TKR Speedy2 Knee's First Birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Toothfairy, lovely to hear from you. Yes i'm thrilled about the driving - another part of normal life returning.
Hope you have had a good break and haven't over done those knees.:)
Big hugs
Speedy2
 
Hi Speedy 2,
I am home now. My knees have gradually got a bit stiffer as the week progressed. I am however pleased to have survived a 9 hour car journey on the way up and an 8.5 journey home without too much discomfort.
My husband did all the driving and we stopped a couple of times on the way. He parked at the far end of the car park so we had a longer walk. It's good to be home and back into my normal exercise routine.
Hope all is going well with you, hugs Toothfairy x :friends: :bicycle2:
 
Hi Toothfairy,
Lovely of you to drop by.
I bet your knees were stiff after that journey. I think we could all do with having little holes at the side of our knees for inserting WD40 in. I'm sure that would help! What do you think?
Had good and bad days this week, nothing like it used to be but just disappointing when the old knee refuses to stop feeling like a brick which impedes walking.
Have a good weekend
Big hugs
Speedy2
 
Hi Speedy 2, how are you doing?
It has been very cold. I have had a busy week. I can't believe I go back to work on Tuesday. Only for the morning but I am sure that will be enough.
I'm on the countdown to retirement now, only 5.5 years to go!
Have a great weekend, hugs, Toothfairy x :dancy: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Toothfairy,
Lovely to hear from you and glad you've had a busy week - so long as it was doing nice things!
I will be thinking of you on Tuesday, I'm going in Thursday afternoon to acclimatize myself and also for a meeting and will begin the following Monday.
Unfortunately, I can't retire for 13 yrs as they have upped the retirement age and unless a lottery win comes along can't see it being before then:boohoo:
Have been able to go for a few nice walks this week as the weather here as been lovely. However, today my leg just doesn't want to walk at all. Perhaps I've overdone it?Not sure. Perhaps it's starting to panic!:umm:
When you returned to work last time what exercises did you continue to do? I'm concerned about stopping mine as i so easily seize up and then find it difficult to walk. However, I know I wont have much time in a morning. Any suggestions?

Have a great weekend and enjoy every minute. I've bought two lottery tickets so will share with you if i'm lucky!
Enjoy Strictly:flwrysmile:
 
Hi speedy2 just read your post about what exercises to do when you return to work. Hope you get some useful ideas. At 9 mths I've run out of things to do to try and loosen up my knee. Also as my non operated knee is not in good shape I try to find exercises that wont aggravate it. This means I've stopped using my pedals - result operated knee unhappy, non operated knee happy. You just can't win. Carol
 
Hi speedy2 just read your post about what exercises to do when you return to work. Hope you get some useful ideas. At 9 mths I've run out of things to do to try and loosen up my knee. Also as my non operated knee is not in good shape I try to find exercises that wont aggravate it. This means I've stopped using my pedals - result operated knee unhappy, non operated knee happy. You just can't win. Carol
 
Hi Speedy 2,
It's a thought returning to work, not a good one.
Last time when I returned to work I just did a few bends before I got out of bed and then did 10 minutes on my exercise bike before my shower. Getting on my bike before work didn't last long. I did however make sure I used the stairs instead of the lift at work, got up and walked around a little as often as possible at work and did my full exercises once I came home. I also was swimming regularly. I haven't been swimming this time yet. My wound has finally totally healed this week, I had a pesky little bit at the top that was 95% healed for weeks and was advised not to swim till it was 100 %.
All you can really do when you return to work is try to keep moving as much as is realistic.
Looking forward to a bit more glitz and glamour shortly.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :egypdance:
 
Hi Carol @patient99
These knees don't make it easy for us do they? I'm sorry you're having so much trouble which has resulted in limiting what exercises you can do to improve your knee. I'm trying anything and everything - a bit desperate really - but as work is looming anything is worth a try.:umm:

Toothfairy i was rather thinking i'd do an American Smooth before my shower followed by a Rumba - just as a quick warm up. Thought that this might loosen the old knee a bit before work, possibly a Tango at lunchtime and a Quickstep down the corridor as I leave then I could really step it up when I get home. What do you think? The only problem I foresee is the costume changes:rotfl:
Perhaps you could join in Carol?
Have a great weekend ladies.
:flwrysmile:
 
speedy2
I couldn't agree more with all of the above advice. I'm just three weeks post op and already feeling SO frustrated and uncomfortable. As I'm usually very active (although not sporty) I am still astounded at the amount of time it takes me to do what used to be simple and fast. Also the time I have to spend on resting, icing, elevating, icing, exercising, crying, laughing and round and round it goes.
It has to be so true that we all heal at a different rate, depending on our age, fitness, size, pain threshold.
I have a friend who has gone through the TKR three times and she is still positive about her recovery but never kept anything back from me about how damned painful this would be. I phoned her at 8 days post-op and all she could hear from this end was a gibbering, blubbering noise as I couldn't even get the words out to ask her how she ever got through it. :sos: Her mantra: It's just a limb and since it's still there it has to get better.

Keep regular contact with Bonesmarties; I have made it my bible since the day I found it. I just wish we had the chance to hug each other in reality. :console2:
 
Now that's really got me wondering Mazza...What are you feeling? Surly not dancing the Rumba yet:rotfl:
I remember three weeks post op very clearly and never thought the day would come when I could walk without crutches, get into the shower (it's in the bath and I couldn't bend/raise my leg/knee enough) and do 'normalish' things. However, once I had excepted that my knee was in charge of recovery (that took quite a few weeks!!) I began to very slowly recover. Still got a way to go but i'm so much better than I was before the op. I feel excited that my life is just beginning again...
Take care and good luck in your journey
:flwrysmile:
 
Perhaps I've overdone it?Not sure. Perhaps it's starting to panic!
We have all done it and pushed the "overdone it button." I did it quite a few times!

I'm trying anything and everything - a bit desperate really - but as work is looming anything is worth a try.:umm:
No need for desperation! I also took quite some time to heal and to recover---it was very frustrating, but it finally did come around and make it to my destination!
 
speedy2 Would love to be doing the Rumba :egypdance: (just been watching Strictly on TV), but that will be a long time coming. I can walk without a stick but it's an ungainly movement as I have been instructed to think about placement of my heel with toes upwards, roll through the foot, lift the knee up and then try to lock the knee before taking the next step in the same way. Just too much for me to remember all the time!
To read your Thread all the way has been like seeing you get better and I hope I can do the same and stop being so impatient.
I have been showering, etc. since coming out of hospital apart from the first day when my husband assisted me. I detested getting to the loo and back during the night mainly because I dreaded the whole process of moving in and out of the bed. Perseverance has paid off and now friends tell me I'm either being too brave or doing things they wouldn't contemplate at this stage! :yikes:
I'm determined to walk properly again and look forward to the day when the new knee won't monopolise my every waking thought as it does presently. :tantrum:
Are you far from Wiltshire?
 
Does anybody actually feel physically sick when doing PT? I sometimes feel that I want to faint and that makes me feel nauseous :sick:
 
Thanks referee54 - I'm only attempting to do what the PT showed me on my follow up visit and getting nowhere, but the knee just doesn't do what my brain tells it. :hissy: I'm having a go 1/2 times a day, but that's as much as I can deal with apart from walking about the house.
Think I need some Retail Therapy:happydance:
 
I'm only attempting to do what the PT showed me on my follow up visit and getting nowhere, but the knee just doesn't do what my brain tells it.
Just be gentle and take it easy. You are three weeks removed from very traumatic surgery. It takes time for the knee to recover---until it does, progress is slow---and the harder yo work it, the slower things get.

Think I need some Retail Therapy:happydance:
Yes, you do, and that time will come---still a little early for that yet---but that time will come, and you will hit the stores with gusto!
 
Think I need some Retail Therapy:happydance:
At this time of the year---(and, for most of the year) I stay away from malls. I do some online shopping.

Maybe you can get your retail therapy in that manner! I know it is not the same, but it can help out a little until you get up and going great guns!
 
Hi Mazza,
You don't realise it but believe me when I say (from one who now knows!) you are doing incredibly well - 3 weeks - you're amazing. :yay:
The best advice I can give you is to sit back and 'enjoy'(well, perhaps not enjoy but except!) the ride. It's impossible to push the knee any harder than it wants to go. I understand how frustrating this will be but by excepting it you allow yourself that precious time to recover. After saying that I felt for me the physiotherapy exercises helped enormously - and still do and I do a great impression of a tin-man if I miss any of them which is why I am so concerned about returning to week next Monday.
To be walking around the house without a stick for me was only about 4 weeks ago so see how well you are doing?
Now i never thought i would admit to this in public as it were but regarding retail therapy - I discovered QVC the shopping channel. Don't dismiss it until you've tried it, just choose programmes you like the look of, I'm hooked! It's amazing what you can buy and if you don't like it you can just return it for a full refund. Now that's great retail therapy and will perhaps suffice until you can get to do the real thing!
Give yourself a well deserved pat on the back - you're doing just great.
Take care :flwrysmile:
Speedy2
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom