TKR Suggestions needed for “tight band” feeling

Your knee is 6 months old. That means it's only 1/2 of the way healed. Swelling and pain after extra activity is normal. A warm knee can also mean inflammation. That's probably why you're seeing swelling and pain. But, it is normal at your stage of healing. If you're concerned call your doctor again that you have pain and swelling after exercising.
 
@sistersinhim: actually, I’m at 8 mos (not that I’m counting, ha, and not that it’s all that better than at 6 mos) but it probably IS time to go back to the dr. Sigh.
 
Whatever it is, your knee isn't healed all the way yet and is letting you know so. Some people even take over a year to heal. It all depends on what its history is and what repairs had to be done during your replacement. That's why every knee is different.
 
@sistersinhim: I agree w/you... it is letting me know quite effectively time to give it the rest it’s demanding :sigh: had hoped by now I would be much better...
 
My first knee required me to pace myself for a long time. It was at least a year before things were "normal." Try to pace yourself a bit more and don't rely on the calendar or other people's glowing reports ;) to tell you where you should be.
I know it's frustrating to have to keep thinking about the knee, but if you listen to the knee now you'll find that gradually you think about it less and less. Hang in there.
 
[HASH=252]#Stiff[/HASH] Knee NC, I know that stiff tight band feeling well. Had that for months before my TKR along with swelling above the knee. Also had it after the surgery till about 2 weeks ago. It was after I started doing stair stretches that I noticed that the stiff feeling was starting to go away. I do them about 3 times a day. I put my left leg up on the 2nd step and lean forward as far as is comfortable, bracing my hands on the steps above me. Count to 30, back off and do it again. Each time, I can go further, and today my shin bone touched the tread of the next step. When I first started, I was at about 100 ROM. Now when I start the stretch, I’m at 120 or more. I haven’t noticed the stiff band feeling this last week at all. Very little swelling, if any. Don’t know if it would work for you, but it’s my suggestion.
 
@_Annie_: Tks for your suggestion! I actually did those stair stretches times per day for weeks and weeks...and even used a timer each time to make sure I did the full 30 seconds! When I really noticed improvement, however, was when I took 7 weeks off from all exercise, per the Bonesmart moderators’ advice! I don’t miss the tight band feeling, which took nearly 7 months to go away (surgery was aug. 2). I'm off exercise again for a couple of weeks, resting, elevating, etc. I gained 10 lbs by not exercising but right now it’s the least of my worries! I’d be curious when your surgery was to see if are on roughly the same timetable. Hope you have a great week ahead :)
 
@kneeper: I really appreciate your encouragement AND the reminder not to compare myself to others’ progress. Because SO many people say it takes a YEAR, I keep thinking, “I’m at 8 mos and I only have 4 more months til I feel normal and have no more stiffness and pain.” I am doubtful that I will be there in 4 months...and then all those worries of “will I ever get better” crop up. But I DO remember thinking, not so long ago, that the tight band feeling would never go away (and it has!!!). I would love to get to a time when I never think of my knee because it never hurts. Fingers crossed!
 
@_Annie_: Tks for your suggestion! I actually did those stair stretches times per day for weeks and weeks...and even used a timer each time to make sure I did the full 30 seconds! When I really noticed improvement, however, was when I took 7 weeks off from all exercise, per the Bonesmart moderators’ advice! I don’t miss the tight band feeling, which took nearly 7 months to go away (surgery was aug. 2). I'm off exercise again for a couple of weeks, resting, elevating, etc. I gained 10 lbs by not exercising but right now it’s the least of my worries! I’d be curious when your surgery was to see if are on roughly the same timetable. Hope you have a great week ahead :)
My surgery was Jan 28, 2020. So I am pretty far behind you. I’m doing really well. I wish my right knee felt as good as the operated knee does. That surgery is scheduled for August.
 
I had bi-lateral knee replacement on 10/16/18 and now over a year later the pain and tightness is still there. Both knees feel like there is nerve damage involved, also both ankles and feet. It is something I am just going to have to live with I guess but I am not a "happy camper".

I was in much worse shape before the surgery so I guess I have a little to be thankful for.
 
@MissViv18: I feel for you. At least you are better than you were BEFORE surgery. (I am not, not even close). And I’ve read a number of posts from people who say, “a year, two or even two and a half years later, I still see improvement.” So don’t give up! I’m not...but I AM discouraged. But I have no alternative than to keep going!! I will be sending up wishes for improvement for you ❤️
 
It's a long haul, but we're here to support you. :)
 
Had my TKR on February 18, 2020. Now five weeks post-op, I do not have pain but do you have a lot of discomfort with that tight band feeling. It is reassuring to know from reading all of your comments that this is normal and will go away with time. Thank you!
 
@Golfer1: yes, that awful tight band feeling WILL lessen and hopefully go away! I’m 8.5 mos out...it took me a good 7 mos for it to dramatically lessen. You will get there!!! And be able to stand for a longer amt of time. For some reason I heal slower than others. I had a “telemedicine” appt today w/my OS...he feels I have, based on swelling, some tightness and pain, tendinitis. Going back on generic Celebrex AND Diclofenac 1% gel, 4 x/day. Hopefully those two things will help! Best of luck in your recovery journey!
 
Good day! Thank you for that timeline on the tight band feeling. Interesting that you also mention being able to stand for longer periods of time. I’m experiencing that now… Seems I’m only standing in the kitchen for 10 or so minutes before my knee says “elevate me!” It has been frustrating. I feel like whenever I stand up I better hurry up and get things done because the clock has started ticking.

I am grateful for your encouraging words. Stay healthy
 
@Celle, @kneeper, and @sistersinhim: as my knee continues to hurt/swell/be warm, I finally made an appt (albeit a “telemedicine” appt) w/my dr last week. From what I was describing and what little he could see via my cell phone, he thinks I have tendonitis. Prescribed generic Celebrex (Celecoxib), which I’ve taken before w/no problems, encouraged me to regularly ice (which I am doing), do quad tightening and leg lifts (which I will do) and squats (which I won’t do). Still not exercising or even walking. Just RICE. My question: is tendonitis possible? I’ve been on the medicine for nearly a week and the “warmth” is mostly gone, and stiffness is slightly reduced. Not sure if it’s bc of the medicine or that I’m “staying in place” bc of the virus and basically sedentary. Been down this road before: pain/swelling, weeks and weeks of rest, better, go back to exercising a limited amt, then a little more, then pain/swelling, and now rest again. A vicious cycle. I can’t sit forever! And bc I’m nearly 9 mos out, I’ve made a “second opinion” appt w/a different dr at a different practice around my one yr anniversary of surgery to see what he thinks is causing me so much pain and problems.
 
Tendinitis definitely is possible. I'm at 5 months and mine is getting worse. I've never been able to do much in the way of exercise or activity, so something else seems to be causing it. In the last 2 days I've had shooting nerve pain around my patella, and now there is numbness along my scar. I contacted my OS today and he wants me to go into his office tomorrow. :(
Ultrasound images could confirm your inflammation but with the coronavirus may not be possible or desirable.
 
@Daneez: thanks for feedback! My follow-up appt is April 28 and I’ve already said that I want to find out what my problem is and schedule whatever tests (ultrasound, MRI, etc) that are needed. Am hoping to hear from moderators , too, on possible tendonitis. Good luck with YOUR knee! I’ll be sending good thoughts that you get some answers tomorrow!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom