Bilateral TKR Spider on the recovery side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woo hoo - double ticks today. Stitches out and wound looks really good. Both surgeon and physio are really happy with my progress - they said it was EXCELLENT for someone who had a bilateral done. Physio did a vague measurement of ROM, and once it was over 90 degrees he didn't bother measuring properly because he was pleased, and very happy with how straight they were. My pain has really settled in the last 2 days as well. Feeling good that I'm on track now :)
 
Still doing pretty well I think. My biggest struggle is pain at night, and upon wakening. I have been lent a 'niagara' massage pad for my back, as I have bulged discs and they can be quite painful when I'm sitting in the wrong position for too long. It is great for my back, so tonight I decided to put it under my legs. It appears that the ache I have been battling before going to sleep was lifted within about 5 minutes. It is more of a gentle vibration type massage than anything to vigorous - but I'm hoping this is ok to do? Has anyone else tried this type of therapy for pain relief. The difference before and after is quite significant, so I certainly hope this is an ok thing to do. Is there any comments/experiences/suggestions about whether or not this is ok to continue?? thanks
 
I've not heard of that, but I think if it is deemed a safe thing to use, there will be a RUN on Niagra Massagers!!
Glad that you are progressing so nicely in your recovery !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Used the massage pad in the middle of the night - and it really seems to be helping. Keen to find out whether or not it should be ok to use regularly on my legs. @Josephine ?? Can you help with this at all please?
 
I would have to think if it makes you feel better use it. It will be interesting to hear what the moderators say. My PT used a Tens unit at the beginning of each session on my knee. I loved that. Feel better, Spider!
 
Where on your legs do you use it? Since you are not yet even three weeks out, I think it would be inadvisable as it will irritate already aggravated, inflamed tissues.

I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Spider on the recovery side
)


2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)
 
Sorry @Josephine, I missed your reply!! I will stop using it.

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Spider on the recovery side
)
OK, during the day pain levels would be at a 1-2, but at night (especially the last few), it has increased to about 5 sometimes 6. Sleep is a problem because of this (obviously). I have times of 0 pain,


2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
I am using slow release Tramadol 200mg morning and night, Panadeine Forte (500mg paracetamol/30mg codeine) I take at 8am, then not until about 6pm, 10pm then in the middle of the night when I wake up.
I was given some Endone for when that wasn't enough - but I have since run out.


3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?
I am icing probably about 3-4 hours a day.


4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
elevating for about 4-6 hours depending on what I am doing.

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
Not doing ANY housework (thank you lovely husband), I am walking pretty much only to the bathroom/toilet and the occasional walk around the house if I have been still for awhile.


6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)

I do bending exercises 2-3 X per day. THe one my Physio has me do is to simply sit on a high chair and use the opposite leg to gently bend my knee - once it feels tight to do a gentle bounce. I do about 10 of these normally twice a day. While I am on the chair, I am doing leg lifts - which are simply to bring my leg from hanging off chair bent to straight. I have to hold my quads so that I am not lifting them off of the bed. I also do straightening 2X day which is placing a rolled up towel under my legs just behind heels and letting my legs drop to straight. I also ice while I am doing this.
 
during the day pain levels would be at a 1-2, but at night (especially the last few), it has increased to about 5 sometimes 6. Sleep is a problem because of this (obviously). I have times of 0 pain,
I am using slow release Tramadol 200mg morning and night, Panadeine Forte (500mg paracetamol/30mg codeine) I take at 8am, then not until about 6pm, 10pm then in the middle of the night when I wake up. I was given some Endone for when that wasn't enough - but I have since run out.
Considering your pain levels, this wouldn't appear to suit you. I suggest you ask your GP if you can change to ordinary Tramadol 50-100mg 4hrly with paracetamol also 4 times a day.
I am icing probably about 3-4 hours a day.
elevating for about 4-6 hours depending on what I am doing.
That's good.
Not doing ANY housework (thank you lovely husband), I am walking pretty much only to the bathroom/toilet and the occasional walk around the house if I have been still for awhile.
Excellent!
exercises 2-3 X per day.
sit on a high chair and use the opposite leg to gently bend my knee, once it feels tight to do a gentle bounce. 10 2 times a day
leg lifts straightening 2X day with rolled up towel under heels and letting my legs drop to straight
Is this all? That's terrific! But it reinforces my suggestion that your present pain meds aren't suiting you. In the mean times, I suggest you only do your exercises one a day and have one day off completely every week.
 
Thanks for your advice!! very helpful. Yes I'm lucky my physio is great. We don't have regular PT like it appears you do in US, we leave hospital with instructions and exercises and have a physio appointment every 2 weeks and they check progress and change exercises. He seemed pretty happy with my progress, and he is really happy with my strength - so focus is on gently increasing ROM.
 
Well, my daughters 18th party was on the weekend. Its was 3½ weeks post op, rather than 2½ weeks that I thought. I went!! yay!! I spent the entire day in bed icing and elevating, left home about 7 pm, and stayed there until about 10.30. I spent the majority of my time sitting in a chair with my legs on another chair. I spent yesterday in bed with lots of ice to help recover (and I was really tired), but I was happy to pay the consequence, because it just felt too strange to miss this event. Sometimes the mental health benefits are worth overdoing it a little :)
 
Follow up physio appointment today. My ROM was an easy 105 without pushing too hard - YAY. Physio was very very happy with me. Change in exercises now. I'm allowed to put a small amount of weight on my ankle while I do leg lifts, and I'm starting on the exercise bike :). My legs are quite straight but left is slight problem child, so he wants me to keep doing straightening as well. He wants me to only use one cane now as well. This is awesome because it means I can carry stuff!!! While I'm at home inside, I can walk around using nothing for short distances. So although to me it feels like this is taking forever, and I'm not getting anywhere - after this visit I'm thinking that its all going really well given I'm only 4 weeks out!
 
to me it feels like this is taking forever, and I'm not getting anywhere - after this visit I'm thinking that its all going really well given I'm only 4 weeks out!
Correct on all counts. Yes 4 weeks feels like forever, but really you've only just started, yes it feels like nothing's happening but your body is in fact frantically healing as fast as it can -- it's just that there's so much to do! Things will just continue to improve!
 
My left has always been a little 'behind the eight ball'. I'm getting a bit of pain on the outside of my knee, running down to my ankle at night as well. Flexion is the same as the right, but it doesnt' get quite as straight. It is still more swollen I think. In the surgery report, the surgeon mentioned that he had to do a more extensive bone graft, as he had to take an old screw out of my tibia. I'm assuming the additional work, just added some additional insult to that knee!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom