Guest viewing is limited

THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand just how you feel Kim22. But you are doing SO WELL. Walking 1 1/4 miles! That's really great, and the best exercise you can do for the hip. I'm glad you're improving and I'm also so sorry you still have lingering aches and pains. Try not to get too discouraged, though. The recovery will get better and better, even if it is going slower now. Your energy drain will only get better, too. Remember that none of this will last forever. You're only 10 weeks post-op. Just think about the improvements you'll have by 20 weeks. And by 'this time next year'.....Keep telling yourself that when you feel low. You will make progress and this will all be in the past. Try to stay positive, I'm thinking of you and wishing you the best. :)
 
Thank you for your encouragement ByGosh I know you are seeing your OS this week please let me know how you get on.Sending you healing thoughts x
 
Kim22 that is a good update! What I can't quite understand is....how come the OS can't be "seeing" people with a broken arm?? My son was made to continue at school, and he was only 12! This guy's been putting you off forever! (or is it my drugs?.....)
I'm thinking that "this time next year" is going t be my mantra too. One day/week/month at a time! :)
 
Kim22, I think that you and I are quite similar in our recoveries at the moment. I try to do the walking, but find that it drains me. I'm still walking with a stick at 12 weeks. My husband wanted to go out for the day over the bank holiday weekend but I kept putting it off, as it felt overwhelming to me. I hate being the party pooper, but I know my limitations.

I think perhaps our paths to recovery are winding paths, but we will get there in the end.

Would you consider private physio treatment?
 
zauberflöte Exactly but perhaps he needed surgery himself. I hope I get news of a new appointment soon with him or another O S or I will have to pester the hospital staff.
Firebrand You are right recovery is a very winding road. I have thought about a private physio in fact I was seeing one up until I was told that I needed a THR.I have decided to see the OS first for his opinion. After I had the arthroscopy last year and did not improve and all the NHS physio kept saying was carry on with these exercises and come back in 3 weeks.When I got worse I decided to see a well recommended. Private physio who did hands on work which the NHS one didn't have time to do. When the NHS guy found out he was not happy and discharged me.The current physio is very experienced and specialises in THR and has had one herself.When I see her she seems to know her stuff and is of the opinion that walking and the 3 exercises she gives to everyone is enough to recover.So I think I do need to talk physio with the OS first before I do anything else this time.
If only we had a crystal ball which would tell us everything will turn out ok in the end which I am sure it will.I hope work is ok this week.The walking stick comes in handy when in crowded public places I have found as I can't change direction quick enough for the general population
 
Kim22 Im another one who cant get to see their OS . :gaah: Should have had my first post-op OPD today, but the hospital just phoned up and cancelled it because the OS isnt in today ! Another appointment will be sent in the post. Im so frustrated . I darent weightbear properly until I see him. I feel like Im on the road to nowhere at the moment.
 
Sorry to hear that TeeEm hopefully they can get you in real soon. I would assume that they won't make you wait to long. Let us know when you hear.
 
Hi TeeEm This is so frustrating for you especially as you are not yet fully weight bearing. If you don't hear about an appointment soon I would be ringing the hospital and asked to be squeezed in to a clinic.You will feel so much more positive after the appointment and an X-ray. I hope we are both seen soon
 
Oh dear TeeEm,
I so feel for you! I had a call the day before my due appointment for 17 May to let me know it was cancelled as the OS had been taken to hospital with a suspected heart attack.
I'm not proud to say that after I felt very upset on his behalf I was gutted as all my hopes were on the putcomes of the 6 week check...the whole gammut of worries and questions we all have. I felt very selfish!! I think we get so caught up in our bubble of recovery that every milestone is so important.
Fortunately my OS did not have a heart attack...it appears it was arrhythmia and I got a call the next morning asking if I could come in at short notice. Of course I nearly tripped over myself getting ready!
My finger are crossed for you to get a very quick appointment. Best wishes! Fran.
In
 
Maeve I would have felt exactly the same. I think we all swim in Lake Me a little after this surgery . I was in a right strop this morning, but have cheered myself up by buying some new shoes online. And I've got at least another week of using the 'too difficult to walk with crutches' excuse to not meet up with a 'friend' I dont want to meet up with. :whistle:
Kim22 you seem to have been waiting forever ! I hope you hear soon
 
Hi, Kim22: That really is a glowing report you gave, along with your outing with your gal pals, with wine and two-inch kitten heels! I too have the knee pain and am perplexed. Like you I look forward to the day of going somewhere without worrying about having to sit down due to pain. Also like you, despite being in the PT-friendly U.S., I have very few exercises and focus more on walking than anything else. I am not sure that does not work for some of us. But you are right in that PT advice worldwide is so inconsistent and it's like playing Russian roulette to find a PT who is good or who prescribes the right exercise for the right ache or pain. Your progress is a real inspiration to me. And it sounds like you have figured out how to deal with the reoccurrence of the energy drain: perhaps don't do the long walks as frequently for a while. Hope you have a good day.
 
Kim22
Ten Weeks Today

Still trying to positive about my recovery but feel that the improvements have slowed down which I know is normal from reading other people's threads I still get tearful and low from time to time as I just want to be able to walk pain free for exercise and pleasure as well as to be able to live normal life which of course is why I had the surgery. I am walking but have a lot of muscular aches and pains as well as an ache in the right knee. I feel like I have run a marathon because of the energy drain.
What you're saying is probably common old healing. I feel the same especially after being on my feet and active through out the day. I feel achy all over. If I wake up with aches and pains I take a few Ibuprofen and that usually takes care of it. The more new things I do the more new muscles I feel. Your post is typical of how I feel some days and other days I'm so happy to be where I'm at in the healing process. The ups and downs aren't easy but at least you know we are having them and hopefully that helps. When you feel that energy drain can you take a nap? When I feel that I usually sit and watch something on TV and soon I do feel better. How are you doing today?
 
Kim22 TeeEm Maeve So this is the "my OS can't/won't see me" place-- what a mess! I feel for you all, wish there was some way to fix it :) Especially those who cannot move on to the next level without being seen... My heart goes out to you :):friends:
Peaches hey there! :)
 
Peaches and sandybeach I didn't go out for a walk today but was kept busy with doing chores, visiting my mother and sorting out her laundry as well as doing the weekly food shop with hubby.This was the first visit to the supermarket since I developed tendonitis and I managed fairly well until I reached the check out when the groin pain kicked in so I had to find a seat I must admit I felt sad sat there with the old people watching everyone busily moving around doing their shopping.I think you are right SB that the aches and pains are due in part to the healing process and using muscles that haven't been used for a while.One good thing no energy drain today even though I was kept busy so I think the walks were getting too challenging so I will stick to the plan of doing them on alternate days but not increase the length until they become easy and there is no energy drain.I hope everyone has had a good day
 
Kim22. Just caught up with your thread and am amazed and impressed by all you are doing. My OS is anti-pain pill and pro-PT. What happens is that I do the PT (complete with ankle weights) one day, and then spend most of the next day on ice. I try to get in a few walks a week, three blocks out and three blocks back. I am doing very little else. So, I am wondering about all this PT. I hope your appointment with a surgeon is rescheduled soon.
Ditto, TeeEm and Maeve. I am counting the days til my appointment on Monday, and will be very bummed if it is cancelled, as I can't get into a pool until I am cleared. You all need to buy more shoes!!!!
 
LeeApril26 Hi Lenora its so difficult to know what to do for best with regards to PT as there are so many different opinions out there but all you can do is follow the advice of your OS unless the PT causes you too much pain but what's with the anti pain pills regime ? If you need intense physio its only fair that you have adequate pain relief.I am with you on the new shoes as there is nothing like a new pair to lift the spirits.Let us all know how you get on at your appointment on Monday.
 
LeeApril26 Lenora, I do outpatient PT 2x's a week and the other days I do about 10 minutes of leg lifts standing and lying on the bed. I'm in my 4th week, I'll tell you what my therapist does and no need for me to ice the next day. Keep in mind that my restrictions were lifted last week. I ride the bike for 5 minutes, she does about 10 reps of pushing op leg knee towards chest, she stretches the hamstring, leg off edge of table 10 reps bending leg back towards buttocks (since the beginning), leg lifts on a round coffee can w/towel wrapped around it I'm up to 30 of those, I am up to 15 leg lifts lying on my back (I started with bent knee and each visit the bend got less and less until I reached a straight leg), 2 different height in boxes op leg on edge of box other foot is used for heel touch so lift~heel tap 15-20 of those, next onto leg lift machines I call them up and the under lifts 30 of each, large ball against the wall middle of the back squat and roll back up up to 25 of those, the next you lie on you back and push with your legs it is spring loaded so that I totally use my op leg in this exercise I cross the good leg over the knee that way I know the op one is doing the work and last but not least the treadmill I have been on it 4 times and up to 10 mins. but feels like 30 to me when I am done. Now keep in mind I have worked up to this my sessions were about 30 minutes now they are almost an hour.

Sorry Kim22 that I hijacked your thread but then again maybe some of the exercises will help someone else especially those that are at least 6 weeks for some of those exercises such as the treadmill, knee to chest. But the good news is that today the therapist told me to start tossing horseshoes without walking, so I did 20 to start tomorrow I might do 10 and walk. But so far, I feel pretty good and I could do the motions better than ever. :tada:
 
Kim22 there's a lot of disagreement in the US about pain pills. By week three I was down to one per day, pre-exercise or PT. I have bout 15 more pills and doubt I will be given another prescription. Will post after my appointment. Thanks.

Liveringer. Thanks for sharing your exercises. I will have my second outpatient PT tomorrow so I'll see what he suggests. I do many of the same exercises you do, though not the one with the coffee can, but with three pound weights on each ankle. I am supposed to walk around the house with the weights on off and on for a couple of hours, going forwards, backwards and sideways, and climb over objects placed randomly on the floor. This is actually a good prep for broken sidewalks. I also do full leg extensions, knee raises, isometric knee exercises with no weights, hamstring and quad stretches and squats. It takes about an hour, and I sometimes do it in two half hour stretches.

Are you using weights?

Apologies, Kim.
 
Hi Liveringer Dont you worry about high jacking my thread I was interested to read what you are up to in PT Congratulations on getting the go ahead to throw horse shoes again you must be thrilled and I am sure it won't be too long before you are entering competitions again.Great news Karen.When do you go back to work ?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom