Guest viewing is limited

THR So it begins...

FIVE week anniversary!

I have been back to cooking! Made braised short ribs yesterday. They're better the second day so we're having it tonight... the whole family together. I am psyched! Golly I wish I could drink- a good bottle of Oregon pinot noir... or a bold Italian barbaresco... or a Spanish rioja... another 10 days or so and I can get back to enjoying some good wine with dinner!

Anyway... I can get around better... walking without cane and avoiding the limp distance/stamina is improving- VERY slowly. Patience is wearing thin here... so easy to wish for healing in weeks, not months. I sound like a broken record.

One whiner complaint: Restless legs at night.
I'm back to taking the iron supplement and a multi-vitamin... going to see if that helps with the nervy leg when I'm trying to get to sleep.

I did a bonesmart search and read a few suggestions...
1. A bit of walking and stretches before bed might help.... gonna try this tonight
2. Tonic water... drink a glass before bedtime... something about quinine in it may help.
3. Get out of bed and stand on the cold bathroom tile, this idea sticks out to me... our bath tile is FREEZING... may give this a shot too...
4. Meds... I am on gabapentin, which is supposed to help with nerve pain... there are others, but I'd prefer to avoid more meds if possible.

This is supposed to be a temporary issue... hopefully this too shall pass!

Heading out with daughter to a yarn shop today. Yay! Wishing everyone a great day.
 
Gonna try the tonic water also...gone to get any so Tylenol and transfer tonight.
Been massaging legs but ooh...do aggravating. Oh my started. Yeah, exercising moving my legs feels better, I keep getting up, but got to rest sometimes.
Oh my stars...it is annoying
 
@Mojo333 has the tonic water helped? I am taking the multi-vitamin + extra iron... that's seems to be helping. Still sleeping poorly some nights, but it's not related to nervy/jumping legs.
 
Day 38... Testing the limits today. Ran several errands. Was out 2+ hours, in and out of shops, tanking up the car, etc. Leg was tired when I got home. Elevating, icing and a bit achy this afternoon.

Hoping I didn't push too hard. But boy oh boy- it felt so good to do normal things. I'm finding it easier to get in and out of car... I can tell the 6-wk precaution period is nearly over. I won't be able to bend down all the way yet... but range of motion is definitely improving, without PT, as my Dr said it would.

I take my cane when I'm out... but mostly it's to put folks on notice: "I'm not stable; please be careful around me."
 
Recovery is all about finding your limits at one particular time, scaling back if needed and trying again another day. Sounds like you did a lot today. All yourself time to rest, ice and elevate tomorrow to get ready for another active day.

You are doing very well!
 
Great job Lola. I actually do think the tonic water helped, much to my chagrin, cuz I haven't found a mixer that negates that tart aftertaste. But doable. I did the same with the cane, took for just in case and yeah don't be jostling me!
 
I agree @313Lola that it's so great to do normal things again. Things we took for granted until they became difficult. I went grocery shopping last Monday for the first time, by myself, like a big girl! I went early so the store was quiet. Didn't know how I'd hold up but it went well. I shopped leisurely getting everything on my list and it felt like such an accomplishment. I had to laugh at that feeling of accomplishment when I got back into my car. A new appreciation for something I never gave a second thought.....prior to pain.

I was just telling my son yesterday that the most gratifying change for me has been getting out of my car. I dreaded it! I had to grab onto my pants at the thigh, or lift my thigh from underneath to get my leg off the seat, groin pain was that bad. Lowering my leg was the painful part. Then there were the few seconds of "settling in" as I referred to it before I could take steps. UGH!! I stil can't believe I can lift my leg on its own and lower it with no pain. I mutter a "Thank you, Jesus" every time.......simply still amazed.

It sounds as though you are doing really well. Can't believe we'll be coming up on 6 weeks already in a mere 3 days. I recall the early days of recovery in my recliner projecting myself out this far, daydreaming really about how I'd be functioning at this point. Well.....we've arrived and I'm sure you'll agree life is good.
Wishing you a great weekend!
 
Thanks @Jacey I am resting today. I think I managed to stop just short of overdoing it. Felt a bit stiff this morning, but yesterday's activities didn't mess with my sleep... SO GRATEFUL for that. Poor sleep would have been the signal that I went too far.

Really excited about tomorrow! Wasn't sure if things were going to work out... Thankfully they did.

We are heading to our family's lake house! My goal had been to get there one week later, but since I am doing so well we are heading up one week early. TWO WEEKS of tranquility!

Son will join us part of first week, daughter will arrive as he departs (disappointed they won't be there at same time, but new post-college careers limit their flexibility). She'll stay most of the second week.

I should be able to use a "sit on top" kayak and get out on the lake for some short paddles. I have enough range of motion to be able to sit in an adirondack chair fireside in the evenings. LIFE IS GOOD. :kayak::realing:

I don't think I am up to getting on my mtn bike yet... but walks in the woods are going to be a wonderful way to increase stamina.

Glad you are feeling less restless leg @Mojo333.

@Layla I haven't gone for groceries yet... definitely think that's my next "big" outing. I love to cook and grocery shopping is something I enjoy- it lets me scope out ingredients and get creative about meal planning. I was in so much pain pre-op (we can all relate, right?!) that hubs did all the shopping since December. It's about time for me to resume that "chore."

I echo the "thank you Jesus" feeling too. Just about cried (joyful) as I started the car. It hit me like- "Wow... look what you can do now... without pain.... without using my arm to lift my leg!"

Well.. time to stretch and walk a little. Then back to icing and knitting. Have a BEAUTIFUL everyone.
 
@313Lola I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get here, and I confess I've not read your thread...anyway, LAKE HOUSE for two weeks, hurrayyyyyy!!!! That will be wonderful for all parts of you. We get 4 days on Cape Cod at the end of the month only because of my mother-in-law's memorial service being there then. I hope we can get up again; it is really wonderful to be where you really want to be, isn't it.

I am waiting for that particular "thank you Jesus" in the car, but I still have plenty of thankful moments even at 2+ weeks!

I saw a post you made about having a new pair of Tom's and loving them. I too bought a pair with the new memory foam innersole,,,,,,,,,,and I hate them! They are cut longer and narrower, and the worst part is that the comfy innersole smells awful after only a few hours of wearing. I have had to remove it and go with a Dr Scholl's white perforated foam innersole, the really cheap kind. I have a pair from two summers ago that did not smell after 7 months of day-in-day-out wear! Let me know if you have the same problem. If you don't, it's my feet at fault, ugh!
 
Life is starting to feel wonderful and normal again hey @313Lola that's awesome you are heading out to the lake early and get to spend time with your kids too. It will be more one on one time as they're not there the same time but take what you can get for sure. All the fresh air and exercise will do you good. Enjoy. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks @cpollock (Cheryl). Five hour ride went really well. First 20 mins were rough. I sat there thinking... holy cow, how am I ever going to survive 5 hours of this?! But once we got off the back roads and onto the highway it was fine. Made one stop to stretch legs, restroom... went really well. Got a few groceries... managed to get around the store just fine. Then laid down, took tylenol and iced for 90 mins when we got to camp. Went for a short walk and relaxed the rest of the day. So very glad to be up here. Hubs telecommutes so he can work wherever there's a good internet connection. I'm prepping for fall classes. When we're not working, there are beautiful private lanes and trails for walking... and I can't wait to get on the water! Son loves to fish and we'll have steak and smores... daughter likes the standup paddle board and we'll spend time knitting. So very grateful to get some time up here. We usually spend most of the summer back and forth... when we pulled in yesterday our neighbor was relieved to see us. They weren't around when we were here last (2 days before surgery) and it's been 6 weeks... not normal summer behavior for us.

@zauberflöte I don't think I've worn my Toms for long enough stretches to make them stinky. I highly doubt its because of YOUR feet! :heehee: These are my first pair so I don't have anything to compare them to... I'm thinking they will be my "inside" shoes. I usually wear an old pair of crocs, but sometimes I stub my toe and nearly trip in them... definitely don't want to fall so I may retire them. Good idea to change the inner sole.

Have a great Monday everyone.
 
Hi @313Lola,
Glad you made it to your destination safely. Sounds like you are relaxed and enjoying yourself already.
How wonderful! A change of scenery can be the best medicine, especially when nature is involved. You have to look up a post of @Mojo333 from the other day as she floated on a pond......just taking in nature. It's amazing all nature has to offer when we take the time to BE STILL.
Hope you have a great week of relaxation and continued healing.
 
Oh @313Lola that sounds heavenly, exactly the kind of retreat I'd love too! A little work, a lot of food, a lot of family fun-- wonderful! You will heal in all ways out there! I have to ask, are you in the Poconos? Because my street is called Pocono :snork:

And about those Toms, my new ones started stinking after only a few days of only a couple hours wear each day :yikes: I am not pleased! I loved my first pair so much I made them my summer shoes-- wear all the time everywhere. I am in love with Toms, and every summer I get to find a pair on sale and then save them for the next summer :SUNsmile:
 
@zauberflöte we aren't in the Poconos. It's nice there, but a bit too crowded for our liking. We're in the Adirondacks (upstate NY) northeast of Syracuse by about two hours. We're on inlet to a small, non-motorized lake. Very peaceful and quiet. @Mojo333 I didn't read your thread yet, but @Layla mentioned you floating on a pond. To me, that's a little slice of heaven. The sky, sun, water, some birds... so very good for the soul!

Just got back from a walk... going a bit farther every day. Testing out my leg strength... starting to tackle steps. Going up/down stairs with single leg is getting a bit old for my liking. Checked out adirondack chairs by the fire ring. It felt pretty comfy and most important, I should be able to reach with a long pokie-stick to roast hotdogs and marshies!

I should get back to work :groan: but I think I'll get caught up on everyone's threads first.
 
I love the Adirondacks @313Lola ! I don't actually know the Poconos, having only driven through them once. That pokie-stick for marshies is the most important accessory of all to summer! Happy walking and testing steps etc-- I am right by you in spirit!!!! Ahhh, the relaxing.....
 
Sounds wonderful...yeah, it's a pretty wonderful world until life happens..
Glad you are progressing...no falling down, go boom. Hold on when going up down stairs please!!!
 
Day 44... the high point- spending an hour in my kayak. The low point- getting nipped on the back of the operated leg. It was... horrible.

Here's what happened:

Dear son helped me get onto the sit-on-top. Easy peasey! Had a lovely time paddling and reading in the sun. Absolutely perfect. Probably spent a bit more time out there than I should have... but totally worth it.

After lunch I decided to go for my daily walk. Our camp is on a private, flat, dirt lane. Perfect for exercising my hip. Each day I extend the walk to another 1-2 mailboxes down the lane. Other than wishing I had put on bug spray before I left, everything was going fine. Despite the kayak time, the leg felt good. I bring the cane, just in case, but I really try to focus on walking tall and not relying on it.

Got to the point where I turned around and watched a crew of workers who are adding an addition and renovating a camp... they have a great spot on the lake. After admiring their progress, I headed back. Got to the next driveway when 2 medium/large dogs came running at me from the woods just beyond... barking loudly. The one had a mean bark, growly/snarly. I tried to stay calm... shushing.. using my cane as a bit of a blocker. The one didn't really threaten, was just tagging along. But the other, was very scary. I thought I got past them and they would just continue. Instead, the nasty one came around behind me and nipped the back of my leg- mid thigh.

This is my operated leg. It was a nip- fortunately I changed into jeans after kayaking so it didn't get through the fabric. But the skin broke a little and it immediately started bruising. It hurt enough to really scare me. I slowly made my way to the construction crew... only one bothered to pay me any attention. He went to tell the owners to call in their dogs. I stood there, nearly having a panic attack, crying, and none of the others cared.

So, I walked home. Trembling. Crying. Terrified. :bolt:

Hubs was working downstairs. Dear son tended to me. Took pictures of the injury. We iced it and put on neosporin. I contacted my surgeon re: infection risk. Mostly I thanked God that I wasn't knocked down.

Once I calmed down... and that took quite a while, I started calling to find out who owned the dogs. There have been numerous apologies since then. I filed a report with animal control this morning. Grateful it wasn't more serious and praying it doesn't happen again to me or anyone else.

I'm planning to walk this afternoon. Hubs or son will join me- gotta get back on that horse, so to speak.

We didn't let it mar the evening... spent 2.5 hours sitting by the fire. Roasted weenies and marshies. So good.

Today I'm a bit sore. Tried to cut back on some meds... but with the increased activity, it's just too soon. Have been resting this morning. Haven't decided if I'll get back on the water today- weather looks dicey for tomorrow, so I might push it a bit now and only rest when it rains.
 
oh UGH @313Lola dog bite trauma! I am so sorry! You probably ought to go get a tetanus shot today...that's the first thing I had to do on a similar occasion years ago. I am SO GLAD you have the owners to hand. And I am SO GLAD you went on to have a lovely evening! Golly, so much time around the fire-- how do you keep the mosquitoes away??????
 
Oh @313Lola, I'm so sorry....that had to have been terrifying. I too would have felt each of the emotions you expressed. I guess I'm curious what the doc had to say since skin was broken..
I'm glad you are now relaxing and hopefully will enjoy the rest of your vacation without incident.
A great weekend to you!
 
Dr said since no deep puncture the risk of infection is minimal. But i accepted the scrip for antibiotics that was offered.

Bruising like mad!

Neighbors are not happy... Animal control, health dept are now involved. Unfortunate but necessary.

Thanks got the well wishes @Layla and @zauberflote


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom