Guest viewing is limited

THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nylsor Hi Ros, What a good idea I think it will do me good to do just that instead of focusing on what I still can't do but want to do and think I ought to be doing.If you understand my meaning. I must admit to being Mrs Negativity lately I really need to get on with normal life now I have just booked a hair appointment as I badly need my highlights doing and next week we are going up to our caravan on the North Northumberland coast for a couple of night between mams pacemaker review on Monday and my appointment with the OS on Friday.The sea air will lift my spirits as would shoe shopping so hoping to fit that in this week.Thank you for your encouragement. Regards Kim
 
Kim22. Discovered this morning that lifting wet clothing from a dryer also induces groin pain that doesn't leave quite as quickly. I think you are right. With every new activity there is a risk of overusing muscles and tendons. This recovery is complicated.
 
Kim22 that sounds just what you need! A bit of time out and the weather promises to be good. And have a look at my post on @By Gosh thread - I recommended a bit of kit I'm sure you'll find very useful for helping you get up and down from the floor and guess what? It's not designed for folk who've just had THR ops so we can carry on using it for years and have a wry smile when we remember the state of our poor bodies when we bought it! :) Ros
 
auberflöte You are not yet 3 weeks so its probably too soon to cut back on the Percocet just yet but I understand how keen you will be to do so.I am assuming that it is the same as Codeine and it has dreadful effects on bodily functions.Have you stated PT yet ?
Kim22 Thanks for caring! Percocet is a hydrocodone, so yes, it has the same effects-- but I have the prune department under control it seems. It's the brain fog, which is no longer "fun", it's "I hate this". I am taking slightly less, and less often, and it seems to give me a balance. Two nights running i have skipped the 'wee hours" dose, and the sensations on getting out of bed are exactly the same as if I'd taken it. So, I'll sleep rather than wake myself up to take a pill with food and water that makes me have to get up laterto pee LOL :) I still seem to be in a stage where every day is a little stronger and less swollen (in the morning anyway LOL) than the previous day. To compensate, I get new pains!:rotfl: I think I'm learning that I can't sit for extended periods-- walking makes things feel just as much better as a pain pill would, and ice helps greatly too. So, no more marathon BS sessions-- must stretch the legs out every 15 minutes!
I started PT on day three! Maybe it's a US thing. And I did the exercises faithfully, and by the middle of week 2 i was sailing through texercises I had barely been able to do just a few days before, and my balance was getting normal, etc. It's just a small series of seated and standing routines.
As to returning to work, I'm self employed, and if I were getting any summer gigs would have them by now, so, I think I will start practising today :) Do my lungs a power of good!
 
Hi zauberflöte Please don't remind me about prunes ugh disgusting I rate them nearly as bad as the blood thinning injections No wonder Clifford was desperate for tinned plums.Seriously you are doing ever so well so the PT must be paying off and its an appropriate time to start reducing the Percocet if you were needing to wake up to take the night dose.I agree that sitting for prolonged periods doesn't do the hip any favours but like you I find I get engrossed with BS and forget to get up.Are you a professional singer ?
 
Kim22 not a singer-- flute player, retired from an orchestra when they "bought out offered early retirement to" the "old people" (I was 50!) in 2002. I freelance now, and since moving to this city in 2007, have not put myself out there for work locally-- there are already plenty of flutes, and i know many of them, so I didn't want to step on any toes.
Thanks for the experienced word on my percocet issue-- I seem to be down to 3 doses per 24 hours, and the two daylight ones are 50% less perc, filling up the "empty space" with more tylenol. So far so good, and I will continue here for a few more days/weeks/whatever is needed! :)
OK. Walkies! LOL
 
Josephine I would be very grateful for your opinion again As you may recall my Physio diagnosed Tendonitis of the rectus femoris about 5 weeks ago and I have followed her advice and just restarted doing the standing hip flexion exercise in the pool I have noticed that when I straighten the leg to return the foot to the floor I experience a catching sensation in the top front of the thigh where the top of the leg meets the pelvis.The area feels a little tender but I ended up just doing 5 reps very slowly.I was wondering if you have heard of this before and if so is it a cause for concern ?
 
Kim, I'm afraid I have to be fairly selective in which threads I look at as there are so many and I could spend 10 hours a day on here if I followed every one! So you'll have to fill me in on the history of this a bit. To start, I see you are only 11 weeks out yet. So would you please answer the following questions

1. what medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
2. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and looking after your mother?
3. what kind of physio/other exercising are you doing ? How much, how often and why?

Would you also tell me exactly where the pain is using this graph - and note I will nee a vertical and a horizontal reference for each square, also whether front (red) or back (blue). Also some detail about when it happens, what kind of pain, how severe, does it stop you sleeping, is it so bad you take pain pills for it, all that kind of thing....

[Bonesmart.org] Spring in my step
 
Thanks for your reply Josephine

I an taking OTC pain killers Paracetamol 1 gm and Ibuprofen 400mg 3 times a day at mealtimes
I am doing some housework but nothing heavy as my husband is around to help. I clean the bathrooms, do the washing and ironing and most of the meals but don't clear away afterwards I do short trips to shops but not the large weekly food shop.I do things for my mother when I visit and accompany her to appointments but she has professional carers twice a day so again I don't do anything heavy
I don't have physio but I am still doing the exercises she gave me to do 10 reps each side in standing 3 times a day holding for a count of 5.
1) Moving leg out to the side and back to middle again
2)Moving leg backwards to tighten buttock
The third one is now only done in the pool and I have just restarted them (as I was advised to stop them when I developed tendinitis 5 weeks ago.
3) Flexing hip upwards to 90 degrees and (then back down to floor again
I am taking short walks and have stopped using a stick ( I do not limp )
I do a few very basic Pilates type exercises for the core and quad sets on the floor As I am now 12 weeks and able to lie on both sides I plan to start doing clams as well.I go to the pool once a week its a small pool and I do 8 lengths of front crawl 6 with a float to support my legs,I do a set of the above exercises and walk forwards, backwards and sidewalks one length for each.Yesterday I tried an exercise bike with the seat raised high for one minute to try it out and to ensure it didn't aggregate the tendinitis and it seemed fine.


The pain is at D on the line between R2 and R3 Just below the hip crease.
My main concern is when I do the hip flexion exercise and straighten the leg to return the foot to the floor I experience a catching sensation I would say the area is tender and sore when I massage it.I do the acupressure massage for 2 minutes 2-3 times a day and massage afterwards with Arnica cream.

I was wondering if you have heard of others having the same problem and if it is a cause for concern The original pain was caused by me twisting my hip awkwardly and the physio diagnosed tendinitis of the rectus femoris.I see my OS on Friday.
 
The pain is at D on the line between R2 and R3 Just below the hip crease.
Front or back? :what:


I can tell you straight off that the reason you are having this pain is because you are doing far too much!
In case you didn't notice as you wrote your post, let me summarise your activity for you - I've indicated those I think you should give up on for a few more weeks
doing some housework
clean the bathrooms, do the washing and ironing and most of the meals
short trips to shops
do things for my mother
taking short walks

As for these others, I suggest you quit the Pilates and pool for a few weeks and do the exercises once a day, 4 days a week at the most. You should remember that hips really don't need this level of physio as they generally manage to sort themselves out very well on their own!
am still doing the exercises 10 reps each side, 3 times a day holding for a count of 5.
a few very basic Pilates type exercises
do 8 lengths of front crawl and walk forwards, backwards and sidewalks one length for each

This is all a HUGE amount of activity and you're only 12 weeks out! I would expect to see this level at 6 months, not 3! This is the very kind of regimen that ends up giving people tendinitis and other aches and pains and worse, risks it becoming a chronic pain which is very difficult to treat. That's all too easy to get into. Take it easy on yourself and give your body a chance to heal and recover.

I an taking OTC pain killers Paracetamol 1 gm and Ibuprofen 400mg 3 times a day at mealtimes
I'd up your paracetamol to an extra dose each day making it 4 times a day and if you have any of your codeine left over, try taking one of those a couple of times a day as well, just for a few days. Ibuprofen of course, should only be taken 3 times a day.
 
Thanks Josephine The pain is in the front. I will follow your advice and cut right back as well as increase the paracetamol.How much walking should I be doing at 12 weeks ?
 
I went looking for your set of recovery articles but I see you were never given them. So this is the article I wanted you to read. Please note, this assumes that you have been taking it slowly and gently right from the start. So when it says "you should be able to be getting back to normal" it doesn't mean what you have been doing! Activity progression for THRs.
 
Kim22 I am probably the worse patient for my PT as far as doing all the exercises she gives me to do. I do a few here and there and I always try to stretch and rotate my legs. I do get up and walk around frequently and you know what....I had my PT today and my legs are stronger than ever my hips are getting more rotation. So what Josephine says about cutting back on exercise won't hurt you is so true. Sometimes it can hurt you. I do just what my legs tells me to do. If it hurts I don't do it, I feel it's my body's way of telling me it needs more time to heal before it can move like that.
 
Josephine Thank you for your advice. I will really cut back the activity as you suggested.I was just wondering what could be causing the catching sensation at the top and front of my operated leg when it is straightened.
 
I was just wondering what could be causing the catching sensation at the top and front of my operated leg when it is straightened​
Kim, Could it be scar tissue breaking up? Thankfully you see your OS on Friday and can get some answers. Have your list ready to have your questions addressed. We tend to forget the important questions that we were so hell bent on asking and forgot :hairpulling:
 
Kim22 I am probably the worse patient for my PT as far as doing all the exercises she gives me to do. I do a few here and there and I always try to stretch and rotate my legs. I do get up and walk around frequently and you know what....I had my PT today and my legs are stronger than ever my hips are getting more rotation. So what Josephine says about cutting back on exercise won't hurt you is so true. Sometimes it can hurt you. I do just what my legs tells me to do. If it hurts I don't do it, I feel it's my body's way of telling me it needs more time to heal before it can move like that.
sandybeach Gosh you are so right and your way has proved to hold you in good stead.Its good that your legs are so strong and let's face it this is why we have the surgery in the first place as well as eliminating the pain of course.I intend to follow Josephine's advice.I suppose I thought exercise was the way to enhance recovery and as for household tasks and doing things for my mum well sometimes things just need to be done My brother is due back from Italy soon so he will be able to take over with mum and we are planning a 2 week holiday in our caravan soon We are at the caravan at the moment for a couple of days only but have to return home tomorrow for my long awaited appointment with my OS.Thank you for your advice and for being so sensible.
 
Hi Liveringer Thanks for your post and I hope you are right about the scar tissue rather than it being something worse.I have my list ready for the OS and after waiting all this time I will not be hurried.I remember taking my mum for an appointment with herOS after her hip revision and she hardly got sat down on the seat before he wrapped things up and we were dismissed.How are things with you ? I hope your recovery is still going well.
 
Kim22 The question about scar tissue is a good one that Liveringer brought up.

Today after PT yesterday my legs are sore.....but not in a bad way. Just muscles that are hurting. I am going to start walking on my treadmill. I think that's the best way for me to strengthen my legs. I will quit when it starts to hurt but at the same time continue to increase my time on it. I have been leery of doing it because of some of the muscles aches I did have but they seem to be gone, hopefully for good. You need to do what your body says you can and stop when it hurts. I have been out doing yard work and I do all my housework, shopping and lots of other activities but I also stop and sit when I need to.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom