Bilateral TKR Spider on the recovery side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started riding at three months to the day. No problems, I do use a mounting block to get on, but my guy is 16 2. I had a jumping lesson yesterday (very low grid work) just to get my timing and that was good.
 
3 months seems too close for me, but hey fingers crossed!! I had to use a mounting block before surgery anyway - and my boy is only 15.1! What did you find the hardest - rising trot??
 
blah! 3am and still awake again. So frustrated, and just dreaming of some normality - any. Had a bad pain day today (well yesterday), and was soo tired. I think I'm at that phase where I'm wishing I was back prior surgery, at least I could do some stuff. Its not like me to be grumpy and down either - trying hard to vent on here, rather than get too grumpy at home, because everyone has been so good and supportive. I'm really lucky, but Im just feeling so down and useless :(. Try to go back to sleep soon, and fingers crossed tomorrow will be a better day.
 
I have those days! I just choose to post something good no matter how small. Some days it's just putting my own socks on. I'm hurting quite a bit right now. I drove to post office to drop off two boxes. One was a bit heavy. I also watered all my plants since my son is gone to camp. More weight in the watering can. I know I'm in the ODIC right now but trying not to take my last few Demerol. I have pt tomorrow and I want to save it for that. But - I got my own socks on today!!! ;)
 
Feeling a bit better today. You're right @msmechanic58 getting back on the positive bandwagon is what I need to do. LOL @ your sock comment, I could even put my TED hose on myself by day 2 - I have a complete phobia about anyone touching my feet so doing that was one of my first accomplishments!! :).
 
I learned many years ago that happiness is usually a matter of finding the right perspective. :)
 
no doubt about that - however, a well placed vent can help as well!!!
 
When I started riding the only problem was general muscle weakness. There was no pain at all, even posting. When I got off my legs felt like jelly!
 
ahh good to know. At the moment I still have pain on rising from a chair - clearly not ready to mount yet :). I can imagine how weak I will feel, its scary. I've planned my return though in time increments :)
 
First solo trip to the shops today. Success - I returned with what I went out to get :). I have to admit, once I was out and about on my own my head wasn't as 'clear' as I thought it was. Never mind, it was successful - I got dog food, some groceries and my prescriptions. Pain seems to be settling a bit as well.
 
Starting to feel like I've turned a bit of a corner. I've reduced my pain meds, almost accidentally!! Of course, I then went and overdid it yesterday grrrrr, silly me :). Oh well, a couple of days icing and elevating again. I think I've just reached the point where the light is appearing at the end of this long tunnel! I know I'm still really early, but yesterday I stood up from my chair and had one of those light bulb "hey that didn't really hurt" moments :). Can't wait until I'm one of those cool success stories and talking about my first endurance ride!!!
 
Slept all night last night - yahooo :). I did take a prescription sleeping tablet, however, I've been taking them before and still haven't slept properly. Went to sleep about 11, and woke at 6 - then turned over and slept till 8. woo hoo!!!
Also, had an 8 week OS appointment, and he said I'm progressing 'excellently'. All good at the moment. He reminded me that after 2 months, I'm expecting to be where I will be about 6 months. OK I get it! :)
 
:happydance: wonderful sleep news!
 
Not quite so lucky tonight - but hey, I guess you can't expect to have one good sleep and its all perfect from that point. Its another sign I'm on the way up though :)
 
Officially in ODIC tonight. Had a lovely weekend feeling 'almost' normal. Slow, but normal. Did some wandering around shops and hardware places with my husband, went for birthday drinks at a pub, out to dinner, over to families etc etc. Tonight my left leg down the outside is really painful!!!! owwwww. Up and icing now. Physio appointment tomorrow, not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I'd rather have seen him end of last week when I felt awesome so he could say lots of great things about my recovery. I guess the upside he can check that all I've done is 'over done it', and inflammed something. Chants to self *knee is in charge, not me. knee is in charge, not me".
 
gone backwards with my sleep again :(. Two really bad nights in a row, but I think it is related to overdoing it on the weekend, and some achy pains at night. Upside is I went to my physio yesterday (I am only seeing him every 4 weeks), and he is really really happy with how I am going. He said it is excellent progress, is happy for me to start going to the gym again (with a restricted program). He measure my ROM at 110, and said he won't really bother measuring anymore because it will come better as I heal. He thinks I'll get 125/130 with my legs based on their shape/size and what I had before. He told me that I really couldn't expect any better at this stage of recovery - so I left feeling pretty happy. Just have to get over this little over done it hump!!
Went outside today and took rugs off of horses - felt so so good :)
 
I had one of those nights last night. I'm doing a lot more walking so i have been hurting and swelling at night.
 
Hi @Spider it's quite normal to have disturbed sleep pattern. Mine even after all this time is all over the place. You will have good days, bad days and you, only you will know when you are safe enough to ride again, bless you! I don't think you may not realise this but you are making a truly great recovery ... Well done you! You'll be back in your saddle before you know where you are! I admire anyone who undergoes a BTKR...oh so brave x just remember that we are all individuals and our recoveries are individual too. Please take care love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom