TKR Speedy2 Knee's First Birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Hello everyone!!!!

Just to report I have had a really good few days! I Have been on quite a few little jaunts, nothing mind blowing but so lovely to do 'normalish' things after such a long time... You will also be pleased to hear that I ice and elevate when I come home. As yet, we have only been 'out' for 2 -4 hours at a time, - by my goodness it feels good! Shame we haven't got a Trader Joe's Bionic woman2, I love the idea about the 'information' - what a shop!!!!

I am now walking using just a walking stick (despite the fact I hate it) but use nothing for most part of the day around the house (I still need it first thing and also if I've been sitting for a long time). Question, I'm now at 12 weeks and still using this aid, is this ok at this stage? I am mindful of my return to work within the next month and, because of health and safety issues, don't think this will be feasible to use. When I try on a jaunt not to use it I tend to waddle, which I definitely don't want to do as this was how I used to walk. Any suggestions???????

kar1963, have you been in any hot tubs recently...

Hope you are all progressing and beginning to enjoy glimpses of our wonderful life to come...
Big hugs
Speedy2
 
If you need it then use it...work will have to wait , if it can. I think I still had my stick then . As much to encourage people to give me a wide berth and sometimes I was just carrying it but didn't feel brave enough to leave it at home
 
Thanks speccybecky, good to know what others do/have done, although I know we should not compare, but it does make me feel better knowing others are similar in progress.For some reason when i'm out and about (we try to go flat places only!) and using my walking stick, I find it very difficult going downhill, now don't get the wrong idea I haven't made a miraculous recovery - downhill might be a slight exaggeration - more slight incline to be more precise!!! Why is this? I definitely feel wobbly - not a good look unless you want to appear intoxicated from Bionic woman2's 'information'.
I've also got gremlins on my thread - disaster- I can't open my emoticons and the window where I put my message is so small, can only see four lines at a time. Is this just me???











difficult going down hill, now don't get the wrong idea here
 
Oh Nooooooooo not the Gremlins. GO AWAY THIS INSTANT! :hissy:

I have difficulty going downstairs, downhill, downtown... you name it. Before my surgery I looked extremely spastic going downstairs in the morning, now I just look OLD! Going up, I look like an OLD two year old. lol

Funny you should mention information :martini: I just came up with a weekly holiday, I hope to put in place next weekend. I'm calling it, Switch-your-meds-for-information-Saturday!:yes!: Care to join me my lady!? :cheers2:
 
Hiya speedy... no hot tub for me lately, it has been a bit cold and rainy in Michigan I don't mind cold but can't sit out in the rain. I did come face to face with my neighbor the other day and the husband said well at least we got to know each other better than the old neighbor, come to find out our new neighbors (the one,I mooned) is the cousin of our old neighbor. I could just imagine that conservation...... oh well
About using the cane ..I don't use mine in the house except when I first wake up or have been sitting to long. I do use it while outside just to steady myself... and downhill incline is a bit tricky still
I am supposed to go back to work Nov 4 but I am having trouble sitting at a desk for more than a hour, my knee gets really tight and stiff so I am not sure how I will be able to elevate and ice at work. Might ask to go back limited hours...we'll see....
Bionic woman2 love the holiday idea I will send hallmark cards lol...
 
kar1963, I'm on my way down to the mailbox. If you mail it tomorrow at my rate of speed, I'll be there just in time to get it straight from the postman's hand. :rotfl: They don't always ring twice ya know. :umm:
Your new theme some is "Blue Moon." :rofsign:Good luck with work next week, yikes. I know all about rigamortis setting in. :yikes:

Good night ladies :sleep:
 
I had the wobbly feeling going down even small slopes. Almost felt like it would give way? I was convinced the surgeon had done something wrong! I think it is because of weak quad muscles and disappears as muscles get stronger. Hang in there
 
Good news - I have my smiley faces back:yay: :spin: :yay: perhaps they ran away with overuse!
Thanks kar1963, speccybecky, and Bionic woman2, for your experiences of using a cane and also walking downhill - well slight incline! It's so reassuring to think 'Oh i'll just ask my Bonesmart friends that' as otherwise you just think it's you and something that you're not doing right.

What a good idea Bionic woman2! Count me in for your 'swop your meds for information Saturday'. I think 'information' has far more healing qualities and so much more fun:cheers:. I sound like I have the same elegant way of going up and downstairs - good job there's no fire!:rotfl:

Hope you manage to either have more healing time off work or reduced hours kar1963. It's so surpring how long it takes but I do feel, at last, i'm heading in the right direction. I'm hoping to return to work towards the end of Nov. Scary thought. Like you my knee swells at the drop of a hat which then makes it very difficult to be comfortable sitting without elevating. I just have this picture in my head of all of us going back to work with our legs raised in the air with ice on when everyone around us is looking in disbelief:snork:

Hope you all have a great day :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Girls
Can't believe all I've missed while I was gone in Washington DC for a conference. Sounds like all of you had an exciting week gathering "information" and getting to know the neighbors :shocked: I can totally relate to still using my cane to go out and about at 12 weeks post surgery. I can tell you many people notice my rainbow shoes but totally miss my cane. Inclines are also challenging, but I managed the jet walks out to the airplanes by taking it slow and steady. Best part of the trip was using the wheelchair service to get through the airport and security checks - NO WAIT!!! Awesome!! Didn't set off any metal detectors either because all of the airports used scans instead :happydance:

Shocked myself when I was sitting on a couch this week and naturally crossed me legs - what the heck, didn't even do that much before. It was so cool to realize I was doing it without realizing I was doing it!!! New Normal here I come!!

Hang in there girls, we are on our way.......
Stacie
 
Hi Stacie Nomorepain67,
So lovely to hear from you and well done you for taking 'such a big step' :heehee: in attending your conference, hope it went well for you. I bet you felt so proud of yourself. Good idea to make use of the wheelchair service - I think this is something you should take advantage of indefinitely, after all there's got to be some advantages after what we've been through!
Yes you're right, it's taken an age but we've started to roll in the right direction -- normality here we come!

I know I've still got a long way to go but so pleased that now I know I AM going to get there. Slightly concerned my ROM doesn't want to move as I definitely do not want any other ops - ever!!!!!!

I think you've beat us all crossing your legs Stacie but as you're such a leader, we will follow...

Have a great day
Big hugs
Speedy2
 
Holy smokes crossing of the legs is still a.fantasy at this point ..I give you high fives Stacie@Nomorepain67 that is huge.. I have pt bright and early so hopefully we loosen the boa constrictor wrapped around my knee. I am really worried I am heading toward a mua as my bend like bad hair seems stuck in the eighties.I wish bend was as good at flex .. well I am off for my walk with the hubby
 
These hubbies are good @karl1963 aren't they. Mine has been brilliant at going out for little walks several times a day, I think he was sick of the road we kept going up and down but never moaned.
Hope your physio went well.
Keep up the good work
 
Good Morning and Hello to ALL!!!

I have been away for awhile not with anything fun like a conference just away. :) I have missed lots but sounds like there is LOTS of progress!!! GREAT job to everyone!!!

Question, I'm now at 12 weeks and still using this aid, is this ok at this stage
Speedy2: I am 11 1/2 weeks and still use a cane in the mornings and after sitting for a long time. Other than that I have dropped it completely. I do think it is super wise to keep it as long as you need it to feel stable, the last thing we want is to fall. You are doing so awesome!

Shocked myself when I was sitting on a couch this week and naturally crossed me legs
Howdy Stacie @Nomorepain67:
I had the exact same thing of crossing my legs happened just the other night. I looked down and realized that I just crossed my leg and was shocked. It was nice to have a moment of normal.

Slightly concerned my ROM doesn't want to move as I definitely do not want any other ops - ever!!!!!!
I echo your concern speedy2 as my ROM is not increasing either. I see my doctor on the 12th of November and I guess will hear what he has to say. He is a BIG proponent of the philosphy on this website of gentle stretching often and he won't even consider, unless there are special circumstances, an MUA until 1 year post-op.

All my best to everyone!!!!!
Brenda
 
Nice to have you back Brenda! Not another leg crosser cycling67, I definitely need to up my game!! I want to be part of that club!:happydance:I bet you've been practicing:loll: !!!!!
Thanks for your advice cycling67 about the cane. We seem to be about the same in our recovery as I also use mine first thing and if i've been sitting but nearly always when out. Hope this decreases.

Just wondered when all of you who are driving knew it was ok to 'have a go'? I still have difficulty getting in and out but that is a ROM problem. Also, did you have to contact your insurance company? It has been nearly a year since i've driven so feeling excited but anxious at the prospect.

Hope you are all having a good day
:flwrysmile:
 
Okay, so I'm doing a combination of :rofsign: (hypothetically) and :console2: as I catch up on this thread. More of this :rotfl: though because we have learned that laughter and "information" :martini: is indeed the best medicine :umm: Well, Oxycodone is up there in the meds department but thank God I'm off of that. :rolleyes:

Speedy, I was :rotfl: :rotfl: :loll: at the thought of elevating my legs at work in my Kindergarten class. Lol. I'd probably look normal to them and I even have a song to go along with it. We can call it "Music and Movement" time Boys and Girls." :whistle: Eh-me, " IN THROW MY LEGS UP IN THE AIR SOMETIMES, SINGING Aaaa-O I NEED SOME ICE Oh!" :rofsign: Ironically, I've already changed the words to that song at school to make it a motivational test taking song for the older grades. We performed it and everything. Think they'll notice the difference? :umm:

On a serious note, I'm still suffering from the tree trunk-Tin Man-syndrome first thing in the morning and throughout the day. I just purchased a portable foot pedal online, it's helping a lot. Now to figure out how to walk around on it,
so my legs will STAY LOOSE! :tada: I may end up looking like a Circus Bear, queue the music... :bicycle2: But at least my legs will be flexible. :heehee:

Have a Kneeeasy day guys :flwrysmile:
 
Oh cycling67 I can cross my ankles, does that count? :tada: lol Ladies, I was able to cross my right surgical leg at about 2 1/2 months out without thinking, then I did the other one. :scary: Now I struggle to get my shoes on since I can't cross my left one yet. Not worrying about it though, I got 1 more month before I have to get dressed in a hurry. :yikes: I'm so nervous that I may have to cancel Thanksgiving as we know it my house, because I return to work that Monday. I cooked for the first time last week and it took me 4 days to get back to normal, but BOY was it worth it! :egypdance: I love to cook, so we'll see if how it goes. I may have my boys cook. :scare:

Oh well, it's only one day and I'm thankful everyday, especially for the days that I make kneechievements! :yes!: Just made that word up folks. Feel free to use it, free of charge. :egypdance:
 
Oh Bionic woman 2 you never fail to make me laugh:rotfl:. Well I think it would be perfectly reasonably to sing your song while iced up - after all it is nearly Christmas! You could even dress as Mrs Santa Claus, more room under that cloak for ice - and your foot peddle!

What a wonderful description - tree-trunk Tin man syndrome. I declare that from this day forth it should be universally know as such as it is such a perfect description:loll:I also think that you should seriously think about patterning your 'walk around pedals' I feel this is a must for all of us. We could go to work wearing those as well and then we could really make colleagues think we've lost it:happydance: We could have our 'information' while were doing it!

Keep up the good work and ideas Bionic woman2
Big Hugs
Speedy2
 
Bionic woman2 you've done it again-kneechievements -another for you to patent You should be bringing in plenty of royalties from all of these. You'll be too rich to know us all soon:heehee:
And what's this another leg crosser - even if lapsed - I'll race you to do it again...:spin:

How about starting a new trend at Thanksgiving and eating something that you can prepare prior to returning to work. Not being an American, perhaps i've just suggested a terrible sin...:whistle: However, you can create some wonderful delicious casseroles which would take the pressure off you. I, like you like cooking, and know how tiring this can be, especially the clearing up! I did this recently when my son and his friends came to see me, took me days to recover:mcoffee:.

Enjoy your day
:martini:
 
I just realized I forgot to tag you into the foolishness going on on my page right now. I'll get right on that... since I haven't perfected my portable peddler, this tricycle will have to do! :bicycle2:
 
Hi Speedy,
I have popped by to see how you are doing and see you are making great progress. Well done you.
Picking up some of the things you have mentioned, using your stick. If you need to use it when you go back to work I am sure they have to make all reasonable adjustments to accommodate that. They can't just tell you not to use it for health and safety reasons. If that is a problem they should find you other duties till you no longer need your stick otherwise it would be discrimination under the disability discrimination act
I know what you mean about walking down slopes. I still find that a bit uncomfortable but it gets better with time and practice and leg strength. Keep on cycling to build those muscles .
I have just started driving again. I was strongly advised at the hospital to contact my car insurance company. I did that after knee one and was told that they did not need to know. They advised me to contact DVLA, I looked on their website and could find nothing about notifying them about knee replacements but I phoned and checked anyway. They said they didn't need to know and it was up to me to ensure that I didn't drive until I was medically cleared to do so. As I am still with the same insurance company I didn't bother phoning them again this time. Having said all that all insurance companies are different so it might be worth a quick call but if they tell you to inform DVLA you can give that a miss.
I was given the all clear by my surgeon to drive each time at my 8 week review appointment. The first time I drove I didn't go to far and took my husband with me in case I changed my mind and needed him to drive back. As soon as I had a go I was fine. Take it gently and you will be fine too. It will be another kneechievement. Thanks Bionic woman2
Have a great day,
Hugs Toothfairy x :happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom