!
@SurreyGirl
 
Imagine they need 3 people to replace you! Unreal. These companies have no clue how valuable some of their long term employees are. You can't argue with experience.
Enjoy your retirement. You won't get bored, you sound very active & will keep busy.
I found volunteering working with rescue dogs to be so gratifying.
Then my partner is also retired & we have days we spend together & days we go on our own.
Everyday is Saturday! LOL!
Also working on a few projects that keep my hands busy.
Stay well!
 
Hi @SurreyGirl Great to hear that you are making such good progress and that you will retire soon - enjoy!
Hip replacements are wonderful things!
 
Thanks for all your lovely comments.

I retired last Wednesday and immediately signed up for regular aqua aerobics and Poolates. The latter is hard but I can feel the difference in my hip flexors and thigh muscles. I am hopeless and keep getting called out by the instructor for getting it wrong, she means well but I felt like the naughty child in class!

The advantage of this was that the class felt sorry for me and sone bought me coffee afterwards so I am making friends.

This also activated a hilarious discussion re those of us who have big boobs find it difficult to balance in the water due to their flotation effect as opposed to our wafer-thin instructor who has no such issues…

Also relaxing with a coffee afterwards and reading “Cosmopolitan ” for the first time in years I got the giggles re an article about travelling abroad and packing essential ladies “stimulating” items. That magazine hasn’t changed and I was duly “educated”!

But I digress. “Harry and Hermione” are reacting well to all this exercise. And I am going to try a Spin Class next!
 
This also activated a hilarious discussion re those of us who have big boobs find it difficult to balance in the water due to their flotation effect as opposed to our wafer-thin instructor who has no such issues…
Ha ha!
 
Yes, used to love Cosmo in my 20's & 30's...now way past any of those "helpful" articles!
Sounds like you are off to a great retirement!
 
Thank you. My hip is playing up an bit and I notice it is stiff again when side sleeping.

As I went to three acqua classes last week I am wondering if I joined the ODC accidentally! Anniversary of op coming up on 9th August so don’t want to celebrate it the wrong way.

Meeting up today with two ladies in their80s who were my original bosses when I temped at the Uni in 1996! Should be fun.
 
Last edited:
Enjoy your day with good friends.
You are cognizant of hip issues here & there so maybe you overdid a little but at this point in your recovery you know your body best.
I'm sure your anniversary on 9th will be just perfect!
 
And it was! I was reading gloucestergirls account of her recovery and her description of the recovery post one year on is very helpful to me.

I am getting a bit better at Poolates and find I am good at Acqua Zumba . Doing belly dance and Latin moves in the water is hilarious. My hips wriggle better in water than in dry land.

Am seeing friends regularly and need to start practising my violin again as have a show coming up next month. Found out my G String had broken (no sniggering!) so new one and spare ordered.

Although the acqua classes half kill me-there is improvement in my ITB and flexors so it is helping. I am still slow walking though and stiff and have a very impatient husband who doesn’t slow down for me - I so tend to trail behind him like a bedraggled sausage dog.

Thermals ordered from
M and S to counteract the forthcoming cold weather plus a massive supply of Vitamin D and a holiday booked in the warmth. New swimming costume one size down also ordered as an incentive.

Daily activities include reading, stretching, decluttering, catching up with friends and watching some Netflix. I have also finally started writing up some events over the past 10 years based on my holiday diaries. Names will have to be changed!

Looking forward to series 2 of the Diplomat and started watching Kaos which now makes me consider a small break to Greece!

So apologies for the lengthy post but recovery is as much mental as physical it seems!
 
First of all, happy (although belated). one-year anniversary on hip #2. Sorry I missed the celebration!

Doing belly dance and Latin moves in the water is hilarious. My hips wriggle better in water than in dry land.
I love this!

Although the acqua classes half kill me-there is improvement in my ITB and flexors so it is helping.
Isn't it surprising how much more work it is to move in water? Glad to read that the exercise is helping and that you are getting stronger.

Sounds like you are doing well. Please keep updating us regularly!
 
so tend to trail behind him like a bedraggled sausage dog.
:heehee:

"Swimming costume" makes me chuckle too. I love / enjoy the Brit speak on the forum. We call it a swim suit, or bathing suit here in the states, which likely sounds silly to you. :wink:
When I read swim costume I think of something like this -
1725588140197.png

Is that you, SurreyGirl?

A belated Happy One Year Anniversary, Righty!
 
Ok, you have set me a challenge to find a certain picture now!
 
Great pic! You look wonderful.
I love how we can compare our recoveries with another "hippie" here at different intervals.
I had a few folks that had their surgery around same time I did & really enjoyed traveling the recovery road with them.
I remember my one year anniversary & then my 2 year! Time flies!
Have a great day.
 
Back
Top Bottom