TKR Speedy2 Knee's First Birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your support referee54. I was wondering what you would recommend for exercises re my return to work? I know work itself will be exhausting but the thought of not being able to do exercises worries me - now that's something I never thought I'd say. My husband and son would die of shock! :rotfl: I seize up so easily. If only they had left a little hole for WD40 the problem would be solved! Does this ever cease or something we just have to get used to?
As always your comments are most gratefully received.
 
Hope you enjoy my guilty pleasure Carol @patient99. I love beautiful smellies and they have loads to choose from. I also bought some Clarks boots which is great because you can try them, actually wear them to see if they are comfortable and return the worn boots if not. As it happened they were lovely but just gives you confidence to try. Let me know what you think!
You might have to sit on your cash card though!
Speedy2
:flwrysmile:
 
Good morning Speedy, how are you today?
I am having a lazy morning after my return to work this week.
I have found my scar has been sore and sensitive, maybe wearing different trousers? Do you have any discomfort from your scar?
I rub mine twice a day with oil and also use a gentle moisturiser. But sometimes it still gets dry and sensitive.
Have a very happy Friday,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :bicycle2:
 
Toothfairy and speedy2 - I noticed that we are all in the UK. I'm in Wiltshire, South West.
Naughty QVC luring Les Vulnerables into its clutches!!
I'm sticking with Amazon rather than indulge myself too much with the personal things! I also enjoy watching the Craft and Create channel, although the presenters are very irritating :doh:
 
Hi Speedy,
I have popped by to see how you are doing and see you are making great progress. Well done you.
Picking up some of the things you have mentioned, using your stick. If you need to use it when you go back to work I am sure they have to make all reasonable adjustments to accommodate that. They can't just tell you not to use it for health and safety reasons. If that is a problem they should find you other duties till you no longer need your stick otherwise it would be discrimination under the disability discrimination act
I know what you mean about walking down slopes. I still find that a bit uncomfortable but it gets better with time and practice and leg strength. Keep on cycling to build those muscles .
I have just started driving again. I was strongly advised at the hospital to contact my car insurance company. I did that after knee one and was told that they did not need to know. They advised me to contact DVLA, I looked on their website and could find nothing about notifying them about knee replacements but I phoned and checked anyway. They said they didn't need to know and it was up to me to ensure that I didn't drive until I was medically cleared to do so. As I am still with the same insurance company I didn't bother phoning them again this time. Having said all that all insurance companies are different so it might be worth a quick call but if they tell you to inform DVLA you can give that a miss.
I was given the all clear by my surgeon to drive each time at my 8 week review appointment. The first time I drove I didn't go to far and took my husband with me in case I changed my mind and needed him to drive back. As soon as I had a go I was fine. Take it gently and you will be fine too. It will be another kneechievement. Thanks Bionic woman2
Have a great day,
Hugs Toothfairy x :happydance:

Hello Toothfairy! Happy day after Thanksgiving ! I am really intrigued with your post about driving. I am going to talk to my insurance rep tomorrow and ask if a replacement knee affects my coverage.

How far along are you in your recovery? And how much ROM do you have? I presume you OS gave you the go ahead and getting back behind the wheel is just about my most important goal. I am at 85 percent flexion with some extra effort ? Do you know where I need tone to drive?



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi tmwillia
I am 13 weeks post op with my right knee and almost 39 weeks post op with my left. I have a good ROM with both, not been measured recently but somewhere around 125/130 flexion and 0 extension.
I did get clearance from my surgeon before driving. The best way to judge whether you think you will manage to drive (in my opinion) is to sit in the car and press the pedals and see how it feels. First of all there is the challenge of getting in and out of the drivers seat.
I did this each time, just sat in the car on the driveway and pressed pedals. I didn't start to drive till about 8 weeks each time but I did have the luxury of my husband being available to ferry me around as needed.
It sounds like you are making good progress with your recovery.
What country are you in? I ask because here in the UK I found driving more difficult after my right TKR than my left but it might be the opposite way round if you are in the USA. It also depends on whether you drive a manual transmission (stick shift) or automatic.
I hope that is helpful.
Have a good day,
Toothfairy x
 
Hi tmwillia
I am 13 weeks post op with my right knee and almost 39 weeks post op with my left. I have a good ROM with both, not been measured recently but somewhere around 125/130 flexion and 0 extension.
I did get clearance from my surgeon before driving. The best way to judge whether you think you will manage to drive (in my opinion) is to sit in the car and press the pedals and see how it feels. First of all there is the challenge of getting in and out of the drivers seat.
I did this each time, just sat in the car on the driveway and pressed pedals. I didn't start to drive till about 8 weeks each time but I did have the luxury of my husband being available to ferry me around as needed.
It sounds like you are making good progress with your recovery.
What country are you in? I ask because here in the UK I found driving more difficult after my right TKR than my left but it might be the opposite way round if you are in the USA. It also depends on whether you drive a manual transmission (stick shift) or automatic.
I hope that is helpful.
Have a good day,
Toothfairy x
Thanks for the quick response. What time is it there? Its4:380 am, been up since 1:00 can't fall back yo sleep even though I'm Sooo tired. Leg is miserable too much on my feet today. PT tomorrow.
I'm in the US.
My car is automatic trans. Crossing fingers here,



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I will be thrilled if I am back to driving at 8 weeks and at the rate I'm going I think that will be a possibility. As sugges ted I will try sitting in the car to get the feel of the brake. We have an automatic, but my own little Smart car is semi-automatic.
:bicycle1:
 
tmwillia it is 11:31 am here. I hope you get back to sleep.
As you are in the USA you should be fine to drive with your left leg as soon as you are comfortable getting in and out the car and not on too many strong meds but I would always check with your OS first!
It is so easy to overdo things then pay the price. We have all been there. I was really grumpy on Wednesday evening after a busy day!
Hi Mazza sounds like you are doing very well. Driving gives you back some independence.
Have a good day both, I'm off to do the food shop,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :bicycle2: :flwrysmile:
 
Spedy---when you return to work, I would take exercises very gently, as your PT will naturally be your work day. Gentle stretching and such will help---as the normal day-to-day activities will be your PT. On Saturday, when I went back to the classroom, I would go to the gym and stretch and cycle---I believe that you can cycle almost any day---provided there is no or very, very little resistance. I also stretched at the gym and sat in a sauna to warm up the quads and hamstrings---then stretched some more.

Make sure that yo ice and elevate as much as you can.

On Sundays, after returning to teaching, I did absolutely nothing; I went to church and then iced and elevated the rest of the day.
 
Hello Toothfairy, Mazza and tmwillia

Hope you are all having a good knee day.
Yesterday I stepped back into the scary world of work for half a day. I was pleased my knee coped better than I thought it would. However, I was very tired (it was a long half day!) when i got home and felt emotionally exhausted. I had an early night except I couldn't sleep when i got there:beg:

Regarding driving, i took advice from the Toothfairy and tried sitting in the car and feeling the pedals before attempting to drive. Because my ROM is only 90 and unlikely to improve beyond 100, just getting into the car can be a challenge. However, my first drive was not off my drive (in case i made a mess of it as I have been unable to drive for nearly 12 months) but my husband drove to a quietish road I am familiar with and it felt just wonderful (I was about 12 weeks post TKR). I have driven several times since and feel absolutely fine, the most difficult thing is getting in and out - not very elegant. Perhaps I just have an ejector button fitted:happydance:


I'm sorry that you are having difficulty sleeping @tmwilla. I know exactly how you are feeling as I'm now 15 weeks and still haven't slept completely through the night yet although its much better now. It will get better.

We will all look back at this time with fondness someday realising, as I have recently done, that it's the catalyst to a wonderful new life.

Have a wonderful weekend
Big hugs to you all
Speedy2:flwrysmile:
 
Thankyou referee54 for that advice. I will do just that. My exercise bike has definitely aided my recovery and when I don't do it I'm Mrs concrete leg all over again. The stretches also help such a lot. It's now a matter of combining life with my knee instead of the other way around.
Thank you so much for all of your support and encouragement.
Speedy2
 
Good luck with your return to work this week, take it gently and rest, rest, rest before and after work and of course ice, ice , ice.
Hugs, Toothfairy xxxx
 
Good luck return to work twin. :friends: Yes I'm up and unable to sleep the day before going into a classroom filled with 25 kindergartners. Why would I be asleep? :rotfl: :skep: I hate when my body does this, but I expected it. So, I'll sleep when I get home. :thud:

Hey, I was wondering... :umm: Think we can call in sick? :rotfl:

Have a great day back. :flwrysmile: Should it get rough, just say to yourself 6 days till Switch Your Medication For Information Saturday! :martini:

Hear Hear :cheers:
 
Hi Bionic woman 2It's such a big day isn't it? I'm not sure which emotion I'm feeling as they're all mixed up and doing somersaults in my tummy. A reason to call in sick?:heehee: I'm part time this week but will be glad to get the first week under my belt.
Hope it goes well for you. Will be thinking about you.
Big Hugs
:friends:
 
Thanks Toothfairy - you're always there to sprinkle your magic dust and make me feel better.
I hope you have a good week to.
Big hugs
Speedy2:flwrysmile:
 
Speedy, I'm fulltime but they have a sub in with me this week, so that should help. 3 weeks on and then a 2 week break. I can do it!

Good luck lady :friends:

Gotta go... :bicycle2:
 
Well, feel exhausted, tearful, stressful and lost!!!! Hope you've had a better first day Bionic woman 2. I was definitely flying solo!Very, very early night tonight - just hope I get some sleep.
Thank you Sue Dabber - how thoughtful of you to wish me well.Hope things are going well with you.
Just to end my 'perfect' day my smiley faces don't work again either.
Think I need 'information' Bionic woman2. I'll just go and have a little weep and prepare myself for tomorrow.
xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom