Bilateral TKR Spider on the recovery side

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks @kneeper - you know, I have great kids who always help when I ask, so its really my own fault. I was feeling bad because my husband who is obviously back at work and travelling alot was starting to look exhausted and run down. We're in the journey together, and none of them complain when I ask for help - not many people have that so I'm very grateful. I think I need to frequent this forum more again to remind myself that there is NO WAY I am going to be feeling 100% at 3 months out. I think that is probably what I've been getting frustrated at even though I know its stupid.
I'm pretty lucky ROM is good, everyone is happy. Physio told me that I couldn't expect to be in a better place at this stage - so I'm just being silly. Back to reality for me :).
Upside is that physio told me he has no issue with me getting back on a horse. I'm hanging out for that day - but I need to ride my daughters horse (who will happily let me mount and dismount from my ladder :) ), and I'll just be doing a tiny bit to start to get balanced again. Just waiting for her to have time to help me do it. That day will be a real celebration!
 
You are pushing way too hard!!!! I was there a week ago. Everyone else has gone on but I am still puffing along. Really ill at my fitbit because it says I am sedentary since I am moving slowly. Ugh! Low down, take your meds, and get your legs up.
 
Yeah, it's really a gradual process of getting back to normal even with one knee. You're sort of at partial strength for several months. You can do more, but not everything yet.
 
Hi @Spider I just thought I'd pop by and see how you are doing. It seems like yr doing fine but running of patience. I can understand this. It is frustrating when your mind is telling yes you can but yr knees have other ideas. You are so early in yr recovery still. 12weeks is nothing in a bilateral TKR. By the way I think you're ever so brave having had that done. Well done for that!

Just keep,taking the meds as you need them, ice and elevate as often as is feasibly possible. You will get there. You have a lot of strength and determination which always helps x x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xxxxx
 
Still going here - slowly does it!! Patience and Fatigue are really my main problems. I still get night knee pain, but I have increased my pain meds, and I'm mostly sleeping better since then and feeling a bit better. Still having overdone it moments, and frustrations, but in general not too bad.
Is the fatigue still normal at this point? I keep falling asleep about 3-4pm sometimes by accident!! This is VERY not like me.
 
I'm struggling with energy drain a bit too. :( If you fall asleep you probably need the rest. I think it should get better in the next few weeks.
 
Fingers crossed for that, I'm feeling a bit pathetic with my tiredness. Had some Drs blood tests a week ago for my migraines, and one thing that came back was a lowish Vit D level. Nothing major but on the low side, wondering whether or not that has something to do with my fatigue. Might start a Vit D supplement, can't hurt.
 
The Vitamin D may be part of your fatigue problem. But...those tired feelings are quite common for 6 months or even longer after a major surgery like this one. It is a tremendous stress on your body...plus you had TWO knees done, so it's even a bit more than a single TKR. Take some "patience" pills and hang in there!! As the months go by, you will continue to get stronger.
 
Wouldn't it be nice if someone invented us a patience pill to swallow, one that worked. Take care, I sometimes think we all get so tired because we have been in pain along time and that alone exhausts our energy. :alarm:
 
I had a day today with children away and husband away on work - great I though, I can work, and then get all these chores done. Hmmmph!!! I didn't even get my work done, spent most of the day on the lounge and slept for about an hour in the afternoon. I think my body is clearly trying to tell me something.
I tell you @Sudibar if someone invents a patience pill, I'm sure my husband will sign me up for it!! (and hello fellow Aussie!!)
 
Its been awhile since I've been around but really wanted to share two things in particular.

1. I HAD MY FIRST HORSE RIDE - YAHOO!!!! It was short, but i'm very motivated to get stronger for it now. So good for the soul, and I'm confident that I'll be back riding properly again soon (ish)

2. I wanted to share some real benefits I have been having from kinesiotaping. I have found that using Rocktape on my knees - I can go longer through the day before that stiffness and pain starts to happen. I have also been getting some muscle spasms and pain down the outside of my left knee and down my calf a little. With the tape on at night, I need very little pain relief and my spasms don't occur. Probably one of those things that works for some and not others - just wanted to share something I have had real success with.

Hope you're all doing well!!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hooray for the first ride! Does feel great to be back in the saddle, doesn't it? The only thing I really worried about was posting but it hasn't been a problem so far, nor has mounting or discounting, though I don't care much for coming down mostly on the right leg. But since the old bad leg is now the good leg, I know this won't be an issue permanently.

I was having trouble the other day with my right ankle--nothing to do with the new knee, and let the stirrup down one hole on that side. Did the trick at least for riding the gelding, today i'll see if it also works for the mare, as she is shaped like a barrel, bless her.
 
Yes I think dismounting would have been easier with one good leg! :). Hmmm might have to be a bit more careful of stirrup length - its probably more important at the moment. @jeano did you return fairly slowly - I'm thinking of doing little often to see how I can build up my balance again.
 
This is awesome ladies!! I can't wait to get back on!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, I'm sort of easing back into it in one sense. I haven't ridden terribly far or long yet, not more than around an hour or three miles or so. But I was riding at five weeks after the first knee and a couple of days before four weeks with the current knee. Between knees I could and did ride 10 miles or so, but it made the unrepaired knee hurt like hell. Then when I broke my ankle I didn't ride for about 8 weeks,and didn't have a whole lot of time to get much riding done before the second knee.
 
It gives me the hope that I need. This is a lot harder than I could ever imagine doing. I knew it was a life changing decision. I'm not sorry that I did this either. But I hate not being with my horse and riding. I am doing better each day and look forward to being able to drive and mess with the horses. I look at as many posts as I can and am encouraged by each of you!! So I take each day as a challenge and go forward.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad this can give you some hope @appaloosa girl ! I am 4 1/2 months out - and I tell you, at your stage I couldn't even imagine getting close to a horse! I had my daughter bring them to the house so I could just pat and smell :). I am very determined to get back to riding bigger and better - so I hope I can show you that once you are over the initial horrible phase its not too bad. I only JUST feel like I've turned a corner - so its a long long road!
 
My husband goes and gets my horse. He puts him in the arena and I mess with him on the other side of the fences. He's a good boy but you never know with horses. Being only 2 weeks out I have a bit of time before I can get a ride in there. But going to the barn helps a lot. I plan on going out tomorrow to run my fingers in his mane and I might groom him a little bit.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi all, 6 month check in from me - and the news is all GREAT!! I had my surgeon checkup, and he is really happy, physio is happy. My bend isn't fantastic, but they said this will still continue to improve over the next 12 months, but my leg shape/size doesn't lend itself to great bend anyway (they didn't have great bend prior to surgery).

I just spent 4 days at a horse expo - walking around, up and down stairs and it was only the last day I felt I'd had enough :). Going up stairs is great, still a little careful going down, but getting better every time. I have NO NIGHT PAIN at all - this is huge. I'm so happy, and still have another 6 months of improving to go.

Biggest news is yesterday I rode my own horse for the first time. So good for the soul, I had to come back and share with people who will understand the achievement. No doubt, dismounting is still going to be my major issue but well on the way to a normal, and improved world for me :) :) :). Enjoyed the view from between those ears :)
[Bonesmart.org] Spider on the recovery side
[Bonesmart.org] Spider on the recovery side
 
oh apologies for how big the pictures were - I thought I'd resized them :chinstroke:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom