Guest viewing is limited

THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy for you Kim22,
That seems like a really good point in recovery to get a thumbs up and have lots of restrictions lifted. Going by the threads of peoplee.g. Peaches, who are waved goodbye by their OS at 6 weeks, it seems that a check at 3 months would be appreciated. So although this wait must have been awful theres good news to come I feel. :)
 
Thanks Maeve I hope I get some good news but not good today.I think I overdid things yet again yesterday so resting instead of enjoying the nicest day of summer so far. Will I ever learn !
 
Hi Kim22 so pleased that you have got your appointment at last and at the very least you will be able to ask about the things that have been worrying you. I got lots of aches and pains until this week ( I'm in week 15) but now I just get the odd pain in my knee on my unoperated side and I generally know what causes that - when I've done too much. Either that or the OA is starting to play up in my left hip. X-rays showed OA in that hip but not to any great extent so I'm hoping it's just my body adjusting itself. I can sleep well on either side, my sleep patterns have returned to normal ( thank goodness - I hadn't had a decent night's sleep since last July) and I'm trying to get my life back on track as much as I can. I was just thinking that when I was at week 12 my progress seemed to have ground to a halt but then for the last few days things seem to be moving again. I'm still amazed at how treatment differs here in the UK - it's almost like a lottery - I was discharged at week 4 and haven't seen anyone since. I thought at first that it was because I was treated privately but I spoke to the mother of one of my daughter's friends at the weekend and she had her hip operated on at a local NHS hospital and her experience was very similar to mine. I think they only see patients after four weeks if they contact them with any problems. The waiting lists are horrendous in this area so maybe it's because the OS are busy seeing new patients. I don't know but if I have to have my left hip done I think I'll come up to the North-East! I certainly can't afford to pay again. Did you get your new shoes, Kim? I feel I can walk much better in shoes I didn't wear very much / not at all pre-op and I've thrown the uglies in the bin. Am I the only one who doesn't want any reminders around of my pre-op time? Hope you're feeling a bit better.:flwrysmile: Take care Ros
 
Will I ever learn!​
Kim22 Obviously not but you are to the point to where you want to move forward and groin pain is stopping you from doing so. Hopefully your appointment you will get the answers you have been searching for. Good news for me, another milestone this morning lifted my foot onto the edge of the bed to put my sock on! whoop, whoop :happydance: :happydance:
 
At last I have an appointment with my OS Friday 14th June I will be 3 months by then
Great news Kim! Not long to wait now. Does your appointment include an X-ray?

I was just thinking that when I was at week 12 my progress seemed to have ground to a halt but then for the last few days things seem to be moving again.
Thanks Nylsor, this is good to hear, I'm week 13 now and feel I've been at the same point pain wise for a few weeks now. Although I do see signs of improvement in strength and ROM, some days I feel like I'm stuck at this point and nothing is happening.

Good news for me, another milestone this morning lifted my foot onto the edge of the bed to put my sock on! /quote]
Good feeling isn't it. This happened for me at just the right time, when the weather was getting colder. I've just realised that's it's also easier to do now, it's not such a tight stretch.
 
Kim22 so pleased you finally have your appointment it must be so frustrating all this waiting, you just want to see him and be given good news!!! :gaah: Sorry you're struggling a bit, I think we all tend to over do it sometimes, we think we are better than we actually are and do too much and oh boy, regret it later!! I'm sure that pretty soon though you won't need to worry about this and you'll be racing all over the place with ease.............!!! :)
 
Hi Nylsor Nice to hear from you and to answer your question no I haven't got round to getting new shoes yet.My mother who is 89 has kept us busy and has 2more appointments this week and there is only so much you can do in one day and on top of that my Tendonitis is playing up again but we will go shopping at the first opportunity.

I am so glad to hear that you feel that you are progressing after a few weeks of standing still.Thats good news and as you say you can concentrate on getting your life back on track.Its also good news that you are getting a good nights sleep after so long.That must feel wonderful.

Its good that I am seeing the OS at 12 weeks but I haven't seen him since the night of the operation so its high time I did.I hope I an where you are at at 15 weeks as you sound very happy now.Take care
 
Thats brill news. Is it your own OS? If so, better then having to see a replacement .
I am not sure whether it will be with him as he may still be on the sick so most likely to be seen by a registrar
 
Kim22 Obviously not but you are to the point to where you want to move forward and groin pain is stopping you from doing so. Hopefully your appointment you will get the answers you have been searching for. Good news for me, another milestone this morning lifted my foot onto the edge of the bed to put my sock on! whoop, whoop :happydance: :happydance:

That's fantastic news I can't wait to be able to put both my socks on I am almost there but still need the sock aid for the right foot.
 
Kim22 so pleased you finally have your appointment it must be so frustrating all this waiting, you just want to see him and be given good news!!! :gaah: Sorry you're struggling a bit, I think we all tend to over do it sometimes, we think we are better than we actually are and do too much and oh boy, regret it later!! I'm sure that pretty soon though you won't need to worry about this and you'll be racing all over the place with ease.............!!! :)

Thanks Littlejem I find it so difficult finding a balance between doing too much and not enough and let's face it we don't know we have overdone things until we have and then its too late.I certainly thought I was better than I was yesterday ! At least this time I haven't injured myself and the pain will settle down after a couple of days of rest.
 
Hi octopus Yes the appointment will include an x ray.Its great news that you can also manage to put your socks on.Another great milestone ticked off. Well done
 
Kim22 Very glad you have your appointment coming up. Hope the groin pain subsides. Yesterday I had to walk up a short incline, and had instant, strong groin pain. I'm not sure what the connection is-hip flexors?-but it was instantaneous. And, as soon as I was on level ground it stopped, thankfully. Don't know if it is useful info re: your groin pain, but it seems like several people are suffering from it so I thought I'd pass it on.
 
Kim22 well it's about time for that appointment and i am very glad for it! You know, you are really very busy, and probably pretty stressed, what with your mother and the rest of life. I'm thinking that general stress will contribute to hip-related pain, and I'm also thinking that we forget all the "other" stuff we do. I think it was Josephine who said recently "going back to work IS physio", so whatever daily activities we do count towards the pain level and the energy drain.
Did that make any sense? I'm working with too much percocet here... time to think about cutting back, maybe LOL. Anyway it's good to see you all, and I am happy for strides in the right direction, and feel for those "one step back" folks... :) take care everybody!
 
Hi@Kim22 you know I think you're doing a lot - can I suggest you do ( if you have the time when you're so very busy with your mum) what I did last week? I just wrote down all the things I can now do and the (sort of) order I did them in. For example, getting rid of the sticks / toilet seat raiser, driving the car, putting on my own underwear unaided (pants) , putting on trousers, pulling on socks without aid, tying/ putting on shoes, walking around a supermarket, bending down and picking things off the floor, feeding the cats, etc, etc. The list is endless. And if you do this Kim, you'll realise just how much progress you've made and just how far you've come post-op. I was quite surprised and it gave me a little lift - and I don't have an elderly mum to worry about. Of course, there is still much to be achieved but I sometimes think we don't give ourselves enough credit. So here's a lttle cheer for all us hippies and the great effort we make :yes: :yes!: Take care Ros
 
LeeApril26 You are right groin pain seems to be a very common problem following THR Some of it must be due to healing I seem to be having different pains now in the outer hip and buttock as well as the groin.I am hoping the new ones are because of increased activity but the groin pain is due to tendinitis following an injury a month ago. I am glad that your groin pain didnt last and it sounds like your body is telling you to take it easy on inclines just for now
 
Hi zauberflöte You are not yet 3 weeks so its probably too soon to cut back on the Percocet just yet but I understand how keen you will be to do so.I am assuming that it is the same as Codeine and it has dreadful effects on bodily functions.Have you stated PT yet ? I think Josephine is right about work being a form of physio and help caring for my mother keeps me busy so its just as well that I am retired.I don't know how I would have coped with work but I suppose I would have managed if I had to.I do admire those on here who have returned what seems to me far too early.Are you planning to return to work soon ?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom