THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi clifford149 I will certainly update you on Friday.I am feeling a little disappointed about my recovery as well as confused as I read so many articles promoting the importance of physio to the successful outcome of THR and it certainly helped you. I hope your recovery is still ok and you are coping with work
 
I'm feeling the same as you, Kim. I'm disappointed and frustrated now, I'm in pain that is now almost equal to preop, I even reached for my crutch last night. As much as I believe in the physio and have found it good, I'm going to give myself a couple of days doing none of the exercises, maybe just little walks here and there, to see if things settle down.
 
Hi octopus What a shame as you were doing so well but hopefully things will settle after a rest and short walks only I know I am praying for the same outcome.What a roller coaster ride!
 
Kim22 I am doing well, I went back to work on Monday. Monday was a little tiring as I went to PT after work, then I cooked & ate dinner, took a 2 hour nap....LOL This morning was another milestone I can now SIT and bend down to tie my shoe...YIPPEE Today I bought a kids foam bat to use on my scar area it works really well. Price tag $4.99 when I am done with it I think I'll donate it to Physical Therapy. Knock on wood I think things are starting to settle down, last week my lower back was giving me fits but this week it feels pretty good.
 
Hi Kim22 octopus sorry to hear of the frustration I am sure wiser hippies can advise that it just takes time...of course that's easy to say....and both of you have given such great support to all us other hippies.....so please keep persevering ...and a big thank you from me...
 
Kim22 I am doing well, I went back to work on Monday. Monday was a little tiring as I went to PT after work, then I cooked & ate dinner, took a 2 hour nap....LOL This morning was another milestone I can now SIT and bend down to tie my shoe...YIPPEE Today I bought a kids foam bat to use on my scar area it works really well. Price tag $4.99 when I am done with it I think I'll donate it to Physical Therapy. Knock on wood I think things are startingI to settle down, last week my lower back was giving me fits but this week it feels pretty good.

So glad that you managed work ok and can now tie your shoes.Guess what I can tie my sheoes and put my socks on. I just wish this groin soreness would settle down.I have decided to follow Josephine's advice to rest more and cut right back on the exercises as well as restrict myself to short walks only.I am glad that your backache has settled again. What is a kids foam bat,do you use it like a foam roller ?
 
.I suppose I thought exercise was the way to enhance recovery and as for household tasks and doing things for my mum well sometimes just need to be done
Kim22 I SO hear you on this. I was ordered to do my set of exercises three times a day, per OS! So I do, but after reading on here all about tendinitis, I've gotten quite relaxed with the flexion one. It twinges in the op hip, and just plain hurts in the "good" hip, just like that one had arthritis too (haha it does). None of the others hurt, and I'm hoping that's a good sign. I'm doing just about what the Activity Progression says (which I'll bet was more or less what you did too :) ), with perhaps one more load of laundry and one more dishwasher load, and a whole lot more cat feeding than called for. But I'm certainly not able to walk 20 minutes at a stretch!! And I'm not trying, either. If the walk feels good, ok. If not, turn back right this minute, is my motto.
very like what i had in op hip for maybe 15 years before now. When I'd go to stand from sitting, during a rehearsal or concert mostly, I'd never know if i was going to fall over from the sharp pain or not. I never found out what it was-- it wasn't life threatening...
I hope you do find out, and more than that i hope that all will be well with some rest and cutting back. It can't hurt :)
This foam bat we're talking about is a baseball bat, probably sold with a wiffle ball, for pre-schoolers (in my area). Squishy but nicely shaped for holding. I need to get one-- a nice cross between a rolling pin and a padded foam roll!
octopus I do hope you find relief with that cutting back. More tv, more movies, more reading :)
Liveringer a new milestone, the shoes while seated! You're the one who says, One day I can't do it at all, and the next day BAM I can do it. I love that :)
Also to all of you, 'what" clifford149 said!" :)
 
Hi, Kim22 .... just wanted to say hi and I'm thinking of you and eager to hear how your upcoming OS visit is. Jo sounds so certain when she tells people they are doing too much, it's hard for me to not believe her. I confess I am always wary of too much PT, afraid of setbacks. See how "taking it easier" feels and let that be a guide perhaps?
Please take care and hang in there. (I know, I know ... that is so much easier said that done.)
 
What is a kids foam bat,do you use it like a foam roller ?​
Kim that is exactly what I use it for. I have a foam roller but it is to big to use and I'm not strong enough to lay on the floor and roll my hip over it. The foam bat is smaller in diameter and just roll down the length of the scar for a few minutes then go sideways with it a couple of times. Massage it with some oil or vitamin E. I have even used arnica oil.
 
zauberflöte and Peaches Thank you for your messages I am taking it easy as Jo recommended but I have been here before and as soon as I feel improved I go and do too much but as you will appreciate its hard getting the balance right so will just cut back on things for a few weeks from now on however I feel.I will be back in touch after my appointment tomorrow.
 
Hi Liveringer The foam bat sounds just the job for scar massage.I use a product sold over here called Bio Oil which is rich in Vit E to rub into my scar.
 
Kim22 I really feel for you-- things going well so we do one tiny ordinary thing or so, especially if WE are really the only person around to do it and it really needs to be done n o w or someone more helpless than we will suffer, and then we get a set back. I hope you get good news from OS visit :) I am rethinking my own activities, trying to make the Activity Progression jibe with the advice to do less, less, less. It's very hard! Here I am doing this and that and feeling fine with it, but resting (which makes me sore and stiff if done to excess...) is supposed to be more on my agenda. If you are frustrated, I'm right behind you. :)
Scar massage general question-- it seems that people are using various products. I couldn't find Vit E in the pharmacy the other day, wore myself out slogging up and down the aisles. There were a few products sold specifically for scars, would they do? Somebody said that just plain lotion was good too-- I have that already. Maybe the Vit E is not as important as the massage?
 
zauberflöte Chris, I was told any oil product would work. As far as vitamin E it can be found in capsule form or in a small bottle. I kinda of wish I would have just gotten baby oil. But I have the vitamin E now so I guess I'll continue to use that.
 
I am taking it easy as Jo recommended but I have been here before and as soon as I feel improved I go and do too much but as you will appreciate its hard getting the balance right
Hi Kim22 That sounds all too familiar to me, too. I seem to feel a little better and try to resume a bit of activity, only to wind up back with the same thing again. It's so discouraging to get better, only to get worse again, isn't it?
I understand just how you feel.
 
Kim22. I hope you get some useful info tomorrow and relief soon. I appear to have joined the "Done Too Much" Club and it is enormously frustrating. Let us know how it goes.
 
Hi Kim22 That sounds all too familiar to me, too. I seem to feel a little better and try to resume a bit of activity, only to wind up back with the same thing again. It's so discouraging to get better, only to get worse again, isn't it?
I understand just how you feel.

ByGosh I couldn't agree with you more.I think there is so much conflicting advice and its hard to know what to do for the best to maintain that bit of progress that we see from time to time.I suppose the answer is not to resume activity until we have seen some improvement for much longer but that is easier said than done when we are all so desperate to get our normal active lives back.Thank you for your understanding.
 
Kim22. I hope you get some useful info tomorrow and relief soon. I appear to have joined the "Done Too Much" Club and it is enormously frustrating. Let us know how it goes.

Sorry to hear that LeeApril26 I will pop over to your thread to catch up with you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom