THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
ByGosh I just think we don't realize how much activity we are actually doing. To me it was the simple things driving, light house work, walking into the OS office, the club in that couple of hours maybe walked 10 minutes of it. When I had went over that in my head it is like Wowsa I did a lot today. I think I read someone keeping a journal on their recovery and activity, now that I think of it, it would be a good idea.
 
Liveringer, you read on here that some swear by the exercises other say you hips will take care of themselves. I try to stay as active as my legs will allow. My leg joints are stiff from lack of use so bending my legs around is difficult and I do think the exercises help but they do hurt. After my first surgery I couldn't do much for exercises, so I didn't except when I went to PT twice a week and I don't know if they really helped much, my legs were just way too sore. Now that first leg is doing good, the strength is coming back in it and it is by far my strong one so that might be true, that in time your hips will figure it out as they heal and the PT just speeds things along.
 
ByGosh - well, when I see shoes I like, he usually says something like 'Oh, don't you think you've got enough shoes?' and I've got to come up with some quick reason why I need another pair. When I told him about what you said, he said it was a good thing that I had mainly worn a pair of flat, black uglies while I was in pain and misery as they wouldn't be much of a loss when I flung them in the bin. I think he missed the point. I had the buttock massage ( husband again) and voila! No pain today!:)
 
Liveringer Thanks Karen for making enquiries from your PT on our behalf and its great news that she also endorses the use of massage and it's so reassuring to hear that it will get better even if it takes a long time. I am happy with that. You sound like you have lots of energy and I felt exhausted just reading what you had done in a single day so it was hardly surprising that your muscles made their protests felt but good news that they responded to the stretches.
 
sandybeach I find the inconsistent advice regarding PT very confusing My PT gave me 3 exercises to do only and now one of those are no good because of the tendinitis so really apart from very gradually increasing the walking (again) I am doing very little compared to most other people on here.I have queried it but she tells me these are the only exercises I need to do.I can't helping feeling that I am not doing enough.Did you get the grass mowed ?
 
Nylsor Your husband sure knows his stuff in the butt deptmartment! :heehee: It didn't take long for him to loosen up that spasm! I think if word gets around, there's going to be a whole lot of ladies here who suddenly need a massage 'right where it hurts' !! Now we've started something - a whole new chore for the hubbys, and one they'll like alot more then the dishes! :rotfl: We'll have to start a thread in the Social Room - "Massage Techniques for the Tight - ahem!" - You get the picture.... :)
Now on to the shoes....yes, I do believe a new pair of shoes is in order for you. After all, you DID just have MAJOR surgery, and you were in a lot of PAIN, and shoes ALWAYS make you happy, so I say it's a necessary part of your recovery, much like getting that spasm out of your backside.! :flwrysmile:
 
Nylsor, men just don't get the shoe thing at all. I remember after my first op my feet were swollen so I was restricted for weeks to one pair of shoes. The first time I got my ankle boots on I was so excited :happydance: and he just couldn't understand. He has a pair of dress shoes and a pair of trainers and a casual pair of shoes and that is enough for him. I have lots of shoes I am hoping to be able to wear again soon. Don't ask him about the need for matching handbags :rotfl:
 
Kim22, I wouldn't worry about what exercises you're doing compared to others on here. You do what you can. I have read that walking is the best thing you can do after hip surgery, best exercise. I didn't get my lawn completely cut, we have run into lawnmower problems so it's at a stand still until this evening. It's always something so I am going to do some housework to fill my time and I have to do some grocery shopping too, so plenty to do.
 
Kim22 I've read here by one of the administrators that walking was the best exercise one could do post-op for the hip. Also, I think it was Poppet or bottomshollow who didn't have any PT post-op. Just did her regular chores and is fine. So who knows? I think some PT can be beneficial for those with gaits that need correcting, or weakend muscles. But you know, it's very dependent on the experience and expertise of the PT, I also think.

How are you doing today Kim22? I'm back to square one again. Although I know the acupressure helped some tender thigh muscles I had. The groins are another issue, though. I see the OS next week, and since I'm now 12 weeks, feel I've been doing my best being patient, but it's been too long now, and something's amiss. I'm hoping that he'll have something to say that makes sense of all this.
Lots of people are feeling knee and/or leg pain lately. It must be part of the replacement and the stresses on our other joints. It is frustrating, though. We all have the surgery to get better, and when that gets stalled, it can be discouraging! But I keep trying to think ahead, just like you said "this time next year...."
 
Kim22 please don't beat yourself up re PT. When I saw my OS at week 4 I asked him what exercises I should be doing after week 6. He said that I needn't do any more exercises at all as I was walking without aids and that as long as I was walking that was enough exercise. When you think about it, we get in and out of bed (even during the night in my case), we shower and dress ourselves, do light housework, perhaps see to laundry and do ironing ( yes - sorry - I failed in the ironing training department), perhaps do a little light gardening, shop, cook, drive etc. Isn't all that exercise? As I've never been known as the Queen of the Gym I did a happy dance :dancy: to hear I didn't have to lift and swing my legs / knees around anymore. I think that all this PT is a bit much after major surgery. I had to have a blood transfusion during surgery and two the day after, my iron levels were low, my blood sugars were all over the place, and I was developing 'flu. On Day 2, in came the physio and got me out of bed and tried to make me walk to the door. Good thing hubby was there as she certainly wasn't able to support me as I buckled at the knees and started sliding to the floor clutching my urine bag. Bells were pressed, nurses rushed in, I was laid flat on the bed and had to be given oxygen. She came the next day and I pretended to be asleep. I felt a bit stronger the next day and did do some of the exercises and I got myself out of bed to use the bathroom, etc. and have a little walk around the room and down the corridor. I was able to 'do the stairs' before I left hospital on Day 6. At home, I did the exercises I'd been given but at my own pace and when I felt strong enough to do them. By week 3 I could walk with little support and by week 4 I walked into the OS's consulting room with no support at all. Do your own thing, Kim. And how do you see a PT? I saw a PT once here at home and that was it. She said I appeared to be progressing fine and as she was on holiday the next week, give her a ring when she got back if I had any probs. I hadn't, so I didn't. Now if I have a problem, I ask you good folk and you don't make me faint either. Friday night now so I'm just going to have a nice glass of Shiraz :cheers2: it's good for your iron levels, Ros
 
ByGosh, Elosarabrab I couldn't agree more re men and shoes. They don't realise that we NEED flats, boots, high heels, sandals, Betty-Boo peep toes, shoes with bows, shoes with straps, beach shoes, wedges, sneakers, etc and all in a range of different colours. And the handbags - don't get me started on the handbags :wink:
 
I didn't have any extra PT other than the exercises they gave me in hospital, which I was already well informed about from the forum (even more so) !

But hubby and I took up Nordic Walking (see the article I wrote in the Social Room on the topic) and when I told my OS at my 12 month check he was absolutely thrilled... 'Keep it up he said, best exercise for you' ...

Must admit, have been lazy and not done much for three months, that necessary activity called work, just keeps getting in the way of enjoying myself... Roll on retirement Sept 2014 :dancy: :happydance: :yay:
 
Hi ByGosh,sandybeach, Elosarabrab and Nylsor thank you for all your reassurances about PT or lack of it I think I agree that just getting on with chores and walking is enough for me along with the 2-3 exercises I am doing is enough .I have just had a great night out with the girls (ex colleagues ) We had a lovely meal with a few glasses of wine and a load of laughs. What was great was no longer worrying about the height of seats and I wore a dress with 2 inch kitten heel shoes and I left my walking stick at home. It was great to feel normal again instead of wearing sports shoes with insoles. My son dropped me off at the restaurant and picked me up again at the end of the evening so apart from a trip to the loo I didn't need to do much walking. I love shoes too especially high heels as they make me feel so much taller, slimmer and younger but only wear them on evenings out but 2 inch heels are about the most I can cope with now. I must admit I miss being able to walk in the country,by the sea and in the hills most of all but a close second is not being able to wear nice shoes
 
Very nice outing Kim22! :flwrysmile: I'm glad that you were able to enjoy yourself with the girls and have a nice dinner, get to relax and have fun. Wonderful to be able to wear 'normal' shoes, the heels sound pretty. I don't know what kitten heels are, I'll have to look that one up. Good for you!
 
Kim22 - the night out will have done you far more good than loads of exercises. Well done you! I think we need to edge ourselves back into 'normal' life. Today, we're going down into the West End of London ( major shopping / tourist area) to have a look around the shops and have a nice lunch out. Just after Christmas, I doped myself up with Tramadol, and attempted to enjoy the West End. We went into a favourite restaurant and I could hardly eat a bite due to pain. It took a major effort on my part to walk out of the restaurant as I could hardly put one foot in front of the other. Our trip out was cut short and we had to come home. Today, I'll walk in there, painfree ( apart from the odd twinge) and enjoy my food and then have a look around all the shops I've enjoyed for more than forty years :yay: Ros
 
Hi Kim22.... those walks will happen, and they will be all the sweeter for the waiting - not much consolation I know. So pleased you had a pleasant social outing... lifts the spirits that is for sure :)
 
Nylsor, enjoy your pain free outing... sounds fun, I remember our time in London... sweet memories :)
 
It's always something so I am going to do some housework to fill my time and I have to do some grocery shopping too, so plenty to do.
Good grief sandybeach I'm tired just looking at that!!! In 3 weeks this will be me? Will wonders never cease! :) :)

only exercises I need to do.I can't helping feeling that I am not doing enough.
I'll chime in, Kim22 and say, tens of thousands of satisfied new hip customers in places the US can't be wrong, right? You are fine. I kinda wish I only had three exercises... LOL. Your outing sounded like absolutely the best medicine, and TWO inch heels??? Whoa baby! You are something! :):egypdance:

as I buckled at the knees and started sliding to the floor clutching my urine bag.
:loll: Oh Nylsor ros the image is funny, ya gotta admit. Have fun with your shopping trip-- it sounds just wonderful :)
 
Ten Weeks Today

The ROMs continue to improve.
Sitting on lower seats without a problem but hanging on to raised loo seat for another 2 weeks as advised by physio.
Can walk up to one and a quarter miles with one stick without needing to sit down ( This Is an improvement as when I walked before the op I was constantly searching for a seat or I we carried a small camping stool wherever we went. I needed to sit because of hip or knee pain or both ) This is probably my biggest improvement to date.
Since going back to daily walks increasing the length by a little each day the energy drain has returned big style as I am back to needing an afternoon nap so I have decided to do the walk every other day instead.
Still doing the same 2 exercises.
Tendinitis is still an issue after 3 weeks so continuing with the massage and Ibuprofen and Paracetamol together but only twice a day now.
The appointment with the OS on Friday was cancelled as he has a broken arm.
Still trying to positive about my recovery but feel that the improvements have slowed down which I know is normal from reading other people's threads I still get tearful and low from time to time as I just want to be able to walk pain free for exercise and pleasure as well as to be able to live normal life which of course is why I had the surgery. I am walking but have a lot of muscular aches and pains as well as an ache in the right knee. I feel like I have run a marathon because of the energy drain.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom