Guest viewing is limited

THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kim22 Just back out and "good" hip in aching. Can't figure out what is going on but see PT tomorrow again so will ask for advice. She's knowledgeable but gung-ho, so I listen but don't do as much as she says.
 
Kim22 I'm just sorry that there are a few of us here still having this same issue with groin pain. I hope your OS gives you a clear idea of what's wrong and a solution for it. My OS was very pleased with my hip implants, and everything else - my walking, my strength, my ROM - and didn't seem to pay much attention to the fact that I still had pain. He said it was "soft tissue inflammation" and would get better. He gave me the option of Prednisone, but the dosing starts out high, and I'm very nervous of it, so I've been holding off, as there are many side effects. I actually tried a little of it today, and I feel depressed, so I don't know for sure if it's from that or not. I think it is, as I wasn't feeling this way before. I wanted to see how it woud effect me first. I'm afraid to see what would happen if I took the whole big dose at once.

I wonder what your OS will say? It will be interesting to find out - for you, and for us. I was not diagnosed with tendonitis. When he did the leg maneuvers, I didn't test positive to the tendonitis one, I guess. But this soft tissue diagnosis sounds so vague to me. Although I guess it makes sense.

I don't know. I just want to get better and get my life back, as I'm sure you do, too! I don't feel that I'm overdoing anything to cause this. Just routine normal walking around in my driveway and to the next house can do it. How maddening! :hissy:

Good luck tomorrow, I hope you get some sleep tonigh and get all of your questions answered! Take good care, and thanks for listening.
 
LeeApril26 Has your PT given you gentle stretches for your back pain ? it's possible the good hip is just reacting to taking so much strain off the operated side and that could be the same with the back.You are right to listen to what she has to say but to only do what you feel you can. The best advice is to listen to your hip and not to push it too much.
 
massage the scar with plain aqueous cream .
what's plain aqueous cream? There's water involved, but I can't think-- is it maybe what we call cold cream? For removing makeup? Maybe I could use Noxema skin cream-- lovely pungent, clean, herbal smell and water based I think.
 
ByGosh, luluohio,zauberflöte, sandybeach, TeeEm, Liveringer, LeeApril26, Songlady, clifford149, octopus, Maeve, Kylesh,Littlejem, Nylsor,walkagainV, clarabo,cabbageandbacon, Poppet, Josephine,dede62, Elosarabrab, Firebrand Peaches and anyone else I have forgotten
I am 12 weeks and saw my OS today for the first time since the op and I actually saw the man himself which was unexpected as he had 2 registrars working in the clinic.The X-ray was good and he was really pleased with the way I was walking and my ROM He examined me and he agreed with physio that the pain I was having was due to tendinitis but he later referred to it as a groin strain.When I explained that the pain was made worse by the hip flexion exercise he told me not to do it.He said that the catching sensation when straightening the leg was due to scar tissue.He reassured me that this would pass but it can take 3 months.He said to remember that I was still less than 3 months and not to overdo things so no physio, no exercises or stretches but to walk as tolerated and if I experience pain to stop and rest He stressed the best exercise for hips was walking ( where have we heard that before ? ) He told me to avoid steep hills and uneven surfaces like the beach.He was happy for me to use a stationary cycle ( note Barbara ) but without resistance and to do gentle swimming but no breast stroke. So as you will all appreciate I feel so much more positive. I don't go back to see him for 6 months.

I have set a date for Home Loans dept to take away all the equipment and can't wait to see the back of it.I will hang on to the palm grip walking sticks as you never know when you may need them in the future.I don't use the stick at all now by the way. The other thing I am hanging on to is the bath seat which I received last week but still haven't used but will try and get the courage sometime soon .My OS told me that many THR patients never get in the bath ever again so if that's the case I would not be alone. I can now put my socks on without the aid. Thank you to the Moderators and to all my BS friends who have been so supportive over the past 12 weeks It would have been so much more harder doing this without you all.Wishing you all a good recovery. Lots of love Kim
 
Kim22 Thats great news. Im so glad you got to see the man himself and didnt get stuck with just the sidekick - as good as they might be. Good reasuring news about your groin pain too.
Its a great day when they come to take your loo seats away - even if they do what they did here - park right down the road so everyone in the street could see what was coming out my house! . I'm very wary of trying the bath too. The PT said 12 weeks so Im going to stick to that, but I think I might get myself a bath seat.
 
Kim22, It sounds like lots of positives for you :yay: . Yes Josephine will be nodding about the walking.
I cant get into or out of a bath. I use the shower anyway so no big deal. Getting rid of the aids around the house must feel good.
You actually saw your surgeon! I see the senior nurse on June 20th. I would only see the surgeon again if I was an interesting or difficult case. So I take that as a good thing.
If you can get on an exercise bike it feels good but build up gradually.
 
If you can get on an exercise bike it feels good but build up gradually.
Yep. I did 5 minutes on my exercise bike today. I did 3 minutes forward cycling, then 2 backwards to use different muscles. It felt good, but I could feel the muscles in my groin/upper thigh start to tighten up by the end.
 
Yay, Kim22! What a good report! I am so glad you were able to see the OS, too! Thank you for posting such a good account of your visit; I found it really helpful. And I feel better about "just walking!"
Groin strain, eh? Interesting; we've sure heard a lot about that from so many people. (My own, on the op side, is throbbing at the moment... I guess in empathy?)
Thanks for reporting!
 
Kim22 what a great report-- I do feel like a great weight has been lifted off your back. And to see Himself himself, way to go. He sounds like a very sensible person indeed.
Throw some birdseed or confetti at all the aids as they are carted off down the street... have a party! :)
Don't go away and leave us, ok?
 
Hi Kim!! What an exciting report. You sound so much happier, it really helps seeing the man himself, doesn't it? And he seems to have given you some very clear guidelines as to what you can do and what you shouldn't at this stage, not like poor Mrs zauberflöte! I haven't tried a bath yet myself, but I'm thinking once you step into the tub, maybe it would be a bit like getting down on the floor and back up again. I'd have to try it. But to get on the floor I kneel down on hand and knees, then stick my op leg straight out behind me and turn over to a sitting position, turning in the direction of sore leg. To get up again, I turn over to hands and knees in the same way but turning in the direction of good leg. I'm looking forward to having one sometime, sounds nice, lovely hot water on a cool night and a good book! Anyway, I'm so pleased to hear your good report!
 
Kim22 such a great report and you sound so well and confident about it which is great news. You have clear instructions about the tendonitis and how to deal with it which is brilliant and means you can just get on with your life. Being able to use the exercise bike and swim must feel really good, I am so looking forward to being able to do both. I must admit I do love my soaks and lower myself down into the bath mostly with my arms and push back up that way, I was very nervous for the first few times but it's got a lot easier. i hope you keep doing so well, but you're not leaving us are you??
 
Kim, what wonderful news that you got, and now you can set your mind at ease. Unfortunate for you that you had over done it some weeks back just to encounter groin pain. You have already started to take slow and easy and hopefully you will mend sooner than later. So get those walking shoes warmed up for little flat LAND walks.
I made it through my first week back to work. Monday I was drained as I expected and the rest of the days were fine. Four days left then summer vacation until Sept. "Life Is Good" isn't it? Take care
 
Kim22. Great that you were able to see the head surgeon, and wonderful that it sounds like you had enough time to share information and get clear directions. That seems unusual overall. Scar tissue makes a lot of sense, and it will resolve, which is terrific. Once again the differences in physio/PT prescriptions amazes me. As I mentioned, I am ignoring about 50% of the PT exercises, but it is still a lot. Odd.
 
Thanks to you all for your encouraging replies.I feel so lucky to have been seen by the surgeon who did the operation and that he gave me as much time as needed to answer all my questions which I had written down in case I forgot.It was good to be able to thank him personally for giving me the hip replacement when others had told me that I was too young.I am definately not leaving this site any time soon as I will continue to need you all.
 
Great update Kim, it is so good to get that reassurance isn't it.. Slow and steady.. He is so right!

btw peeps... Aqueous cream is a light, non-greasy moisturiser that is made from a mixture of emulsifying ointment (which contains paraffin oils) and water, with phenoxyethanol as an antimicrobial preservative. So not my most fav cream for massaging.. What about.. Making a natural massage oil – Olive oil may very well be the world’s oldest massage oil. It can be used alone or as a carrier oil for essential oils.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom