Bilateral TKR Spider on the recovery side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you @Nana moon 27 . I'm feeling quite up and down at the moment, some days great - then I overdo it, and step backwards again. I guess this is part of the progress and learning what I can or still can't do :). Feeling quite positive now about it all, and the light is definitely there. In reality I really am having a text book recovery, and that makes me VERY lucky :).
 
@Spider I read a little over on @Tamsmom thread. The depression piece is so normal....and SO hard. I so get it. It WILL get better. Listen to your knee, especially now, it will pay off later. I SO remember the feeling of "give me my old knee back", that you expressed. . . I don't feel that way anymore, I am not fully comfortable with my new knee, but I am starting to feel the joint and how there is no more arthritis. It is such a process. I think we are all changed deeply in this process, and I hope it makes me a lot more compassionate. I wish you very well.
~hopefaith
 
thank you @hopefaith - I am starting to feel a bit better now my life has a bit of normal back. I have to be careful to no overdo constantly, but at the same time, I am having moments of feeling what they will be like. A couple of times I have even stood up and thought to myself the pain was less than before. I think I'm coming out the other side, the trick is to stay improving and positive, but stay careful of the ODIC. I live on a property with dogs and horses, and I just miss being involved with them like I used to. Its coming though. It was a sunny day one day this week (middle of winter here), and I managed to get out and take my horses rugs off! It was tricky and very slow, I fed them, had a whip with me just in case, and took them off gently one by one. I felt so good - but the ground is very uneven so that is the only time I have managed to get out there. I am very grateful for the massive support by my family. I feel for those who don't get this - it has really gotten me through.

Tracy
 
I bet that felt great to do some normal stuff like being out with your horses. I really know nothing about horses (other than watching a few horse movies like National Velvet :heehee: ) but I bet they were glad to see you too.
 
oh dear @msmechanic58 look after yourself. This stage is certainly a bit like a roller coaster I think. I've spent the weekend in bed with a migraine which was very annoying, but my legs now feel 'stiff' so doing some exercises this morning!
 
@kneeper, funny thing about horses - actually as long as someone else is feeding them they really don't care!! :) I definitely got a great feeling doing it though. Might even do it again this week, just have to be really careful because of the unpredictability of the horse, and unevenness of the ground - they are the really tricky things about being around horses. They are food for the soul though, something wonderful to have at my back door throughout recovery. The ones at home are my daughters though, mine is on lease so I really miss him. Next step is to go and visit him :). That trip will result in photos for sure.
 
Funny day yesterday - got up feeling good and went to the gym. I thought I had nothing else on, so I could go and spend the rest of the day at home working on the couch. Unfortunately I had a message when I got out about a customer meeting I had forgotten!!!! I had to quickly shower, change and go into a meeting which is physically hard to get to, park a distance away and walk there and back. By the time I got home I was in ALOT of pain, very sharp pain on weight bearing. I rested for the evening, elevated and iced. I was expecting to be sore this morning, but actually woke up ok! I got sore my early afternoon, which is a bit early, but other than that - no real effect. I was quite excited about how quickly my knees recovered from my ODIC activity!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Spider on the recovery side
@Spider, that's mighty good for just a bit over 2 months post op. But be careful---next time might not be as lucky.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
I know I was lucky!! It wasn't planned at all - but I can't let clients down, I work in software sales. Im so lucky that my husband is so awesome, even tonight he made me get out of the kitchen and relax to recover still from yesterday. Going to try the gym again tomorrow - but I've double checked I have nothing else on :)
 
I am so ready to be back in the gym. I have noticed that I am recovering much more quickly as well. Great update!
 
sounds like you did just the right thing after your ODIC experience.
 
Off to do a light gym session again - I think I will do 10min on the bike and then leave my legs completely alone until next week :). Home to rest after that.
 
Well, my start to 'normal' life was thrown a curve ball! Or should I say a 75kg dog!! I had a really busy week this week with husband travelling so looking after myself, animals and teenagers - plus all of their logistics. Then enter my gorgeous and very affectionate co-dependant Great Dane Argus!! Day Two he tripped me up because as I walked past him in the lounge room he reached out his paw to touch me. Day 4, I let him out of his run in the morning, and he was so ridiculously excited that he slammed his whole body into me legs - owwwwww!!! Needless to say, I've not been to the gym this week, and now it has ended the next few days will be rest, rest rest.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Bit of time lapse since an update - but could use a bit of support. All is going well, so I dont' feel a right to complain. Physio is happy, and I've started to put resistance on my bike, and doing a little weight on leg exercises. My days are still REALLY up and down, great days where I'm feeling on top of the world, and then I get sore again, and I have miserable days where I feel like I'm getting no where. I'm thinking that maybe i haven't been on here enough to remind myself of the 'normal' course of recovery.
My days are pretty much back to normal as far as my family is concerned, but everything I do is still so slow, and I am struggling to keep up with normal days. I think the worst issue is still my insomnia, so finding it hard to keep going when 1. I haven't slept much, and 2. I am still feeling exhausted after a big day.
My normal day consists of getting up and getting lunches and breakfast ready for kids. Once they leave, I go and feed dogs (3 Great Danes), horses (3 or 4), and then coming inside and doing my own breakfast, and perhaps trying to fit gym in. After that I sit in my office and work as much as I can (they are expecting full time hours from me now), fitting in other bits of housework in between. Children get home about 4 ish, I start feeding and doing animal runs again, doing any other housework, dinner and helping with homework. At some stage I also need to fit in cleaning, and shopping. Like I said biggest issue is some nights I am still ony getting 3-4 hours sleep, so over a few days it is really getting to me and I'm feeling a bit depressed.
I'm a pretty 'get going' type and upbeat, so struggling to hide how I'm feeling to everyone as well.

Thanks for listening, just felt like I needed to get back in touch on here with others who understand this journey. Can't wait until life is back to normal - pain free and sleep!!!
 
I'm also still getting quite a bit of night pain. It feels like I can't keep them still, and get aching around both of my knees. I stopped taking pain meds during the day at all feeling like I didn't need them - and trying hard to cut down, however I am still taking 200mg of SR Tramadol at night, as well as panadeine Forte (paracetamol + codeine 30mg) to get to sleep, and sometimes having to take another 2 panadeine forte during the night. I think some of this is related to my exacerbated insomnia, so it doesn't take much to stop me sleeping. I also take prescription sleeping tablets when needed.
Maybe I need to start taking panadol again during the day to see if it will minimise night pain - does that sound like a sensible approach ???? @Josephine
 
I think some of this is related to my exacerbated insomnia, so it doesn't take much to stop me sleeping.
I don't think so! It's more likely to be peristant low grade pain.
I stopped taking pain meds during the day at all feeling like I didn't need them
All evidence to the contrary!
trying hard to cut down
At 13 weeks? I was still taking my full prescription of pain meds for 4 whole months.
Maybe I need to start taking panadol again during the day to see if it will minimise night pain - does that sound like a sensible approach ?
Indeed it does! Right now you are mixing Tramadol and codeine which is a bit iffy! I suggest you try this: Tylenol 1,000mg 4 times a day with a Tramadol at night. That way, with a little careful scheduling, you can get 5 doses in the 24hr period.
 
Thanks @Josephine, will try this regime as of tomorrow. I'm sure you're right - kind of talking myself into the fact that I dont' need pain relief during the day now, when in fact I just do!
 
Sounds like a pretty busy day. How old are the kids? Can they help with some of the housework? Can you lie down at all during the day for a short rest?
 
Oh and I caught myself telling people that my knee is feeling pretty good. Of course I'm taking 3,000 mg of Tylenol every day and haven't gone back to work yet. :heehee:And I still get some pain overnight.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom