Guest viewing is limited

TKR Speedy2 Knee's First Birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Speedy 2, :goodpost:
I am so pleased for you. It is so good to have a day when things go well and you can see that you are making progress.
It is so good being able to go upstairs walking normally. That is a real milestone. Hopefully you will be able to gradually start doing that regularly. Coming down normally will follow on later.
I hope you don't have any repercussions but if you do it will have been worth it!
Take care and feel proud of yourself,
hugs Toothfairy x :yes: :flwrysmile: :yahoo:
 
Speedy2: YOU ROCK!!! Great job. So proud of you for doing what you did and if you have to rest more than normal for a day, then this progress was worth it.

My PT hasn't even mentioned stairs. I don't have enough bend in my knee, unless completely warm and loosy goosy, to reach leg up unless I use my hip. I did try to do a short stair and was successful. Knee is totally stable. I feel like once I attain ROM and get muscles under control I will just fly.

Thank you for the report and again AWESOME job!!!
 
Great to hear from you both Toothfairy and cycling67. I was so elated yesterday as this felt like a glimpse of life to come (hopefully). I managed the stairs several times yesterday and thought 'way hay' this is it! However, when I went to do the same thing later that evening i couldn't do it so was back to the crutch:boohoo: . Although disappointed, I now know I will be able to do it eventually...I'm also looking forward to 'going out' again soon. Not sure my husband is though, I think he has enjoyed all these months pre and post op where I was unable to go out - he hates shopping although was quite patient yesterday!

Knee a bit sore today but have it elevated and iced so know that will help. Wont it be lovely when we wont need to do this??:yes!:

Hope you all have a great 'knee' day.
 
Thanks @karl1963 -it's great to begin to taste normality.:dancy: I did suffer slightly the next day with swelling etc but elevated and iced! Hope you are well and knee progressing well?

Does anyone have any thoughts on hip/groin pain when trying to sleep?? I had this initially but it seemed to die down a couple of weeks ago only to return with vengeance. I try to sleep on my back but even that last night was uncomfortable. Does anyone else have this problem or had it and can offer any advice? I would be very grateful.
 
Speedy2: As you know I certainly have hip/gluteal pain (I think my piriformis muscle) all of the time but most prevalent when i sleep. It makes it very difficult to turn over in bed. I have tried LOTS of things which sometimes helps and sometimes doesn't. First off I stretch LOTS, especially after an exercist/stretch session i get on my back on the floor and gently pull legs to my chest (as much as I can with limited flexion ROM) and also do piriformis stretches. I use heat and ice, always ending in ice when I go to bed. I also am using Ibuprofen to help which does work but doesn't take it all away. I am figuring that this pain/discomfort is due to the re-alignment of our previous Valgus (knock kneed) position and now being straight. Will take time to 'get used to' new alignment.

If you are like me though, i am not sure I can last another hour with this pain and discomfort let alone weeks and maybe months. But.... there is not much more I can do but keep on trying to do all I can to rest and get better.
 
Hiiiiiiii SPEEDY! :bicycle2:
Great news on your day out! :cheers: :yay: :yay: :yay: Ferris Bueller EAT YOUR HEART OUT! :rofsign: Isn't it wonderful to feel normal and do stuff that other people take for granted. :yes: I drove this weekend :egypdance: I did good, considering I was driving with my right knee that's 4 months old. The challenge was my DWNM, "Driving While NOT Medicated" that was painful. I also went to Trader Joe's one of favorite stores. I dodged kiddie carts and people. I use the cart for balance. I would stiffen up, but all in all I felt good about being "independent." :egypdance: :egypdance:

So congratulations Speedy! We're on the road to success! :cheers:
 
Hi cycling67, yes I think you're right about the leg straightening causing a lot of the problems - it's easy to forget that and just concentrate solely on the knee. I will attempt the lying on the floor exercise. If you don't hear from me again you'll know I couldn't get up off the floor:rotfl: .

We will 'plod' on and will be so proud of ourselves when we get there. We can do this.:friends:


Well Bionic woman 2, haven't you done well?:yay: :happydance: :yay:There will be no stopping you now. This is something I can't wait to do. Trader Joe's sounds great - haven't got one of those here. Don't get spending too much on these shopping trips.:rotfl:
 
I love Trader Joes for the things I can afford. :yes: They have a great variety. The beauty of the place is that you can return ANYTHING you don't like for a refund.... Even WINE :beer: (which will hear by be known as "Information!" Welcome to the Inner-circle. :cheers2: ) The "information" however can only be exchanged. I seldom return anything, but it's good to know. So when you get one by you, check it out!
 
Hi speedy2
What is it with you gals and wanting to get on the floor????????????? If you must, PLEASE be careful!!!! You can do those same things on your bed and at least roll off rather than get stuck :shocked:

Glad you got a taste of freedom and things to come. I've found it helpful to realize my "pain" is not what it was presurgery - now I mostly have muscle and some bone pain which I think comes from things settling into place and using muscles that have been dormant for a very long time.

Today at PT actually felt like I was "exercising" - walked on a tread mill, did some "squats" to help with getting out of chairs and rode the bike for 15 minutes without pain. I can now even begin pedaling most days without needing to rock first - not worth fireworks, but sure works for me :dancy:

Keep on, keeping on - looking forward to the flash mob and the rest of our adventure....
Stacie
 
Stacie: LOL on the floor comment. Yes stretch certainly can be done on bed, i like the floor with harder surface. No trouble getting up for me, as if yet. :). I say that all progress is worth fireworks! Yipee
 
Reading your posts actually made me feel somewhat better and not so alone . I had surgery sept. 5 th . Still not driving, tired. Pam
 
What is it with you gals and wanting to get on the floor????????????? If you must, PLEASE be careful!!!! You can do those same things on your bed and at least roll off rather than get stuck

:loll: That's exactly what I was thinking. The thought of getting down on the floor is like me standing on top of Mount Everest attempting to step down... and God help me get back up! The tub is another fantasy of mine. Someone mentioned the hot tub to remedy sore muscles and I immediately thought of my limitations. :umm: The first one being, I don't HAVE a Hot Tub. :rofsign:(Hypothetically) Yet another impossibility. When will I be able to Roll On The Floor and Laugh Out Loud? :rotfl: I can do this:yay: but what's that got to do with anything? :skep:

Ladies, one day we will be normal and we WILL :rofsign:
 
Hi Speedy, I am just catching up with you. Great progress.
I found that when I started to be able to walk normally upstairs I could only do it in the middle of the day. First thing and later in the day were still one step at a time.
It comes with time and practice. Every bit of progress is another milestone on your journey.
Hope you have a great day today.
Hugs
Toothfairy x :bicycle2: :yahoo: :flwrysmile:
 
Great to hear from you Nomorepain67, cycling67, Bionic woman2, Toothfairy. And nice to meet you Pjmc -glad you find this thread and forum helpful. Us girls certainly have a wealth of experiences in the knee department!:heehee:

Well Brenda, I explained to my husband that I was going to try this exercise on the floor and would he help me to get up - the problem was I couldn't get down! My god you must be supple:spin:how the heck you manage that is a mystery you marvelous woman:bow: . You'll definitely be in the next Olympic games. I did do it but used the bed!! Thanks for the exercise though Brenda any others from anywhere would be gratefully received!

Stacie, you are doing so well and definitely need a gold medal - you sure are leading the way for us and I will try to follow...the treadmill and squats are amazing. It's so encouraging to hear of such progress. I've come to the conclusion I have a male knee, temperamental and awkward (oops sorry men):rotfl:

I know what you mean about the stairs Toothfairy, that is exactly what I can do. I like knowing I'm the same as someone else it gives me comfort to know I'm 'similar'!

And Bionic woman2 I would also love to get into the bath but the fear of having to contact the fireservice to haul me out definitely puts me off. Believe me that would not be a pretty site!! The diet will have to start soon - far too much comfort eating been going on!:umm:

Pjmc you are definitely not alone - we are all in this together. The great comfort is knowing that there are so many others experiencing the same and we can support and comfort each other.

Hope you all have a great 'knee' day
Big hugs to you all
:dancy::bicycle1: :dancy:
 
OK the consensus is that the stretch occur on the bed. LOL I will continue to get to the floor but everyone please keep your eye to the sky for a flare IF I get stuck. :)

Bionic Woman2: You are SO funny!!! I love my hot tub and it really helps to loosen my muscles but the issue is my muscles don't stay loose. It is like afer a short period of time they tighten up. I would be happy to share my hot tub with anyone if you were in the area.

I can't wait until my muscles are just hanging there until I tell them to flex.

@Pjmc: Welcome to the thread and YOU ARE NOT ALONE! We are in this together, each and every one of us. I can attest to the comfort and help that I have received from so many people. I am doing well is some areas and not so well in other areas, but the goal is to just continue on.

All my best to each and every one of you!
Brenda
 
Lol best chain ever .. I did our hot tub a week or so ago while "helping" me steady myself while getting in my hubby grabbed the bottoms of my suit he thought it was a one piece . Well I went one way he held on a bit to tight and yep I mooned our brand new neighbors. Then my hub left me in the tub while he was doubled over in laughter in the house. I've not been in since .
Love the on the floor excersize idea but lawd I would need a crane to get back up..

Take care all .... and yes trader joes is the bomb.
 
:rofsign: This must be the new comic relief thread. :rotfl: We got people "blue mooning" their neighbors, :shocked: flares going up :headbang: and the fire department coming out to provide assistance. HELP! :sos: I've fallen and I can't get up! lol :umm: Why is that not that not that funny anymore? :umm:

I'll add one more "rescue hero" to the mix, in the event that my my fat behind gets stuck between the handle bars of my "throne" aka the elevated toilet seat, kindly call whoever is responsible for bringing THE JARS OF LIFE to pry my rump out of it. I must remember to "wear" clean underwear in preparation for this adventure. :heehee:

Speaking of weight, I made a triple chocolate cakes today for dinner guests tomorrow. Actually, I add the 3rd element of chocolately goodness tomorrow. Trying to break things into stages as not to overdo it. I LOVE cooking, it was so good to be back in the kitchen if only for a short period. Tomorrow I make the dinner. I'm gonna start early and takes breaks. Icing and elevating is the secret ingredient included in all of the recipes. :tada:

Have a good night ladies and a great day tomorrow. :flwrysmile:
 
The triple chocolate cake sounds wonderful Bionic woman2 i can just imagine it.....mmmmmmmmmmmm That definitely sounds my sort of pud. It's good to be doing things you enjoy isn't it? Normality here we come!:happydance:And please try not to get stuck on your throne....

@karl1963 what have you been up to? i hope you get on with your new neighbours. I suppose that's one way to introduce yourself LOL:rotfl: at least you cant surprise them anymore. I'm sure they thought you were just being friendly!!!

Well i've been on another little jaunt to yet another garden centre with hubby. Yes, I love gardening and have missed doing it but they are great places to look around as the carpark is near and they are always flat and undercover. Also have good coffee shops too. Cake not as good as yours i'm sure Bionic woman2. Home again now with leg elevated and iced. Wont it be great when we can stay out longer and not have to do this when we get back. I know what your thinking - she's never satisfied!

Have a great day all. :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom