THR SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey

I would add anything new you are doing might cause some stiffness & pain later.
Just the same as not going to gym for a month then going & having a great workout but then next day all your muscles hurt.
Doesn't mean you can't do it ,just take your time & be prepared with ice next day!
 
Last week I had a slight scary moment. I was walking to the club from the carpark and suddenly my right hip seized up and was very painful. After sitting down for an hour it was much better and I am thinking of resuming classes this week …

I have no idea what caused it. May have been cramp but lack of movement was a concern. I have since done some gentle walking and stretching and all fine.

This hip was operated on in August 2023.

I do have some arthritis in my lower back.

I am really enjoying my Aqua classes and our Christmas lunch had over 85 members. Lots of nice people and I would hate to give it up.

Any ideas?
 
I am sorry, SurreyGirl. That episode must have frightened you, happening without provocation. The improvement after sitting is good, thankfully. Do you suspect it as a result of over activity? Or exercise that stressed the area?
Resting and avoiding any high impact activity for a few days may be wise. Use ice if you suspect inflammation or heat if it's stiff, along with OTC meds if needed. If it continues to happen, contact your surgeon's office for advice.
Hopefully it was only an isolated incident. Merriest of Christmas wishes to you and yours! :santa-dance:
@SurreyGirl
 
Hi @SurreyGirl :wave:

I remember having similar moments like that and it is very startling! Of course, I am the queen of getting massages so I think when I had moments like that- of locking up or spasming- I took it to mean that I was due for one.
Then was always surprised at how it loosened up everything, when I didn't really realize that I wasn't loose, plus like you mentioned, especially in my lower back and core muscles that are all in and around/attached to our hips.I think your swim classes sound wonderful. I am in Florida for several months and am thinking of joining the community's water aerobics here.
Happy Holidays!! :snow:
 
Thanks @Layla and @CricketHip - both! I cancelled all classes last week and rather nervously went back yesterday to aqua. Fortunately focussed on arms so it was fine. Today was Poolates and just one excercise involving scissoring legs on the side in the water proved impossible. Otherwise fine :)

I’ll be very careful and will look into getting the occasional massage. !

Have a great Christmas x
 
I'm sorry to hear about your recent health scare, SurreyGirl. We had our first hips done about a week apart and I've followed your progress over the years. :)

Given that you have some arthritis in your back maybe that contributed to your pain. You may have twisted in a way that compressed a nerve on that side. Or perhaps you are dealing with tronchanteric bursitis. I had a few similar "seizing up" sensations as well as some other pain in my non-operated hip. I eventually followed up with an orthopedic doctor who said either of those could have caused my pain.

In my case, it was determined to be tronchanteric bursitis, which is treatable with steroid injections as well as specific exercises and NSAIDS, but doesn't necessarily heal quickly. I have an autoimmune disorder so can't take most NSAIDS but can tolerate occasional Celebrex, which has helped. along with the shots, exercise, heat and ice. If it keeps happening you may want to follow up to see what might be the cause. But from what I understand, most likely it isn't your actual replacement. Keep us posted! :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks so much for your comments Debra. They are much appreciated. I’m taking a little time over this and will make an appt with the GP. Back to classes last week and this week and coping fine. Daily walking is still tricky though - gravity does t help :-)
 
An Update!
Thanks for all your kind support.

I have just got back from a holiday in St Lucia and have great news. It has taken two years since my second hip operation and a lot of exercise and hard work which now includes Spinning!

I no longer fear:

Getting up and down high four poster bed! Trivial I know but was still in pain doing this in Jan 25

Managing the 92 steps to and from the beach:
Now fairly easy and I can do twice a day

Getting in and out of Shuttle vans in a steep hillside.
Previously quite a problem. Now easy.

Sitting in low chairs and getting up
I still prefer to use cushions but can now get out if low chairs and sun loungers without yelling - and I still have my beloved MX 5!

And finally
Back to scuba diving after 4 years. I was finally fit enough to do this without tiring or getting cramps. At 65 this “old lady” needs help getting the kit in and off and had to get up “close and personal” with a young 30 year old make divemaster who had been taught by his previous resort not to get close to female guests. All watersports staff were told this!

As I needed my equipment nice and snug to prevent “Wobbling About Underwater”
I gave him full permission to break this rule.

I had a wonderful two dives with him and we had the ocean to ourselves. Finning and breathing came easily. All the aqua classes and swimming and Poolates paid off.

I am writing this to prove that recovery still continues way after the operation and the importance of doing whatever you can to keep moving.
 
[Bonesmart.org] SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey
 
Great update Surrey Girl.
We vacation in Virgin Islands (St John) every winter and nothing quite like a snorkel in that crystal clear water.
Plus I find the salt water to be so healing.
 
I am writing this to prove that recovery still continues way after the operation and the importance of doing whatever you can to keep moving.
Yes! You are proof positive that there is a great life on the other side of this journey.

Thank you for sharing this and enjoy the rest of your summer, @SurreyGirl
 
What a great report! I’m so happy to read about your latest accomplishments. I adore St. Lucia. I’m jealous…..it’s been a while since I’ve been there.
 
So encouraging to hear such a beautiful update! Also impressed with the bed achievement, I also have a challengingly high four poster bed that I'm stubbornly not replacing. I'm really happy for you!
 
Hello old friend! :wave:
So nice to hear from you! What a beautiful photo of you and the backdrop...stunning!
I love your update and all of the positive changes you noted, especially sharing that recovery does not stop just because you hit your first post op anniversary! Thanks so much for stopping by. Make it an annual habit (or more often if you like) it's so nice to hear from old BoneSmart friends. :)
Take good care!
@SurreyGirl
 
What a wonderful update! Your photo and descriptions make me want to travel there. It's a place I have never been. You did such a good job in explaining how much of a process recovering from a replacement is. I think that's especially true for those of us who are a bit older, as there are lots of things going on as part of the natural aging process all over our bodies, and then adding the recovery from a replacement into the mix makes it pretty complex at times. I am now 7 years out from my hip replacement, which was about a week after your first one, so I've been following your progress! I had a torn meniscus in my right knee last year that required surgery, which went well. But I developed tronchanteric bursitis in my left hip as a result of overcompensation as I hobbled around prior to surgery. That hip periodically flares up and settles down when I do a reset, and reminds me of how interrelated all of our body parts really are, and also how fortunate we are to live in a time/place where there are options, like hip replacements, steroid injections, PT, and so many other things that can help us manage pain and improve our quality of life. Kudos to you for how beautifully you have navigated 2 hip replacements! ❤️
 
Hi everyone. Have a lovely Christmas.

I’m still making progress and plan to improve my walking in 2026.

I went to Paris for the first time last month and loved every minute but could not walk more than 15 mins without seizing up. Rather frustrating to say the least.

So my resolution is both to save up for a trip to Paris next year and to improve my walking up at least 30 mins. We shall see!
 
Hi SurreyGirl!
Such a nice surprise to hear from and see you!
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year! Thanks for stopping by to say Hi. :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
@SurreyGirl
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom