TKR Speedy2 Knee's First Birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toothfairy it's so lovely to hear from you and what great advice you have given - thank you so much. It's so good to be able to ask others who have been in the same position. I wanted to rate your post friendly and informative but you can only choose one!
I 'cycle' every day now and have managed to build up to 15 mins at a time, usually at a distance of 3k so, as you say, hoping this will strengthen those muscles and help with more ROM which is still only 90%:bicycle1: and also with the tight band feeling.
How are you? Hope your absence at Bonesmart is because you are progressing well and are enjoying life!
Hi to everyone else too, hope you are all well and progressing well with your knees.
Big hugs
Speedy2
 
TGIF My Lady! :cheers2:
Don't forget tomorrow is "Switch your Medication for Information Saturday!" :martini: :martini: :egypdance: :egypdance:
 
Hello Speedy 2,
Thanks for your PM. I hope you are having a good week and I will keep my fingers crossed for a good report from your consultants appointment tomorrow.
Hugs Toothfairy x :egypdance:
 
Just wanted to say how pleased I am.:happydance: I've just come back from my hospital appointment with consultant. I have been very worried as my ROM is still only 90% no matter what I do to improve it. However, without going into great detail, my consultant is delighted with my progress so far (he had to do lots more work than he had anticipated) but wants me to concentrate on strength and stamina through the exercises I have been doing, the exercise bike, and 'uping' the walking.
Question for Josephine @everyone!!!!!!, ,and anyone else. Was so relieved when my consultant said that my ROM would never be more than 100 , which is what he got it to during op, and not to worry (phew), that I didn't ask him why, when so many people are talking about getting theirs to 130%? i'm not at all bothered now, but just wondered what the reason was as it may also be the case for others.
Thanks
Speedy 2:yay:
 
Because that's all he got it to on the table! Usually, when the patient is unconscious and all the muscles are relaxed, whatever ROM he can get then is a pretty good indicator of what's possible.
 
Thanks Josephine for that. Perhaps there are others worrying unnecessarily like I was.
I hope this will help others too, although I know we are all different.
Thank you
Speedy2
 
Hi Speedy 2
I am delighted that you got a good report. You can relax and enjoy slowly building your stamina now.
I'm so pleased that you don't have anything to worry about.
Hugs, Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :bicycle2: :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks Toothfairy. You are always so supportive. Yes I am so relived but still slightly curious why my surgeon only got 100 degree ROM during op. Perhaps it was because the knee was in such a poor state? Who knows but at least now I know it will not happen. I always said it would not bend!!
Have a good weekend
:flwrysmile: Speedy2
 
Well another important event to report. I have just driven (a short distance) for the first time in nearly twelve months. I thought I would feel nervous but I didn't. It felt sooooooooo good. Another milestone.
I was worried my lack of ROM might stop this from happening but it felt just fine.
Big hugs
Speedy2
 
I know I am repeating myself but could Josephine Roy Gardiner explain why the surgeon only got my ROM to 100 degrees during my TKR and will this limit what I am able to do??
As I previously said, I'm not too worried about this but would just like to know what to expect (or not as the case may be). Also I continue to use my exercise bike as this helps with tightness on my knee, stretches, rocking chair (thanks to Roy) and heel slides but is there anything that could damage my knee if I have such a limit ROM?I have tried to research this on the internet so that I don't have to bother you again but I am having no luck and trust your advice more anyway.
Thanks
Speedy2
 
Well, I don't really know why. Could be any number of reasons like shortened ligaments, right soft tissue (other than ligaments) or bones just not being compliant with full movement. Really it's something you'd have to ask him as he's the only one that really knows.
 
I haven't been measured in ages, but my guess is I'm somewhere around 115. Pre-surgery I was around 110--and had been for many years. So my guess for you is that some things--squatting, getting on and off the floor etc. will be challenging. But if you're like me, the knee won't hurt and will move comfortably and easily within the range you have.
 
could Josephine Roy Gardiner explain why the surgeon only got my ROM to 100 degrees during my TKR and will this limit what I am able to do??
Jo is the expert, what she says :iagree: and it wouldn't matter if I didn't, she'd be right anyway.

AFAIK there should be no reason why you shouldn't get a full range of movement by consistently doing stretches every day. The prosthetic doesn't have limits. Anyway, as Jo says, ask the surgeon if you can.
 
perhaps there are others worrying unnecessarily like I was.
Many worry unnecessarily about numbers. If you can do what you want to do, and you can do it without pain, what is a number?

but is there anything that could damage my knee if I have such a limit ROM?
Those implants are strong little boogers---it would take a great deal of force and trauma to do it significant spending.

It may take some time to gain some ROM---your muscles may really, really be tight, your tendons and ligaments may also be equally tight, so this ROM, which may be gained, may take some time, if it is gained at all.

As long as you are happy with your life and your lifestyle, why worry about it?
 
Thank you all for your replies.
Unfortunately, I was just so relieved when the consultant said that he had only got a ROM of 100 degrees during the TKR all of my questions went out of the window as I was sure he would be recommending further treatment. As I wont be seeing him again for another twelve months, unless something goes wrong, I thought I would ask all of my Bone smart friends who are so much more knowledgeable than myself if they could shed any light.
That was exactly the sort of information I was hoping to get referee54, Roy Gardiner and kneeper, so thank you.
And you are right - I am not bothered just so very grateful that I am able to do so much more now than I could. I was just curious.
Thank you again
:flwrysmile: Speedy 2
 
Hi Speedy 2, I'm just catching up from my phone while I'm away. Brilliant news about driving.
Well done. You are doing very well. I'm so pleased for you.
I will catch up properly when I am home.
Hugs Toothfairy x :spin:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom