Bilateral TKR Spider on the recovery side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, icing and elevating and some exercises is your job. :) And don't forget naps.
:zzz:
 
so true @msmechanic58!! It is just about trying to fit in all the things you need to do without forgetting. Im trying to work out how to not miss the important things like taking pain relief regularly, enough icing, and exercises. Very up and down though isn't it?? Some days I'm feeling like I"m doing really well, but I've had plenty of moments wondering why on earth I have done this, and feeling overwhelmed by the recovery ahead.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I think everyone wonders why they got themselves into this especially during the first few weeks. It doesn't last though.

I remember waking up in tears in the middle of the night, and I thought the days and nights would never pass, but pass they did, and they will for you too.

Now I'm eight weeks out, sleeping better, cutting down on my meds, and feeling almost normal. It WILL happen.
 
Last night I found a sleeping position that was reasonably comfortable for me :) Although I'm pretty happy about that I want to make sure I'm not doing any damage - can anyone offer advice please?
I am putting a pillow under each of my legs (lengthwise). They are not 'properly' elevated, but I did put the pillow right up under my thigh so that it wasn't just bending my knee onto the pillow (hope that makes sense). The pillow goes down the length of my leg. This seems to put my legs in a more comfortable and straighter position - meaning they don't roll out, and is also giving my back some relief. Does this sound OK to continue?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Sounds good to me. When I went to my six-week appointment, I asked the PA when it was ok to lose the pillow. He said to just do what is comfortable.

When I did use the pillow, I would start it in one position, but inevitably, when I woke up, it was somewhere else. I'm not exactly an expert, but I think the pillow is for comfort only. I should add, though, that I slept on my side.

I think they tell us to avoid putting it just under the knee because that makes it more difficult to get full extension.
 
What a way to come home-not! You are doing well now. The key is rest, elevate and ice. Exercise when you can...energy wise. I will check in later!
 
thanks @Wednesday. I was thinking there was nothing obvious - but I'd hate to think Im doing something that is going to cause me a problem in the long run.
@waitingtogarden. No, it was not a nice return to home, but starting to get into a rhythm now, and feeling better. I've really been putting PT on the back burner and resting quite a lot. Allowing myself to settle into home really. Time has come to include my exercises into my daily routine a bit more regularly now.
Still haven't quite worked out my perfect pain protocol, but I think that is because pain isn't constant, it is changing. Late yesterday and today, I've been starting to get sharp pains around the joint area - almost like some ligaments/tendons are coming to life and saying 'hey, what have you done to me'!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I did the same thing at about four weeks. It was the ONLY way I could get any restful sleep. Desperate times call for desperate measures! I'm 8 weeks out now and sleeping in any position I want which happens to be my stomach. All of a sudden it just happened. I went to bed on my back with legs on pillows one night and woke up on my tummy in my favorite position. I haven't slept on my back since. It won't be long for you.


BTKR 1 April 2014
 
I've been sleeping on my side with a pillow in between my knees. My PT said that was ok.
 
Slept pretty well last night. Moved position a few times, and my usual wake up about 3am but only for about 15 min. Woke at 7am, so I had nearly 7 hours straight. Moving slightly better each day, but pain is still up and down. I think each time my pain lessens, I work harder on my exercises which causes pain to go up - maybe I need to be a bit more consistent rather than trying harder?? The reality of the long road ahead is setting in now, and thinking that my life lesson to learn here is patience!! LOL


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
7 hours straight sleep! Congratulations. I have to say I am a bit envious...I look forward to getting there. Be careful not to overdo it with your exercises - I did that today as well.
 
Had an 'over-did-it' day yesterday. I had an afternoon visitor, and enjoyed myself - but after they left I realised that I had gone 7 hours without pain relief, and pain returned in abundance! Although, I didn't physically do to much - I did get up and down more often, and wasn't icing and elevating. I had a bad sleep with pain, and woke up a bit frustrated that I feel like I have wasted a recovery day - I feel a bit worn out without it being due to correct exercises etc. Hmmph - back on track today. I realised this morning that I'm going to run out of panadeine forte if I dont' get to a doctor today, so going to a GP to update pain meds. Day 11 post op, so I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself, but I want to recover well, and as quickly as possible.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Better day today. I've spent most of my time elevated and icing. Had more visitors yesterday, but was much better at managing it, and sticking to my own timetable. Sat I went to a GP for more pain medication and he changed around what the hospital had told me to do - upped the slow release to help to reduce the amount of codeine I'm needing. It seems to be working well. Night time is still a bit of aa problem, but last night I took a sleeping tablet which is what the GP suggested, and I slept much better. Still awoke for a couple of hours in the middle of the night, but slept well either side of that.
Today I feel that I am walking much better on the elbow crutches, and that my knee is going through a full walking motion. I even walked a few steps not leaning on the crutches at all!!! Wed is my surgeon appt and stitch removal, also a physio appointment. I'll know more about how I'm going after them.
 
You're doing great. Definitely, give your knees some rest time. They will thank you for it.
 
Sounds like you are doing good! Hang in there.
 
Follow up day today! Just finished with the physio who is very happy with my progress and ROM. Waiting for surgeon now. So far so good!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom