TKR Suggestions needed for “tight band” feeling

celle, kneeper, Pumpkln, sistersinhim.
Saw my doctor today, in person. A general BS question: should I send questions/comments to just ONE moderator, or is sending to several okay? (I do like getting a couple of opinions.) He examined me thoroughly and said everything looked and felt fine. Good range of motion and flexion. Blood work looked good, too (nothing showing infection or inflammation). He recommended to stop taking Celecoxib and take instead Lyrica and Prednisone because he thinks I may have issue with nerves. He ruled out all tests except a “3 phase bone scan” (dye injected via IV followed by a scan) and a “nerve ablation” where they inject novacaine into the knee to numb/stop the “signal” my nerve is sending to my brain. The latter is not considered experimental so insurance will cover it. The bone scan is apt to be pricey (still trying to get dollar amount). Thoughts?
 
It may be worth trying Lyrica, which is supposed to help with nerve pain, before you try anything more invasive.
 
Celle is correct. Most of us read every new post that is written, so yours' would be read by all of us. We are all over the world, so if one of us is sleeping, another is up and reading Bonesmart! Never fear, one of us is always here!
 
@sistersinhim: you’re a poet! Haha. Tks for the reassurance. So do I just post a question with no “@“? For instance, do you prefer: “I went to my dr today etc etc”. Will a moderator always respond if I end my little write up with a question? And...no one commented on the bone scan or nerve ablation. I can do a Google search but would be very grateful for your thoughts on those two things. Tks SO MUCH in advance!
 
And...no one commented on the bone scan or nerve ablation.
Below are the answers to your question.
It may be worth trying Lyrica, which is supposed to help with nerve pain, before you try anything more invasive.
This is what kneeper responded.
I agree with kneeper - try the simplest option first.
And Celle's answer.
Will a moderator always respond if I end my little write up with a question?
Many times any of the staff will answer you or another member. Not all the time do we have the answers. That's when you need to contact your doctor with your concerns.
 
Ahh I get it now. I THOUGHT you meant to try Lyrica rather than the Lyrica AND Prednisone...when you all meant Lyrica before Prednisone/bone scan/nerve ablation. I DO wonder if you all have heard of that bone scan, and of the nerve ablation and its effectiveness.
 
And...no one commented on the bone scan or nerve ablation.
One thing at a time! We recommended your first course of action - and probably the only one available to you at present..
I DO wonder if you all have heard of that bone scan, and of the nerve ablation and its effectiveness.
Yes, we have heard of both the bone scan and the nerve ablation.
The bone scan would tell you if there was any problem with your bones - which there doesn't seem to be, from what your doctor said. Bone scans are quite common and I think one should be covered by insurance, if your surgeon thinks there is sufficient reason to do it.

Here's an article about bone scans:
Bone scan - how is it done?

As for the nerve ablation, probably a nerve block would be tried first, . Local anaesthetic is injected into your knee, to see if that relieves the pain. If it does, a nerve ablation would then be considered - that is more permanent than a nerve block.

If a nerve block doesn't work, the cause of the pain needs to be looked for elsewhere. We have had a few people who had the nerve block, with mixed results.

At the moment, With Covid-19 so rampant, it's not likely that you would have either procedure any time soon.
So do I just post a question with no “@“? For instance, do you prefer: “I went to my dr today etc etc”. Will a moderator always respond if I end my little write up with a question?
There's no need to tag anyone, unless you particularly want that person to answer your question. It does help, though, if you put your question in a separate paragraph, so it doesn't get buried in the rest of what you write.

Did you read the article about tagging that I left for you?

Sometimes a Moderator will answer your question; sometimes it will be a Forum Advisor; and sometimes it will be a member who has had experience of that particular thing you're asking about.
 
Got it regarding tags. Sorry to loop in so many people. I admit I’m more than a bit antsy with talk of needles and radioactive material being put into my body. The info on bone scan was VERY helpful! Tks all (I know I need to calm down) :sad:
 
Stiff knee NC,
Neurontin is another medication used for nerve pain.
Your best options right now may be the Lyrica and/or Prednisone to help with your pain.
After one of my earlier knee surgeries I had persistent pain, my MD started me on an antidepressant similar to Lyrica. I was surprised how well it worked in a short period of time, your experience may be different.
 
@Pumpkln: I’m one dose in on Lyrica. Making me a bit dizzy. If it continues, I will see abt Neurontin.

The problem really is the tightness (rather than the pain; I think the tightness is causing the pain).
 
I had tightness my entire first year. It improved a lot in my second year and even more in my third year. Some knees just take much longer than others and the only thing you can do is wait it out.

Was I happy that mine took so long? No! But if I knew then how my leg would feel now, I wouldn’t have worried so much about it.

I remember something @bertschb once wrote. His issue was slow ROM but his words can be applied to any part of this recovery:
- There is nothing you can do to speed this up
- Forget about your knee and get on with life
- STOP WORRYING!
If you tap on his user name in the quote it will take you to his whole post. Check it out.
 
I took a screenshot of bertschb’s post...excellent advice! Wish I had found Bonesmart BEFORE my surgery instead of three months after when I was doing so bad, in so much pain, and near hopeless. So grateful for all the advice and support ❤️
 
@bertschb : not sure if you’re still touching base with Bonesmart...but wanted you to know that your advice helped me! Hope you are doing really well! I’m 9 months out and STILL have tightness, swelling, and pain.
 
@Stiff knee NC - I' ve moved your post, above, from Annaf's recovery thread, as it is more relevant in your own thread.

bertschb hasn't been on BoneSmart since late January, but there's a chance he will see your tag and respond.
 
Any idea why my knee, at 38 weeks post op, is STILL warm? Blood work was fine (no infection/inflammation); was on Lyrica (75 mg) 2x/day for 5 days and, for the past week, 3x/day (was on prednisone for 6 days, too). Am not exercising and barely walk within my house. Thought by now the “warmth” would be gone! I’m wondering if I’ll have a warm knee until my knee is completely healed.
 
You're not quite 3/4 of the way through this year long healing. Warm is a sign that your knee is still healing and nothing to worry about unless it is hot, painful and swollen. If you continue to be concerned, call your doctor.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom