THR So it begins...

@313Lola wow, you are truly amazing in your progress. I had my surgery a week before and am not progressing as you have but we all go at our own pace, I'm to use the walker for 6 weeks, surgeons rule. I don't see him til august 2nd. I'm so happy for you. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
I am completely shocked too @cpollock

Thanks for the kind words... Yes to all of us moving forward, regardless of pace and timing.

Wishing you a great day and lovely weekend! We've got this!
 
Hope you had a good weekend 313Lola... The human body is truly amazing when we let it do what it needs to do to heal.
Hoping you had a great weekend and have been getting lots of rest.
 
@Mojo333 It was a nice weekend. Showed off my walking skills Saturday... ached and rested on Sunday. Not sure I qualify for senior membership in the overdid it club... but probably reached junior status!

Hope you're feel strong and well.
 
Heehee. I have so many posts and days like that. 'ooooh, I did dah dah dah, and dee dee dee and I was able to blah blah blah...
next day... I am icing and elevating. My butt muscles hurt, my groin is tight, I hope Im gonna be okay (i was) etc.
We learn to find that fine line, but usually unfortunately by overdoing it a bit. Which Im not sure is so bad as long as it is a little bit and then we take some extra time.
Keep on keeping on Girl. You are doing splendidly.
 
Grateful for....

Walking outside, with a cane, but regardless...walking in the sunshine... Hearing children playing... Birds chirping...

Sitting in a chair, on the deck, bees buzzing, a cool drink, working on my laptop in the shade.... Without pain.

Having the strength and energy to do a little cooking... Something i love and have missed.

The general lack of pain... How free it feels to be rid of the grinding, aching, shooting pain that plagued me and crushed my spirit...

The joy of feeling more like the "real" me again. A person who smiles. Laughs. Is energetic and enthusiastic. Filled with hope.

I have a long way to go, but i have faith in what my surgeon has done... I can see the good work in my films. I really must hug that man at my next appointment!

Thought it would be wise to document how much there is to be grateful for... Something to revisit the next time I am feeling frustrated or blue.

What are you grateful for?




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
How beautiful @313Lola!
What a lovely idea!

So many things to be grateful for, where does one begin?
Beside the type of things you mentioned @313Lola.....just a new appreciation for all life holds.....I'm thankful to the Lord and for my faith as He has carried me through this. I must also give a nod to modern medicine and whoever came up with the replacement idea to give us all another chance at life! Years ago many of us may have been looking at life in a wheelchair. I'm also thankful for Bonesmart and the wonderful people I've communicated with here. It's been great to be encouraged and to be an encourager. Wish I could meet you all!
Continued healing to everyone and a life full of all that's good!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well said to both. I have always been a very upbeat and energetic person. Five years of misdiagnoses and ever increasing pain... With no relief... Culminating in the last year with literally no sleep, depression, body wide inflammation... At 11 weeks I'm still truly amazed. I have such hope for a full happy pain free life. Double THR was never in the plan but I am like you Lola, the small beautiful things are so much easier to see and love when you aren't in chronic pain.
Grateful also for Bonesmart!!!
 
Well said all, and yes so thankful for bone smart... I am thankful that I am starting to re-join my life again, that I have things I can look forward to, that I had a man that stuck by me that I was sure was going to leave through all this, that I have good friends who looked in on me, I have a job I can go back to should I decide to, that the worst is behind me and I am thankful for learning that I am stronger than I ever thought I was. Also thankful that I just happen to stumble upon a truly gifted surgeon that was able to put me back together just like new!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@313Lola Ahhh, boredom. I cleaned out some boxes in my closet today, the ones that had been there for 3 years since we moved in... I went through them, item by item. My closets are going to look good in another week. I'm also going to have a lot of trash to take out.
 
Hello @313Lola
It's so kind of you to ask about my post op doctor visit. It was yesterday and I did post an update somewhere? Can't recall if it was on my thread, or not.

All went well with PT, I loved the physical thereapist so that always helps in making a pleasant experience.
I'm scheduled for 12 sessions, twice weekly for 1/2 hr ea. but she'll determine how many sessions are necessary as we progress.

My X-ray looked good and I was cleared to drive when I feel comfortable. I was able to ditch the TED socks as well as those DVT cuffs! I felt as though I was being held hostage with those things! I had many questions answered. All of the variety of when can I do this, or that.

My only concern is that I have some swelling that started 4-5 days ago behind my knee / very uppermost calf in back of knee. There is also bruising involved on the kneecap itself as well as the side and back of the knee. That is why he's not concerned. He asked me questions and prodded around. He explained that gravity pulls the blood from surgery down naturally. He just mentioned to monitor it and if it worsens or doesn't begin to slowly dissipate within 10 days to let him know and they'd do an MRI to rule out blood clot. That kind of concerned me as I can be a worrier. I just continue to console myself with the fact that he said he wasn't concerned. Hopefully it will just resolve soon on its own.

I hope all is going well with your recovery and wish you a great day!
 
Day 24... Feeling like a teenager!

Today I DROVE my car!!! :driver: Felt like I was 17 & just got my license. So good to be independent and back on the road.

Decided to make an appointment for a manicure. 10 minute drive to salon; hour appt; 10 minute drive home. It was perfect! And my nails look nice too!

Looking forward to future short outings... coffee shop, bread store, shoe store, etc.

Hoping everyone is having a great day.
 
So glad for you 313Lola, good that you can go and do. Be super careful, dont let any of those fools run into you.
 
Day 24 Part 2....

After the excitement of they morning, the afternoon was more like a 3 years old's birthday party...

You know what happens... The birthday girl had do much fun, she wears out and falls asleep in her cake!

Yup... Massive energy drain this afternoon. Big nap!

Have a great weekend fellow honours!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@313Lola...make sure about manicure...my surgeon instructed me no mani...pedi...or pools for first 3 months...cannot get any infection !actually these instructions were also in one of my folders to read with all the pre and post op info...but then again so many surgeons give different orders...just make sure!!! So happy you are feeling good....love to hear this from people on here!! Continued good health to you!!!! ❤
 
@Donnarita good reminder... I only had them refill the acrylic and change polish... No work on the cuticles. My surgeon and the packet didn't specify, but as you say... Better safe than sorry.

Pedi i scheduled will also be limited, most just toe nail trim and polish change.

Hope you are having a great weekend. Thanks for the good advice/reminder.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good morning @313Lola,
I heard the same about nail salons through a woman I know who had a hip replacement. When she was able to drive, first trip was to the nail salon to treat herself to a pedicure. She woke that night with a throbbing toe. It was an infection which necessitated a round of antibiotics and a stern warning from her doctor.....stay away!

I'm dying for a pedicure. Gave myself one (painful process) right before surgery. I used a nude colored polish figuring it would last the longest. It's 4 weeks now, it's not looking good! I'm sorry but I refuse to ask anyone to clip my toenails. Can't, won't! So yesterday I took out my electric razor and I shaved my good leg, put on some soothing whipped Coconut Cream from Trader Joe's on shaved leg afterward, trimmed and filed my toenails and applied a pretty pink polish. Problem is......it doesn't match the leg with the new hip! Been contemplating going into the local nail salon, bringing my own, clippers, file and polish and seeing if I can get someone to fix me up without making me submerge my foot / leg into their unsanitary tubs. I heard that's where the germs lie, in the tubes that drain and fill the tubs. Something to think about in these early months.
Enjoy your day!
 
I am in desperate need of leg shaving @Layla! Your legs sound so pretty :heehee:.

I have asked hubby for duct tape... want to take off the sponge from the stick and replace it with my razor. I'm not very hairy... but there are isolated trees that need to be cut down, pedi or no pedi.

Your cautionary tale is making me rethink my plan... I may cancel that appointment. I really like my salon, very clean, but I don't want to court trouble either... My toes don't look terrible, but they don't look pretty either.

SIGH. I guess this is another test of patience. Thanks for sharing.
 
Hi @313Lola
I heard it mentioned on this site that some have duct taped a razor to a ruler to shave their legs. I haven't tried it.
I bought an electric razor about a year ago because I just don't have that much hair growth on my legs anymore. A tad here, tad there, it's weird. Part of aging I guess!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom