Guest viewing is limited

THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kim22 I am thrilled I was hoping to do competition June 22nd but I'm not sure I'll be tournament ready for that so my next goal will be July 2nd. I go back to work June 10 but I'll only work 9 days then have the rest of the summer off seeing I work for the school system whish is in session from Sept.-end of June. Yesterday I woke with a backache and today was a little better but wore a backbrace today helped alot. I think my body has to get use to sleep on my side again but I think what done me in was I slept on my stomach a couple of nights ago. I made an appointment with my chiropractor and he'll get me readjusted (he does know that I am only 6 1/2 weeks THR as he is the one that suggested me having one). I'm sure he'll be as pleased to see how well I doing as the surgeon did.

LeeApril26 Yes I use weights at PT which she uses 10 lb weights but just in one of the lifts with the coffee can. I can see more lighter weight coming on the straight leg lift probably in a week or so. I love the hamstring stretches I might have to keep that one for all the time especially stretching for horseshoes which I don't do enough of and should.
 
Liveringer. Hamstring and quad stretches are great, and really help my knees. I don't mind doing the exercises, just find it tiring on a daily basis. I haven't tried an exercise bike yet. A ten pound weight sounds daunting.
 
Kim22 TeeEm, I hope you both get your appointments soon, it's very frustrating. I've had a couple cancelled myself, including my surgery with a phone call the day before! I'm crossing my fingers for Friday, it's my three month check up with X-rays. I'm longing to see what's going on in there. Good luck to you both!
 
Hi clifford149 Nice to hear from you. How are you now the last report from you was very good and I think you must be back to work very soon if not back already. To answer your question about ice, no I am not using it any more as I was advised not to by the physio who diagnosed the tendinitis,she recommended heat instead so I am using a hot water bottle.
 
Hi octopus I rang the hospital today but as yet the OS or whoever is covering for him have not rearranged the clinic.Good luck for your 3 month review on Friday
 
Kim22 how frustrating for you at not being able to see your OS, you need the reassurance that he can give you especially over the recovery and your tendinitis! Hope you get your appointment through soon and you too TeeEm. I saw my OS at 6 weeks but then don't see him again until my next surgery day but I really think I will take things a lot easier this time and take more time off work to recover :ok:
 
Kim22, I have been on here very limited for that past few days. I had my grandchildren and that kept me busy. We did all kinds of fun activities, including shopping, planting flowers, going to the movie and taking them to the park. They have so much energy. I read the post about you going shopping and then you had to sit with the old people and rest....I can relate to that, before my second surgery I had to use my cane all the time, as I was going into the building I work in 2 elderly people about 80 or more held the door open for me:blush: . It was sweet that they did that but I still felt I should be the one holding the door for them. I hope you get to feeling better soon, just take it slow, push yourself but not too much.
 
Hi Liveringer,
Very interesting to read your exercise regime! My physio seems to be on a similar tangent. The theraband is prominent in most of mine for extra resistance or, as in the bridge, ensuring knees do not point inwards. Do a fair bit of stepping on stairs at home, steppier at the physios,
As I mentioned in my post update, I did a bit too much by going to one of my pre op classes...Heartmoves....powerwalk warm up( read clunking round on one cane for me).... Physio still insists....boxing for twenty minutes which I love and is the first cardio workout oost op. then fitball/ core/ strengthening/ theraband....I used a chair. Did too much as woke up with hip and other muscle aches in tge middle of the night. Half an endone was needed but I'm fine this morning.
The slide down the wall with fitball is on my physio's list so maybe today
 
I'm hanging out for you to get that appointment soon Kim22.
It must be so frustrating.
Good luck to you octopus for an all clear tomorrow!
 
Hi Kim22 - haven't been on here for a few days as I've been busy with one thing or another. I've just read back a few posts and many other folks' experiences are very different to mine re PT and seeing their OS. I saw my OS at 4 weeks when he said you're doing great, told me I could sleep on my side, said don't bother with any more exercises as walking is the best exercise, wear the compression stockings for another two weeks and discharged me. That's it. I'm not expecting to see anyone else - ever. I had one session of PT after I left the hospital and that was it. I'm so glad I found this site as at least I can compare my progress with other people's. And don't be sad Kim - I felt down and tearful every day until I found this site and realised that there are very good reasons for feeling down. I wasn't given any painkillers at all when I left hospital so I just bought over-the-counter stuff, eg. Ibuprofen, Voltarol, etc. The difference in approach pre and post surgery is amazing and not only between countries but in different parts of the UK. I do hope that you are feeling a bit better today. If the weather cheered up a bit we might feel a lot better. I spent the day at my husband's allotment on Monday and I've had aches and pains ever since. I had to remind himself that I had major surgery 14 weeks ago so carrying great big watering cans and erecting bean canes, etc wasn't really the plan. I thought I'd just sit in a nice picnic chair and watch him weed and plant. Apparently not. It appeared that he thought differently. I did do a bit of work but have ached ever since. My husband tells me it's 'muscular'. Funny that - I don't ever remember him getting a medical degree:umm:
 
Kim22, I have been on here very limited for that past few days. I had my grandchildren and that kept me busy. We did all kinds of fun activities, including shopping, planting flowers, going to the movie and taking them to the park. They have so much energy. I read the post about you going shopping and then you had to sit with the old people and rest....I can relate to that, before my second surgery I had to use my cane all the time, as I was going into the building I work in 2 elderly people about 80 or more held the door open for me:blush: . It was sweet that they did that but I still felt I should be the one holding the door for them. I hope you get to feeling better soon, just take it slow, push yourself but not too much.

Hi sandybeach It sounds like you had a great time with your grandchildren Were they on vacation from school ? I think your energy levels must have right back up for you to have kept up with them.Do you not use a cane now ? I am still glad of mine I must say.I tried a short walk without it on Monday and although I managed to walk with a correct gait I ached more the next day. I find getting the balance between doing too much and not enough very difficult Today I managed to tie my shoe laces myself for the first time and the groin pain is not so bad but I have resorted to taking Naproxen again so that might be the reason why it feels better. Take care
 
Hi Nylsor Thanks for your post.Your recovery seems very straightforward with only one session of physio and only over the counter pain killers after leaving hospital I don't know how you coped in the early days without stronger stuff to take.It's interesting that your surgeon just advised walking for your recovery which is what Josephine recommends too.You are so right that there is such a variety of opinions world wide regarding PT and it amazes me how many exercises some people are doing. To be honest I would be happy to do more but prefer to follow the advice of my physio until I see the OS at least.
It sounds like you had a very heavy day in the allotment on Monday I hope the aches and pains have gone now.My grandson is almost 7 months and weighs nearly 19 lbs I haven't been able to lift him up since Christmas so just wondering when I will be able to do that again. That's one of my many questions for the OS when I get to see him.
I managed to tie my own shoe laces today which is a first I felt inspired by your day out to buy new shoes and have persuaded hubby to take a trip up to Newcastle next week to buy a new pair I think you are all right that the Preop ones are no good for walking after recovery and they may be contributing to my muscle pains.I hear that the weather is to change for the better again tomorrow so that will cheer us all up.
 
Kim22 my grandkids are so much fun to have around and I always think about how fast this time goes and soon they won't be little so I just want to enjoy them as much as I can now. I haven't used my cane for a few weeks now but I still get a sore leg from not using it, my newest hip gets sore because that leg is still weak but I figure the best way to get it strong is make it work. All of us that had surgery close to the same time seem to be at about the same stage of healing. We are all having aches and pains as we continue to push ourselves. You are doing really good to be able to tie your shoes, what an accomplishment :ok: Nylsor I had to laugh at the comment about not knowing when your husband got his medical degree....my husband seems to forget at times too that I had major surgery and tries to see how much he can talk me into doing. Stick to you guns and don't do anything you feel will set you back.
 
Kim22 Have you had your appointment yet? I phoned the hospital this morning and got Mrs Snotty. Anyway, after her telling me it was far too soon following my cancellation to have been allocated another yet, and one would be made in 'due course' . :gaah: it would appear that yes, actually another appointment had been made for 11th June. The OS isnt in next week either and that is the first available date. I bet he has gone on holiday and right hand didnt pass it on to left hand !
 
Hi TeeEm No appointment for me yet. The clinic still hasn't been rearranged ! It's not good as I will be 11 weeks on Monday and I haven't had an X-ray since leaving hospital.I must admit the lady I spoke to was very pleasant but I have had Mrs Snotty on previous occasions and she happens to be the Secretary to my OS. The 11 th June will soon be here but I understand your frustration.
 
Kim22 I was going to suggest you phone the OS secretary, but it doesnt sound like you would get much joy there. Is there anyone else you can compain too- appointments manager? Surely there is another OS who could tag you on to the end of the clinic. All you are asking for to to see if evrything is OK and a bit of reasurrance. Id phone again Kim, and keep at them - squeeky wheel and all that .
 
Hi TeeEm I have just had a long telephone conversation with the physio who has answered a lot of the questions I had but of course there were some that only an OS can answer.If I don't get any joy early next week I will have to resort to Mrs Stroppy and if she is unhelpful I will contact PAlS.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom