Bilateral TKR Spider on the recovery side

Status
Not open for further replies.
My left didn't want to straighten and my right didn't want to bend. Strange legs!
 
Went for a test drive today - felt fine, so driving back on the cards for me :). YAY at least a bit of independence!!
 
All going well here - I can tell the swelling is lessening, much less tightness. I can stand and walk longer now without that tight feeling. Spinning around on the exercise bike with not much problem as well!
I have the opportunity to go away with my husband for his work in 2 weeks time. Flight would be 2 hours. Is there any problems with flying after surgery?? @Josephine, @referee54, @skigirl are you able to help?
 
At 6 weeks? Well you need to make some plans
1. arrange for wheelchair assistance at the airports so you don't have to walk. This has the added advantage of getting you boarded first but the DIS advantage of having to wait till everyone else has disembarked before your assistance can get you off. You luggage and all is also attended to as part of this free service.
2. arrange for plenty on ice to be made available to you during the flight
3. make sure you get a seat with plenty of leg room
4. wear some compressions tights, ordinary flight socks will do, doesn't have to be TEDS!!
5. makes sure you get up and walk around a couple of times each hour
6. do lots of foot rotations and ankle pumps while sitting
7. take enough pain meds to last the trip
 
Thanks @Josephine, I'll be about 8 weeks before the travel, but organising all of that should be fine. Don't need to do much when I get there - but it will be nicer than being left at home :)
 
@Spider, I flew a 2 1/2 hour flight 6 weeks after BTKR. I had no problems. I allowed a little more time to get to gate and paid for the extra leg room. I didn't wear compression hose but I did get up every hour and walked a bit and did a few ankle pumps throughout the flight. I was off pain meds but I did take an extra strength tylenol, I didn't notice any difference. The only thing I should have been more aware of was the line I got in for the security check. I had the TSA pre-check clearance on my ticket. Apparently if you have a joint replacement that pre-check line is no longer available to you. The scanner they make you walk through is sensitive to metal. I set off alarms everywhere so I had to have the pat down. I won't make that mistake again. I'd say, if you're up for it, take that flight. I'm so glad I didn't miss the opportunity to see my kids.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks for the responses. I'd really like to go, its been chaos at home since my op, and it would be very nice to just sneak away with my husband. Although we couldn't do much - it will be nice to have time with him, while he isn't busy running around doing 2 people's worth of work!
 
Trip fell through :(, I had a surgeons appointment i just couldn't change. Oh well, I'll go another time when I'm feeling a bit more up to it. The upside is my daughter will be home from her trip to Cambodia the day before he leaves, and we will have a week to ourselves which will be nice.
I think I might be entering the 6-8 week blues cycle. I'm feeling like this is never going to end, although I 'think' I'm doing pretty well. (hmmm makes sense to me anyway :) )
I'm walking inside on my own with no aids quite ok, very slowly, but a normal walking action. Flexion and extension is ok, no idea what numbers they are but imagining I'm about a 0 and 115. I'm still spending so much time doing nothing, and maybe that is what is getting to me. I'm working again as I can do that on my computer at home still on the couch elevated - but I think being in the same position with no activity is starting to do my head in!!! I've always been a VERY active person and I put my head in a good place I thought before going into this op, but am starting to struggle with it now. I miss outside, I miss smelling my horses and touching them. Luckily my dogs come inside to spend time with me - but I miss walking with them. They are very big (3 Great Danes ) so I have to be really careful even wandering around outside with them. They get so excited that I'm outside, but I can't handle them even leaning on me.
Sleep is still a struggle. I've always been an insomniac and had sleeping tablets, so I did know this would be a challenge. I go to sleep easy enough but wake each night for 2-3 hours. I'm waking with an ache in my knees which is annoying - because night pain was one of the main reasons I had this done!!! Please someone tell me this goes away. We are in the middle of winter here, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference with a prosthetic knee?
During the day the pain is quite good, and represents itself as mainly stiffness but with twinges and sharp pain with some movement. The sharp pains simply feel like I'm walking on a twisted ankle.
OK vent over, big girl pants back on!!! :) thanks for listening :)
 
I could have written that post as well. I am now sitting on my glider on my front porch with the ceiling fan going and the dog at my feet.

[Bonesmart.org] Spider on the recovery side
 
I'm guessing that given our surgery was almost the same time, that what I"m feeling is normal then :)
 
Great photo - I'll have to post one of the view from my porch as well!!
Although this is from summer and nice weather - freezing and raining at the moment!
[Bonesmart.org] Spider on the recovery side
 
I think we are both at similar places! I am trying to find a balance between busy enough and not too busy. ;)

Is that a river or lake? It looks beautiful! We have a small lake, or large pond, that is over 100 years old.
[Bonesmart.org] Spider on the recovery side
 
Wow, yes it does sound similar? That is a dam, there is a waterway up from our property and continues downstream - but it is a pretty big dam.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Blah - tears yesterday. I would have to say I think that this the first lot of tears I have had since the initial 'pain and shock' ones. Its just not like me at all. I had even had a lovely day, lunch out at the pub with my husband, but was upset when I got home that I had to lay on the couch and rest. I really have nothing to be upset about - family is still wonderfully supportive, I can work without causing my knee any distress, and I have had no hiccups in recovery. I'm a strong willed and positive person - so I need to switch this mood around pronto!! Perhaps I need to work out how to have some/any horse time.
 
Horse time helped me more than anything. My horse was with a trainer while I was recovering. Just going out and watching him work and petting him was great therapy. I did a little jumping today, first time in years no pain! It was wonderful!
 
How long before you rode @HorseLover?? Its the middle of winter here, and even my daughter has turned her horses out, but I'm hoping she is going to start riding in a few weeks so I can watch at least. My horse is leased out with an old owner so he stays in work, and keeps his manners :). I was thinking of going to visit him as well. I'm still nervous about being close to them in case I can't move quick enough. All of our horses (except the youngster) have great ground manners and are very good, but I am still a little worried about being too close to them.
 
If they are anything like other animals, they will sense that they need to be gentle. :)
 
unfortunately, although they will have the best intentions - anything can occur to spook a horse, and without warning you can have 500kg leaping in your direction. I'm sure my daughter will help when I get home next week get a bit of time though. I hope so, because I'm hanging a bit of my mental health on that :)
 
That's probably why I've been so out of sorts. I need some barn time badly. I did make it to a horse show a few weeks ago to watch some friends. I don't know - I was so happy be be around the horses but it was also kind of depressing to be there and not be riding. I'm hoping to get back on in the next few weeks and see how it feels. The hard thing for me is that between my back surgery 2 years ago and my knee deteriorating, we had to retire my hunter. So it's back to riding lesson horses for a while and then greenies for my trainer. I do want another horse eventually but I guess it 'll have to wait until my right knee is done.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom